Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Your FREE Fantasy XI. (Premier League).
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I've seen this being done on a couple of other sites so lets have a go.

There are 123 premier league players being released by their teams this summer, your job is to build your ideal starting line-up from the list:

Link: uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16062011/58/premier-league-...

So heres mine (and yes, you can use retirees if you wish):

GK. Van Der Sar
Df: Sol Cambell, Gary Neville, Jonathon Woodgate, Matthew Upson
Mf: Paul, Scholes, Patrick Viera, Robert Pires, Eidur Gudjohnsen
Fw: Johan Elmander and John Carew
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Neville? 1996 Neville maybe
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Does retiring count as being released?
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
They're on the list, so I'm using them. I was surprised to see them on there but I suppose if you somehow tempt them back into football they'll be free
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
@Ant I do not think this post is based on current form. I think is based on how they played in their prime
Peteko 3 years ago
Van Der Sar is still able to play better than most goalkeeper in their prime. I'd include him. And Scholes too. But Scholes is on the bench.

Oh, I will make a list below
GK:Van Der Sar

RB:Neville
CB:Campbell
CB:Upson
LB:Gardner

RM:Hargreaves
CM:Viera
CM:Boywer
CM:Scholes
LM:Larson

CF:Elmander
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I think it will be impossible not to put Elamander, I remember how great he played at the beggining of the season, but then with the critical acclaim he lost all will to play and was waiting for the big clubs. He is pretty technically gifted for a giant. Man, I feel sorry for Bolton, they lost their star player for free And a sidenote, do you guys think Elamander made the right move going to Gala? Would you rather Bolton or Gala?
Peteko 3 years ago
Hard to say Ayyam.
Gala had like 5 former PL players, last season, so he won't feel a "foreigner" there. They are a major club in history, with record domestic and international silverware. However, they have not been exactly shinning recently. Something is not working for them and they have changed 6 or 7 managers only in the last three years.

Lorik Cana left Sunderland for them and it was the wrong move in my opinion. His quality as a player has fallen during his spell there.

So, it is a risky bet
True that. And Bolton were getting better under Coyle. Things were going uphill for Bolton
Peteko 3 years ago
Goalkeeper: Edwin van der Sar

Defence: John Pantsil (Fulham), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham Hotspur), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Steven Caldwell (Wigan)

Midfield: Tamir Cohen (Bolton), Bolo Zenden (Sunderland) Sebastian Larsson (Birmingham), Nigel Reo-Coker (Aston Villa),

Forwards: John Carew (Aston Villa), Elmander (Bolton)

Kick4Life - changing lives through football