Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Your Underrated XI
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I am going to do this team for the premiership, but feel free to do any league, or just your underrated best in world football. We all love those players who work their ass off for the club. Sometimes players don't get the dues that they should, still they are professional footballers.... Life can't be too hard

GK:Thomas Sorensen real beast in the net, the last line of defence in a defensive squad. Getting up there in age, but a real class goalkeeper. Tim Howard or Mark Shwarzer may have been in here a few years ago but they are highly rated goalkeepers at the moment.

RBhil Neville he's getting up there in years but he is a tremendous player, captain at Everton he isn't as highly rated as he was with United. Great defender though, strong and determined, I think we can all agree he is way cooler than his brother as well

CB:Chris Samba a rock for Blackburn's defence, though it seems there are some people after him in the transfer market he isn't that coveted by premiership pundits and the like. Everyone knows he is a great defender, but he isn't a superstar like John Terry or Rio Ferdinand. Maybe if he made a move to a bigger club that would change a bit, but he is immense for Blackburn. Always winning the ball in the air and getting blocks in, class defender

CB:Ciaran Clark need a little youth in the team with all these old guys haha, Clark is a superb defender, he can play as a left back or in the midfield as well. He's got a bright future I wonder if he will stay at Villa, he's certainly class

LB:George Elokobi another real solid defender always very impressed with him whenever I watch Wolves. Strong fast he doesn't give up much, it would actually be cool if Liverpool signed him, we are in need of a left back. Although Flanagan and Robinson are beasts coming through the ranks and Johnson did very well there, Aurelio is class but is always injured. Good defender Elokobi I am glad that wolves stayed up

RW:Matt Jarvis his stock rose quite a bit last season, got his England call up and he was Wolves player of the season but still fairly underrated in my opinion. Plus there aren't really any youtube montages of his skill or scoring goals, thus he is fairly under the radar haha. Wicked fast, quick feet, smart touch, plays in a great ball he has all the qualities you want in a winger. Doesn't score loads of goals, but he contributes, more in the vain of an old school winger, super talent. Mick McCarthy has said he won't sell him so that's cool like to see players stay at clubs like Wolverhampton

CDM:Cheick Tiote he may as well be a legend in Newcastle for the goal he scored against Arsenal but outside of Newcastle he hasn't got much notice. Super classy midfielder though, every time I watch him I am impressed. Amazing tackler, tough as nails and he reads the game well. Great passer too, he starts the attack very well and his awareness is top notch. He signed a new contract as well, classy

LW:Matthew Etherington a very fun player to watch, he scored some cracking goals this past season and he can pick out a cross with the best of them. Sublime left foot, again more of an old school winger type in my mind, great player though.

CAM:Mikel Arteta silky on the ball I really like him and Timmy Cahill even if they do play for Everton. I am surprised there isn't more acclaim for Arteta, he has had some injuries been whenever he plays he looks really influential, knows how to pull the strings in the midfield. Can really hit a freekick as well, if he was any nationality other than Spanish he would be a big part of any national team.

AT:Clint Dempsey the man one of my favorite players in the world and an idol of mine. Just a beast Demps he always has a black eye from getting stuck in and winning headers, a warrior for club and country. Fulham fans voted him player of the season clearly the fans love him, but he always has to win over the manager haha. He scores big goals, scrappy goals, and beautiful goals and he can create for his teammates as well. Very versatile attacker Demps you can put him out wide, in the hole or up top and he will work hard and give the defence a hard time. Probably the most creative player to ever come from America, real legend, but in England and Europe I don't think he is very highly rated, though that may be changing.

STirk Kuyt hard to be underrated at a massive club like Liverpool but rarely does Kuyt get mentioned in the best strikers in the prem. He has a v8 engine in his chest but his heart is bigger. Always running Dirk he never stops, always running. He is one of the hardest workers in the game and he scores goals. The fact that he takes penalties for Holland should tell you something, and for Liverpool when Gerrard is unavailable, he is cool as a cucumber in front of net. Not the flashiest player but class through and through.

Manager: Mick McCarthy, love the guy cracks me the f**k up every time he talks. And he has kept Wolves up two seasons in a row, as well as beating some big clubs last year in style
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Lindegaard- according to Peter Schmiechel he is not good enough for united but as many of you have seen over the past few weeks he is a solid keeper. De gea night spend the season as #2
Hutton- I hear arsenal fans saying sagne is the best right back in the premier league.... Wrong. Hutton is class but doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves. He I much better than corluka who is spurs 1st choice when fit.
Bramble- many people say he is the worst defender in the league and even make fun of him but that's completely not true. Yes he has made some costly mistake but he is still a great defender who isn't afraid to put his body on the line for his team. I noticed his qualities when he was at wigan. He was sunderland's best defender last season.

Sol Bamba- don't know much about him but I watched him recently and was amazed at his defensive quality and how alert and quick he was.

Keiran Richardson- because he didn't make it at united many people don't pay him much attention but he is ranked below evra, cole as the best LWBs in the league.

Catermole- he migh have a bad attitude but he is a top box to box midfielder and steve bruce knows this. Bruce took him to wigan when he was manager and again to sunderland and made him captain at 22.

Will continue later
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
Hey Duncan, Your list of players would have been true at various stages in their careers. The likes of Sorensen, Neville and Dempsey have seen their best days.

Somere, I'm afraid you're so wrong about Hutton. What lets him down is his defensive qualities (or lack of them....) which are quite crucial for a EPL RB. He was horrible most of last season and that's why most Spurs supporters rather see Corluka, Kaboul or indeed Kyle Walker in that position
North I can agree with you to an extent. Getting older for sure but still hold it down for their team, and perhaps because they are older they are underrated. Dempsey certainly has still got it in him. What would be your replacements if you think they are too old though. Cheers
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
J. S. Park needs to be Captain, Manager and Director of any EPL under-rated team
Ya Ji Sung used to be an obvious one, but I feel like he got a lot of praise this past season and maybe doesn't fit into the underrated category anymore. Probably still does but, c'est la vie
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
--------De Sanctis-----

--Abate---Zapata--Matias---Balzaretti

-------Ilicic---Asamoah--------

----------Cossu--------------

Quags-----Di Vaio------Di Natale---

That's MY two cents, anyway
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
I like ilicic, he is a wonderful player. I was hoping united would sign him but he signed a new contract a few months back so his release clause is at least 20 million
I don't follow Serie A too closely but I am digging the list Prag. Jovetic I am always immensely impressed with, and he may be a little on the underrated side after missing last season, still highly coveted though I assume. Vargas is class too and I don't hear his name discussed often
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Jovetic is all class. But I don't think he's underrated, he wasn't discussed much maybe because he was sidelined for the whole season. Tbh, can't wait to see him in action this season.
I thought of putting Vargas on the LB, but then again, Balzaretti is a tank and more underrated!

And Illicic is one hell of a player, but unfortunately always over-shadowed by Pastore...
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Enyeama
Boateng Carragher Abiol Aurelio
L. Diarra S. Keita
Musa J. Obi A. Johnson
Balotelli(he is an amazing player and most people never praise him for his skill)
Eneyama is one of my favorite goalkeepers in the world. Carra, what a legend not so sure about Balotelli, he is good but maybe not underrated. Johnson though is pure class, and I do think he deserves a little more praise, Keita of course, him and Yaya were both very underrated in their time at Barca
Balotelli is good as you said. But I hardly see people praising his ability. Always talkin about his poor additude. And yes Yaya was so underrated. And so is Busquets. Johnson is one of my favorite if not my favorite winger
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
A player on £100k a week is quite obviously not under-rated. Such a shame he's a world class nob
I would agree with that statement but a lot of City's players are overpaid and does not determine how people rate them
Jimmybreeze 3 years ago
I thought I'd add some wood to the fire.
Remaining in the English Premier League

----------------c. Gordon--------------------

-A. Hutton---R. Huth---G. Givet---C. Salcido-

M. Albrighton--T. Cahill--S. Holden--V. Moses

----------r. Pavlyuchenko S. Fletcher--------
Nice list man, Albrighton and Holden are class, two of my favorite midfielders in the prem. And of course Timmy Cahill is fantastic, Moses has loads of potential to be sure we'll see if he realizes it. Salcido I really dig too, him and Dempsey have the Mexican-American connection, not so sure about Hutton being underrated though. Gordon is class, and both strikers are superb in front of net, can't argue with your team, real good stuff
Jimmybreeze 3 years ago
Cheers man, I thought you'd like the Salcido connection. With connection to A. Hutton, I just had a hard time picking a right back and I remembered a couple of his very good solo goals not that long ago and went with him. Moses is as you said = bags of potential but he's another spot I had a hard time figuring out. But the rest, I'm glad you see too are class act players. Nice topic man, it got me thinking
Ya right back was a tough one to choose, Phil Neville is definitely getting real old haha. Hutton is good, I just don't know how solid a defender he is, certainly good going forward. Your center backs are awesome though, solid and definitely undervalued, cheers
Dgrant117 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Ok, here goes.... I was bored but here is my list of an underrated Starting XI from The EPL.

----------------j. Jääskeläinen-----------------

---l. Baines--C. Samba--D. Agger--P. Bardsley---

-----------j. Obi Mikel---D. Fletcher-----------

--L. Osman-------N. Kranjcar---------J. S. Park--

------------------h. Rodallega-------------------

Comments?
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Baines is not underrated, nor is Samba or Agger. The rest is spot on IMO
I was going to put in Sagna for Baines, but I wasn't sure if he was underrated or not. Samba imo, is defiantely underrated because he helped his team survive relegation battle and not much people talk about him. I guess I could say that Agger isn't underrated anymore, but a few seasons back he definately was for Liverpool
I think Samba is underrated as well. Baines definitely not after last season, and Dagger has always been praised and sung highly of in Liverpool circles don't really know about the rest of the prem how they see him. Kranjcar and Osman were my favorite picks from yours Dgrant, classy choices there, top rate, the rest of the team is good as well
Thanks Don, your team is pretty classy too.... My favorites are Dempsey and Arteta

Kick4Life - changing lives through football