Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Your Team's Alltime Best XI
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
So like every player that has ever played for your team, make a squad!
So like you could have Daglish and Gerrard playing in the same squad and David Villa and Ronaldinho together!
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
A little difficult.
The famous 4-3-3 formation

GK - Zubizaretta

RB - Dani Alves
CB - Puyol or Migueli
CB - Koeman
LB - Sergi

Dmf - Josep Guardiola
CM - Xavi
Amf - Messi

FW - Cruyff, Kubala, Stoichov

This was definitely a hard task.... Left out a lot of great players.
It has to be noted though that it was easy to leave out Maradona, Ronaldo, and Romario because of their short stints at the club
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
No, no, no.... You simply couldn't leave out Romario. No way! He was magic when he played for Barca, the best striker I've ever seen!
Romario is great and quickly became a fan favourite but his impact on the club wasn't like that of the 3 forwards above.

If I included these players I think it would be Cruyff, Maradona, Ronaldo though.

Imagine that team. 4 of the greatest ever dribblers ever
I was just completely in awe of Romario at the time. I watched just about every Barca match between 1991 - 1997. I would also seriously consider having Michael Laudrup in an all-time Barca team
I was going to put him in there instead of Messi as the ATM.

Laudrup definitely does deserve a mention though. Him and Guardiola defined the current Barca midfield
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Nice topic!
Here is my BEST XI. Paris SG:

GK
Bats

DF
Kombouaré - Roche - Heinze

MF
Ginola - Valdo - Rai - Le Guen - Guerin

CF
Weah - Pauleta
Ronaldinho doesn't make it?
That was a tough one for the midfield, as those I put took part of PSG`s best years during the mid-90s.

Gaucho has been awesome during his spell in Paris! > but he did not really make history at the club compared with Ginola, Rai, Le Guen, Valdo, Guerin, Bravo
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
GK:Ray Clemence

RBhil Neal
CB:Carragher
CB:Alan Hansen
LB:Alan Kennedy

RM:Steve McManaman
CM:Steven Gerrard
LM:John Barnes

CF:Michel Owen/Fernando Torres
AM:King Kenny
CF:Ian Rush
Ian RUSH my favorite ^^
That guy was amazing. Only reason why he didn't win ballon d'or because platini won the world cup
I simply couldn't leave Kevin Keegan out of an all-time Liverpool team!
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Nice Kimaway here would be mine

GK:Bruce Grobbelaar

RBhil Neal
CB:Carra
CB:Alan Hansen
LB:Alan Kennedy

RM:Terry McDermott
CM:Graeme Souness
CM:Steven Gerrard
LM:John Barnes

AT:Kenny Dalglish
AT:Ian Rush

Subs:Robbie Fowler, Kevin Keegan, Steve Heighway, Steve McManaman, Phil Thompson, Sami Hypia, Ray Clemence
Our teams are really similar
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Haha ya bud, couldn't really argue with the back line. And as much as I love a Steve Heighway or Ray Kennedy down the left, it's impossible to leave out Barnes and his immense talent. The guy was just a special special player, he reminds me of Kenny the way he finishes and curls the ball into the upper 90. Probably one of the most technically gifted players I have seen put on a Liverpool shirt. I couldn't put in an Owen or Torres because they now play for two of our rivals and don't deserve it in my mind, Robbie Fowler is more of a true red, and Keegan was just undeniable in his day
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Mine is:

-----------------Petr Cech-------------
Desailly--Ron Harris--John Terry (Capt)---Graeme Le Saux
------------------------Makelele-----------------
--------Dennis Wise----------------Lampard--------
-------Zola------------Peter Osgood----------Drogba-----

Lol I have edited this like 5 times in 20 mins. Subs: Dan Petrescu, Bobby Tambling, Ashley Cole, Arjen Robben, Essien and Jimmy Greaves
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I was gonna' do a similair squad with A. Cole instead od Le Saux, so I decided not to post mine, because you wrote down pretty much every chelsea legend I know. -. -
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Loool my bad Ayyam but there are still some players that I left out anyway like - Carvalho, Traitor Gallas, Damien Duff, Gudjohnsen, Di Matteo, Steve Clarke, Paulo Ferriera, Peter Bonetti. In fact, with all these players I listed (+ my subs) you can make a pretty good back-up team
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
They would be unstoppable with this team
Leahu (Arsenal) 3 years ago
-------------Seaman------------
Clichy--Vermaelen--Adams--Dixon
-----------Wilshere------------
---Pires---------Ljungberg---
-------------Nasri-------------
-------Bergkamp---Henry--------
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Isn't Clichy a LB?
Yeah he is    Lb: Clichy  Rb: Dixon  Lcm: Pires  Rcm: Ljungberg    To clear things up
Yeah he is    Lb: Clichy  Rb: Dixon  Lcm: Pires  Rcm: Ljungberg    To clear things up
Why Clichy. The guy is rubbish. Cole is way better. And you also have Winterburn
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Lol, seamen, (sorry couldn't resist)
Haha Ayyam. Are you serious no Patrick Viera? No Sol Campbell. No Cole. No Winterburn. And how can you leave out your second highest goal scorer Ian Wright
You can't blame him on Ian Wright because face it.... Bergkamp and Henry are both great.... Unbelievable.

I think the Invincibles squad needs more representation. Vieira should be there without a doubt. There is too much representation of the current team when they really shouldn't be there yet
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Have to agree with TheBarcaShow. The best arsenal team has got to be the invincibles, just all of them! Get Clichy and Vermaelen out. Winterburn, veira and petit need places. On the sub bench is Ian Wright, Martin Keown, Steve Bould and Michael Thomas. DONE
Bergkamp aka "Iceberg" was awesome alongside Henry back in the day!
Back four adams dixon winterburn keown
Wilshire over Vieira?
Pat Jennings

Steve Perryman - Graham Roberts - Gary Mabbutt - Cyril Knowles

Danny Blanchflower - Glenn Hoddle - Paul Gascoigne - Gareth Bale

Gary Lineker - Jimmy Greaves

Subs: Ray Clemence, Ledley King, Aaron Lennon, Osvaldo Ardiles, Luka Modric, Jurgen Klinsmann, Steve Archibald.

This would mean I would have to leave out superb players like Bobby Smith, Dave Mackay, Cliff Jones, Alan Mullery, Martin Peters, Martin Chivers, Ricardo Villa, Chris Waddle, Darren Anderton, Teddy Sheringham, David Ginola, Dimitar Berbatov, Rafael Van der Vaart, Les Allen (father), Paul Allen (son) and Clive Allen (cousin).
Lineker was outstanding in the 90s. Both for England and Spurs. My favorite is Gazza, I still remember that long range free kick against Gunners in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
-----------------vds----------

Neville----vidic-------foulkes---------bruce

----charlton-------edwards-------------giggs

--voilett----------laws---------------best

Subs; van nistelrooy, taylor, schmeichel, contana, scholes, keane, ferdinand, ronaldo.

F@ck this too many legends to name an all time best XI
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I agree, there's far to many United greats to very well pick the best 11. I would feel unfair leaving people out haha    
Good team. But I would put keane and schimeichel.  
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
I'm surprised you didn't put in Cantona or Beckham
Should be Charlton Law and Best
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
I'm 53 years old, have seen most of these players, and I still couldn't pick a best 11, it would pickle your brain, just lets appreciate what we had.

A big up to all our legends, of who there are plenty
Tony your 53! No wonder your such a genius
Others would say different.... Lol
You think. Well you can't be Footytubes best commenter for nothing can you? And when we did the evaluation for footytuber of the year you were number in every1s list. That's some respect
Cloudst 3 years ago
Seaman

Dixon------Adams------Bould-------winterburn

Vieira---------Rocastle

Pires-------Bergkamp-------Parlour

Henry
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Ok this is mine, but it's really from the start of the 80's as I haven't seen enough on the players before then to make a good judgement on them, but since I have been watching Rangers this is my top XI:

GK: Andy Goram

Def: Hutton, Gough, Butcher, Numan

Mid: Laudrup, Ferguson, Gascoigne, Van Bronkhorst

Att: Hateley, McCoist

Subs: McGregor, Weir, Gattuso, Wilkins, Boyd or Mols

Hmmm I think that would be my ideal 11, if Mol's had stayed injury free he would have been in there for sure, he was amazing with the ball at his feet!

I've left a few out that I really like too, maybe after some careful thought I may come back and tweak my starting line up a bit!
You could argue for a right few more john, albertz, amoruso, to name a few
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Yeah Albertz on the left, I think Gough and Butcher were more consistent than Amoruso, he was a great player though but his tendency to dwell on the ball and get caught out in possession let him down in my opinion! Stuart McCall was a really good gritty midfielder, so was Souness, Ronald De Boer was a big game player and was great to watch sometimes!
Lovenkrands for his ability to score against Celtic alone was great, he didn't do much else mind!
There is so many, and when I sit and think about I remember a few more, could probably name 2 separate teams of players i'd like to see in the starting XI!
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
For me, the greatest Inter squad ever is:

---------------------j. Cesar----------------------

----Zanetti-----Burgnich-----Samuel-----Facchetti----

---------------------Cambiasso----------------------

----l. Matthaus------------------------L. Suarez----

---------------------Sneijder-----------------------

---------------Ronaldo--------Mazzola---------------

Bench: Milito, Jair, Vieri, Maicon, Lucio, Giuseppe Meazza, Recoba, Brehme, Ibrahimovic, Zamorano, Eto'o & Materazzi
Borg (Manchester United) 3 years ago
---------Schmeichel---------
Neville--Bruce---Stam--Irwin
----------------------------
-Best-Charlton--Robson-Giggs
----------------------------
------Cantona--Law----------

Subs:Yorke & Cole, Keano, Ferdinand, Scholes, Evra

Kick4Life - changing lives through football