Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Why Do You Support The Club You Support?
Moussinho (Valencia) 4 years ago
For people who live in a certain country but support a club outside of that country, please give the reason. Is there a story behind it? Or did you just support them because they won every single game at the time?

I'll start:

The team I support in Egypt is the team that over the course of history has been dubbed "third". Even though that's not the case at the moment I asked my older cousin to tell me about teams in Europe that are also the "third'. He then told me about three teams from each of the top leagues: Liverpool, Valencia and AC Milan. I am now an admirer of Valencia and can't stop loving them. I love every aspect of the club from the players to the stadium. Liverpool I also support and watch all of their games(except for this season because my subscription was expired and I didn't really want to see my team get humiliated). But I'm still known in school as more of a Liverpool supporter. However in the Italian league I have never been able to support a certain team. I supported AC Milan for a while, then Fiorentina and finally Juventus. But I don't really like Juventus anymore.

So why do you support your club?
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Family stuff, and location
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
They put a gun to my head and said they would kill me and my family if I didn't. Lol
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Because they play attractive football, are considered underdogs and I like the manager. Also it was a good way to repair my relationship with my father who is a diehard Arsenal fan
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
That's some cool stuff bro. It doesn't get any realer than that
Thanks man
Moocow111 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Because, my family would disown me
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Hahahahahaha
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
You would be better off homeless.... Lmao
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
The one and only reason I support man utd is, as an 8 year old boy I seen this guy playing football on the tv, which was a rarity in itself, as there wasnt a lot of footy on tv back then, but this guy looked different to any player I had ever seen, and boy could he play football, he was outstanding, even from a very early age, he looked like a rock star and played football in a fashion never really seen before, and played for man utd, I'm sure you have guessed it was george best by now.
But since then I have been man utd daft, and always will be, and thank george rest his soul for putting me onto the right team
A friend of mine actually met George Best and his story was almost exactly like this! He and his Dad were walking in a park somewhere and he say him kicking a tennis ball against a wall and they were so surprised that they just stared at him. Then he came over and said hi and walked off into the mist. Of course that guy is also a die hard Man UTD fan ever since meeting GB as a kid...
I did meet george myself, many moons ago, being from the same city belfast, theres always a chance of meeting northern irish footballers, as its not a massive city like manchester, where you can just lose yourself.... Lol.
I just wish there had been a lot more footy on tv back then, maybe kids today wouldnt be drooling over messi and ronaldo when they seen what george best was capable of doing, he's still the best in my book, by a long way, and I have seen them all, but due to lack of tv footage etc;, we never got to see all georges tricks and skills.
I have never seen a crowd get so excited when a player got the ball at his feet, he was brilliant
And as regards legendary status, georges funeral was on a par with princess diana's, totally mindblowing to think a footballer would ever get a send off like that, I couldn't believe it, I thought royalty was being laid to rest, and in a way, it was.

Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I had a teacher that played a few games with George Best back in school. He said even though he was a few year older george would still dominate during a match and everyone would at times watch in amazement. Don't know wether he is telling the truth or not but we interrogated him a little and seemed to be
He's probably telling the truth mate, lots of people here met or played with or against george in his younger years, so he's probably on the level, has he a northern irish accent.... Lol
What gets me with george is.... He even looks like the greatest player of all time, look at any pic of him, he's the original football rockstar, no ones ever deposed him, even beckham
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yea he went to the same school so his story checks out . What an honour to say you have played with george best
In would have loved to play with or against george best, just to be able to say, yep, I was there.... Lol.
I have played with and against many irish league players in the past, but no one the calibre of bestie.... Pity
RRajeev (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I really love Man UTD.... Everyone in my family is a MAN UTD fan....  Now I am starting to become a really big big fan....
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
To be honnest my father has always been a fan so it only natural I had to watch with him, from there I grew to love united. One of my favorite united players is yorke. I hated him when he played for his country (rivalry) but loved to see him playing for united.
Just like my father I hate chelsea, liverpool, leeds, madrid, arsenal, and all the other shitty teams that think they can compete with us
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
My Dad is a londoner and supports Arsenal, but he moved up up to Manchester for work. So I was born on the red side of Manchester and all my mates support United so it's only normal that I support United. If I was from mosside or something I probably support City. I'm glad I come from salford, I get to support and go to the best team in the world each week
Haha, my own dad was a londoner, but he came to belfast during the war years, met and married my mum, and he ended up as northern irish as the next man, god rest his soul
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Well, it's always interesting for foreigners that support clubs from over-seas, because you aren't tied down to one because of your family or your friends. So you just kind of have to pick.... Sad to say....

If you think about it, though, any American that genuinely likes football overseas is no different than somebody from England that supports Barcelona or Real Madrid; it's all the attraction of the style of play and the style. I can appreciate a lot of teams for how they play and what they've achieved, but I have keyed in on Chelsea most for a lot of reasons. They aren't truly considered the royalty of English soccer based on titles; they have a very short history of great success as opposed to decades of spread-out success like you will see over the years with Man United and Liverpool....

But Chelsea always have something to overcome, or prove, to the footballing world in my mind; why do you belong in the big 4, other teams ask, and every year they try to remain in the top 4, or even 3 or 2. They have one of the most attractive rosters in international football, yet they aren't as cliched as a Man United or a Barcelona to fans in the US....

.... And if you see somebody with a Chelsea jersey here, you have to talk to them. Because it's normally a sign of a true footy fan (unless they've been on a trip to London and just picked up a souvenir). So then, fans of Chelsea here in the wider sense are also greater fans of football in general, and that makes it a little more special for me than a 12 year old that received a Man UTD kit for his birthday from some nondescript soccer store that was having a sale.

.... I guess I'm just a football hipster.
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I might have misead this but it seems like you're saying your better fans than other people?

Also it's not just Manchester United who are glory supporters, Chelsea took on a massive amount of Americans etc as fans when Roman became Chairman
Nah, not better. I think he means overseas fans have some leeway in choosing their teams as opposed to being born into a club and having to support it regardless of whether you want to or not.... And chances are in countries around the world the most spotted jerseys will tend to be from the top clubs around the world, like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man you, Ac Milan and Inter...
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Haha nooo; it would take a lot for any American to be a better supporter than an average footy supporter in Europe.

But we do have a lot of leeway in choosing clubs for any sport, at least, in this part of the country. In American football, where I was.... You really only had 2 choices, and you would always see those 2 teams supporters obnoxiously flooding the public places. It's the same in baseball, basketball.... Blah. Can't stand it.

It was refreshing to just choose a team for the style I liked. Then I could build some respect on that. And I wouldn't say I was a glory supporter; I barely had begun following the game as Roman took over. It was just a casual interest in a club that really never had much more to worry about than who they would transfer in or out; they just got it done, and that was enough for me.

Happily, I wasn't born in North London to Spud and Gooner parents; amidst the conflict I would have probably cheered for West Ham or some other conflicted, failing misery of a club....
BNetworks (Chelsea) 3 years ago
With soccer getting more and more popular in the States, more clubs being recruited to play the MLS and the national team getting so much involved in international matches, what are the chances that you may change your current club to an american club, scoot?
Low? Haha, at least for right now.... I already support some clubs state-side, but I would not say I am too committed to anything but their regional causes. Their die-hard fans are as legit as any fan movement anywhere right now (albeit a lot smaller), but I'm not too big a fan yet.

American soccer is still about a decade or two behind the rest of the world (on average). Infrastructure is the only thing making it better. And partnerships with bigger clubs. I'd say in the next 10 years we will see teams that are actually able to compete with some legit European clubs. But it will take a lot longer for the level to come up to consistently being good. And until that happens it's going to be a lot more casual for fans, me included.

I will say that the strongest MLS teams can already compete with the weakest Spanish, Italian, and English sides; but there are no discernible powers to speak of
To be honest scooter you don't have to support a BIG club to be a good fan, fans of smaller clubs are as knowledgeable as anyone about the game, and in some cases more in touch with the game as anyone.
Without the smaller clubs and their fans, there would be no big teams like barca, real, utd, liverpool or whoever, and a lot of fans would do well to remember that.
Football doesent stop at the top, but it does begin at the bottom, so a big up to anyone who supports their local team however how small or insignificant they may be, or we think they are, they are the lifeblood of the game, and every player has to start somewhere.
Football FOR ALL.... !
I know. I support the club I support because I choose to support it haha. I didn't just because I felt obligated. And I don't support the clubs in the US as much because they're.... Well, eh.... Boring? Haha. Sometimes it's great, sometimes the banality is enough to kill you...
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I think it's safe to say that if there was a football club in Flagstaff, Arizona a team with a philosophy and spirit that I agree with I would support that team. It is very likely that I may or will have to found that team if I want it to exist, of course Liverpool would still have a very special place in my heart, and would be a large inspiration for the club here. Flagstaff's Old Boys was the idea I have been turning over in my head for quite a while. Whether I can make that idea materialize is another story all together. Because I agree with Tony, it is important for small clubs to have supporters(if I wasn't playing for the FOBs that is) I would be a fan of the Flagstaff's Old Boys before Liverpool. I would still have the passion and belief I have for Liverpool, but to me it would be ludicrous to support a team a couple of thousand miles a way, when there is a team I could support down the street, that has my home blood running through it
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I love manchester united because of ryan giggs and paul scholes, two very classy guys
MariusV (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yeah, great guys joe.

I don't know how I became a fan of my team, i've been supporting my team for 5 years now, they're the only team I support/follow, when I was round 6, I never supported any team, but I played and enjoyed playing football, I played for my school and everything, I could of been supporting any team now if my friends didn't support man utd, I think I started liking united cos of my friends, and from 2005 I became a die hart fan of united, I'm only in northern ireland, and an hour away from england/old trafford, I'm a bigger fan than all of my friends, I'm always sitting in the house watching all their games, sitting on this site discussing all the news with all the united fans, and I would never change the team, even if they got relegated, I'm not that kind of fan. Glory glory MAN united
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Because the Prem was the underdog league and Chelsea were a mediocre team at the time in 98. But see how loyalty works out
Nautilus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I can't remember if it was 95 or 96, but I saw my first united game during that time. And I saw eric cantona play and especially act. That was enough for me to fell in love with manchester united
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I support chelsea FC because of FIFA 07!

There were 2 driving forces in me supporting chelsea

1. My cousin was an arsenal fan so I wanted to start some rivalry crap.

2. I was bored and decided to play manager mode in FIFA 07, and chelsea was the first 4 and a 1/2 star team after arsenal in alphabetical order.

So I think I speak for a lot of people (outside of europe and no european heritage) saying football videogames bring alot of people into this game
Vat69 (Chelsea) 3 years ago
HAHA I had a similar start to yours Started playing Fifa 08, and at the time was a big fan of the Hasselbaink, Zola & Eidur partnerships along with Petit & Lamps in midfield. Got more and more familiar with the squad thanks to FIFA 08. No matter how the squads changed over the years, I think Jimmy & Zola (along with Didier) have been my favourite strikers of all time! I miss seeing those two
Elbert (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I support man united because wayne rooney is my favorite player lmao

Kick4Life - changing lives through football