Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Women's Soccer...
Dali (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Your answer to the much needed estrogen on the threads.

What is your stance on women's professional soccer? Do you like it? Hate it? Never watch? Love it? Think its a joke?

Personally, I'm not the greatest supporter of women's professional soccer. Even though I played for a long time during highschool. I find the pacing of the game lacking and of course the fan base not nearly that of men's.

However, with the like of Marta, Bridgit Prinz, and Julie Foudy, I know the talent is there. The presentation of the game just needs to be developed. Especially on the club level. (most people have some idea about Women's World Cup.... But none about Women's Club Soccer)

What is your take?
Ltm017 5 years ago
Yeah I support women playing the game, and I do watch but its not the same as watching the men. You are right about everything you said though. The pace, presentation and fan base is lacking.

I think that men are just more physical. I have played with men and it is on completely different level. When I play with women I can make it through a whole game without feeling pain but not with men. They are carefree when it comes to playing so you will get a kick here a fall there and it hurts. I have to run faster and do everything quicker and that makes a whole lot of difference. Put a few men in a women match and you will see a world of a difference
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 5 years ago
This is my only input on the subject:    
Ltm017 5 years ago
I like that imput! Most men definitely don't see it like that.
Charlie (Barcelona) 5 years ago
I know a girl that plays like that. We call her ronaldinha
I would like Marta to play 1 on 1 against every single dude that doesn't have faith in women's football. Taking down one skeptical at the time, just destroying like she does. There is definitely a lot of talent there, but it is not as developed as men's football, like everything else in the world, and it is time for that to change and level things out. It's almost 2010, there shouldn't be any mind in the world that thinks about women in an inferior manner in any aspect of life, sports included. Of course there is a difference in the way to play, and I don't watch it regularly, but it is mainly the machismo mentality that psychologically affects our perspective over women's football. Same thing that happens with countries that are not traditional in the football history (USA for example), all the countries just look down on their progress and they have to struggle harder to be complimented for any achievement. Football is so successful because it is not an elitist game, it is the game of the masses, the game of the people. We need to focus on that aspect of football and leave aside prejudices and embrace diversity and differences, because that is what makes this game beautiful. But until then, we can enjoy this:

P.S.: I guess the previous statement was NOT my only input on the subject ahahaha and for that misstatement I apologize
So true on the fact that football isn't an elitist game. People from all creeds and economic statuses become famous through football. But look at something like golf. Who plays the majority golf? Rich white folks. Or Polo? Just stating the facts.

Yeah, and I mentioned Marta on the original post. She's amazing. Pure talent
JohnnyG (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Whoah. I liked that
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
After several viewings (and a beer), I spotted a couple of infringements in Raftke691s video. Two footed tackles, tugging at opponents clothes, dissent and abuse towards the ref, unsportsmanlike behaviour. I also think the game should have been postponed because frankly the pitch was in an unplayable and downright dangerous condition.

It is only if these things are addressed that womens football will get the recognition and respect it deserves
Bhawk11 (Bayern München) 5 years ago
If every womens football game was like that, no word would describe how happy I would be.  
Elucari (Liverpool) 5 years ago
That is a beautiful thing
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
It "is" the beautiful game...
I support it, it's good to see that women can also enjoy the beautiful game.... But I never have a chance of watching them.... They don't show the matches in Hong Kong...
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
This is a kind of weird subject for me. Our national team has been one of the top competitors for nearly over a decade now, and the average person probably couldn't name one person on the current roster. Most people think of Mia Hamm, whose retired from the national team lol. I guess that it's just not as commercialized yet as other sports are in America. Saying that though, there is still a very strong participation in women's football in America, mainly among the high school level. Especially where I live, here in St. Louis, we always produce top-ranked national teams every year, girls and boys both. Incarnate Word Academy and St. Joseph's Academy are always nationally ranked. As for the boys, SLUH (St. Louis University High) always has a batch of Division 1 athletes, respectively. On top of that, lol, we have a WPS team, St. Louis Athletica. So in conclusion, there's really nothing for me to complain about for real. I just hope that football will just become more popular overall here in America, and there have definitely been major strides in that over the last year
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I'd be happy to see womens football get the coverage and support it deserves. The FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup was held in New Zealand last year and that got some tv coverage, as well as having fairly decent crowds.

I hope this topic doesn't descend into blokes posting image after image of the thong wearing soccer playing supermodels. Keep your minds out of the gutters guys! Discuss!
Ahahaha I hope you understood the intent of being ironic when I posted the video following my comment, otherwise you'd think I was a baggadouche. Haha
Lfc4life (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Nice vid
Matt (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
I have only watched womans football, at international level, a few times and have to say I was generally impressed with the level of skill and technical ability on display.

If I was being super critical and well, I am. I would have to say the goalies were a bit lacking I know this is a massive sweeping generalisation but on the few matches I saw it was the one thing that I noticed. Other than that it was similar to watching a u18 game
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
I like women's pro football. I support ,it watch it ,the WPS league, Gooooooooo LA SOLS!
I think footytube should do something to support it how about making a page dedicated to the WPS with constant highlight vids from not only the WPS but other women's leagues as well. footytube come on do your part. Who here agrees? Unless you guys already have one? But yea the game needs time to improve. Its ironic that the US has one of the top 3 best national team in women's soccer. Great vid and I mean the one with Marta. Great skill.
If anyone is interested in reading in Women's football Fifa has a monthly round-up of the women's game Here is July's round-up
Link:Link: www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/developing/women/news/newsi...

P.S. I also liked the other vid
Andyefc09 (Everton) 5 years ago
I watched everton ladies and i've seen arsenal ladies play and the way some of them girls played was great, The skill was unreal no disrespect to all you ladie's out there but did'nt ever think ladies could play footy that well, I think it should be followed more by tv etc, but don't think ladies and mens teams should be in the same league's I agree footytube could have vids from womens footy
Here! Here! Atta boys! I like your spirit
Andy (Rangers) 5 years ago
I think it's alright to watch, but that's about it. I'd be far more likely to watch a Blue Square Premier match than a Women's Cup final.

I agree that Football transcends traditional social boundaries eg. Gender, class and I don't have an issue with the sport but I am so sick of broadcasters pushing the sport on regular fans. If anything, it puts me off women's football when the BBC dedicates so much webspace to it or fits it in a primetime slot
Gerrard4ever (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I usually watch Canada's national team when they are on tv. The last time I watched a women's team play was last month when I watched Canada play US, it was a good game I don't mind watching them but if I have a option to watch women or men I would prefer to watch men.
I do kind of feel sad for female football players though as they never get as much recognition as there male counterparts. Like how many people know that arsenal have the women's EPL 10 times
Elucari (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Of all women's sports I'd say this is the best one that they play and I don't watch it but I have nothing against it.... On the other hand.... The WNBA.... What a joke
I think Women's Volleyball is better to watch though...
Aww man, I like the WNBA.    Yamsy, I think Women's Tennis is the best women's sport to watch. Good stuff.
Right.... How could I forget the likes of Sharapova and Williams...
Lfc4life (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Its where roo and ron belong!
What does that mean eh? Lol.
We were just talking about the level of talent those ladies have.... Roo and Ron may find it kind of difficult
Ronnie would definitely find it hard to concentrate.... He'd be focusing on something else...
Matt (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
Surely he would be focusing on a couple of other things? *      * I apologies for this obvious and 'carry on' style double entendre

Kick4Life - changing lives through football