Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Yellow Card For Removing Your Shirt After Scoring - Why?
7blessings (AC Milan) 5 years ago
With the sort of passion that the beautiful game is played it is my entitled opinion that giving a player a yellow card for removing his shirt after scoring is a bit harsh in many cases.

This topic was sparked while watching a game during the week (cannot remember which one or if it was a replay) where a player scored a last minute winner in an intense, close game. Overwhelmed by elation, he ran to his erupting fans, shouting uncontrollably, and took off his shirt to an emotional celebration. This player then received the automatic yellow card for this type of celebration which meant that he will miss the all important return leg.

To me this was just a travesty and a nonsensical rule. We who play football are a passionate people. The footballer's passion is different from all others and maybe this passion should be given a different type of freedom of expression than other sports! I do not see anything warranting a yellow card for celebrating a goal in this way (unless it is completely overdone of course!)

Automatic yellow card? Should be left to the discretion of the officiating referee? Or no card at all for removing your shirt after scoring a goal? Let me know how who feel
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I believe it should be at the discretion of the referee but heard a while back that the reason that rule was instated was to prevent delays and such where the player takes a while to put the shirt back on or other such problems. I find it to be a ridiculous ruling but footballers should know better (especially that Sporting Lisbon bloke who took off his shirt after scoring while on a yellow and got sent off) since they know that it is an automatic caution
7blessings (AC Milan) 5 years ago
I agree with you.... It's a nonsensical rule but at the same time players should know that they will be carded for such things and try to avoid such dumb yellow cards.... While still I remember how it feels to score a goal (yes I have actually done that once or twice in my life!) and even though it was in a pretty unimportant competition; it was hard to control myself at the elation of netting one for the squad. Some of these celebration are not stupid, they are just emotional
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I think the rule is just ludicrous! Why is it not aloud? It's one of the best celebrations! Just because of that Forlan incident, doesn't mean all other players will do that.... Stupid rule...
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I'm in agreance Yamsy.... Who cares?
Riggs (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think there is a reason for it. Nobody wants to see the likes of Tevez and Ronaldinho without a shirt. Think of the children!
Eewe.... Thanks for the image....
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Yeah, the scene would make an trigger an old man's heart attack. Not recommended
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Haha funny
Dali (Manchester United) 5 years ago
LOL. True that
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Yeah, but ronaldinho weres a tank top along with many other players
Yic0ng (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Maybe come out with a rule that only certain player are allowed to take off their shirt when they score.

Example. The goalkeepers? Ronaldo? Beckham? Hahaha
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Lol, cause then we'd never see there chests
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
What about Giggs? That Curly chest hair.... Not a Pretty site
Lol, and he had to do it in the FA Cup against Arsenal....  With so many people in the stadium looking at it
Naifla (Arsenal) 5 years ago
This is the best answer . Lol
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Ha, good point. And Giggsy aswell, it wasn't the best sight. Still, I don't know why they're trying to ban it
Haules (Chelsea) 5 years ago
True
Xybati (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Still, lots of player doing that despite yellow-card rule.... Haha, however, I think it not should be a yellow-card.... The yellow card should be given to the one who remove trouses, LOL
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think its a stupid rule! A goal is a time to celebrate! Why can't players celebrate aswell.

A good celebration is always memorable aswell. It all seriousness who cares if someone romves their shirt what difference will it really make?
I totally agree, it's a great way to celebrate an important goal! Why not?
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I agreed with Adamus for a change. If I'm not the player and when I'm watching at home I go crazy I can't imagine how they feel
Match (San Jose Earthquakes) 5 years ago
It part of the laws of the game, but technically all the players are to have their shirts tucked in
RealMadrid1917 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
I think it is that knowbody wants to see man boobs  
They are all fit athletes that have large chest muscles...
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I have got many yellow cards for celebrating in this fashion. To me the airplane with the jersey over the head is the greatest way to celebrate a goal in the history of football, it's perfectly simple and passionate. But now you can not do it with out getting booked it is outrageous.

The referee should give a yellow if it is an excessive celebration, there are many celebrations that I feel warrant a yellow card more than pulling off a shirt. Certainly for it to be an automatic booking is ludicrous
Afrodinho13 (Sporting Kansas City) 5 years ago
Further examples of soulless refs, not under standing what it feels like to school a big goal. Those who can play those who could, coach and those that can't ref
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Haha agreed
VanPersie (Arsenal) 5 years ago
It's a silly rule really it just put's girls of football even more. I think you should be allowed to show your passion after scoring a goal
On3two (Manchester United) 5 years ago
To just give a straight yellow for taking off the shirt during a match where there has been intense drama and nail-biting moments is ridiculous. Its not like they're taking out page 3 of The Sun newspaper and flashing it around to every child in the stands! (to those of you who dont/didn't live in England, page 3 of The Sun is where naked models are displayed.... Pretty much)
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I think it is a stupid rule. If you score you are happy you want to express it. Taking of your shirt is the best way  
What's worse, taking your shirt off or tackling someone from behind?  Hmmm.... That's a toughie...
Gavrazor (Manchester City) 5 years ago
Itsnt this rule in place because removing your shirt is considered intimidating
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
No thts bull
Zach (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think you have to draw the line somewhere, and at one point, some governing body drew it at taking off your shirt. I don't mind the rule because it just makes it that much more epic when someone does take it off.

Also sometimes taking off the shirt can be disrespectful towards the club, I. E. Putting the player above the club. I'd rather see a player kiss the badge then throw his shirt on the ground. But that's just me

Kick4Life - changing lives through football