Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who's Your Captain?
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
If you could have one player in world football to captain your club who would it be? I wouldn't change a thing, Steven Gerrard is the best captain I could wish for. He is just undeniable in his play and leadership, that assist to Kuyt the other day was splendid. That first touch he took is what I dream about. I think we have him for life too, he's loyal to his club. He's the local hero and I am proud to have him captaining our team, I couldn't ask for anything better .

Anyways who would you choose?
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I agree I will also choose Stevie G. He is an amazing player. Good leader. But apart from him then I will choose John Terry
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Well we have best captain....

But apart from gerrard if I have choice to choose somebody, definately it would be zidane or maldini
Kafka (Bayern Munchen-A) 5 years ago
All time or just now? Right now would be Puyol and all time would be Beckenbauer
Um I was thinking current but it wouldn't hurt to put all time as well both very good choices by the way, Puyol is class and grit, actually mainly just grit haha
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Pele all time but right now I would choose Kaka
You like your captain to score your goals then? Pele would be a great captain of course, do you think Kaka could handle that sort of pressure? He is a great player with tremendous skill but I don't know about him being a captain. Why do you think he would be a good captain? I mean obviously he has a great football mind and what could be bad about having a captain that belongs to jesus that wouldn't get into bar fights *cough* stevie g *cough*. But I just don't see him as a captain, why would you choose him?
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
I would pick pele because you can tell he was upbeat and inspirational. Yea scoring goals helps too. He is also very intelligent. I would pick Kaka because he has a good personality and basically is crazy glue for teams. He is also getting old which helps
Nice he probably would be a great captain, certainly he did some amazing things with Milan throughout his career, especially in 07
Alen (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I agree with Gerrard for a club and all best captain ever, but when you get into National Levels and politics I wouldn't go anywhere but Sergej Barbarez (Bosnia, Bayer Leverkusen, Hamburg)
Hum never heard of him, I'll have to do some research, this is why footytube is awesome.... Among many other reasons haha
Alen (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergej_Barbarez

His wiki page

Video of his skills, he always supported the fans, and always fought for the team and the nation and the fans always loved him

Nkrumah (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Good player
Veritas (Chelsea) 5 years ago
No doubt, Zinedine Zidane had been the best captain of all football times with his incredible
Team leadership. Without him, France national team was not able to go to even semi-finals in championships like FIFA World Cup and European Football Championship. He is just the big difference. However, I think Steven Gerard is the best and the most effective captain nowadays. Some people may disagree with this, but at least, he is the most exciting one surely, who takes the control of the games and runs the show at the most critical times. Doesn't he?
I agree with that one Zidane is pure class, and yes Stevie G is always scoring late goals to help his team win
PepeLePew (Bordeaux) 5 years ago
Zizou! Wonderful choice
Dayve (Arsenal) 5 years ago
You took the words right out of my mouth
VanPersie (Arsenal) 5 years ago
John terry would be a good captain commanding things from the backa and suprisingly he gets a fair few goals as well
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I'd go with Pirlo.
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
There are many great captains in history, ones that mesh the players together, ones that creates chances when all hope seems lost, ones that influence player to do better.... I believe steven Gerrard can do all those 3 things and more
UgoDroPiero (Juventus) 5 years ago
Giggs    Del Piero    Zidane
Right, how could I forget Del Piero, here's another then, Totti!
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Gerrard, Giggs, Del Piero, Totti, Terry are some of the best but out of these who do you think is the best?
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
I think totti. He managed many of the times with not so good players around him...
[account-removed] 5 years ago
Roy Keane was a great captain, had all the qualties it needs to be a captain. An abundance of passion, someone who everyone at the club looks up to and respects, experience, motormouth.... But currently I can't give anything original.... Its Stevie G all the way, he has all those qualities and more
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
People on footytube are so funny. Being skillful or Scoring goals don't make you worthy of being a captain. Leading the team being critical about every possession, setting up plays, having passion, giving your all in the 90 minutes on the pitch, that's what makes you a good captain! Gerrard Terry Puyol these are all good captain
Ninsane (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Team of great captains

------------------------Schmeichel------------------------
----------JZanetti---Terry---Puyol---Maldini-----------
----------Gerrard---RoyKeane---Matthaeus----------
---------------Totti---DelPiero(see)---Raul---------------

The one that I would see best as the captain of captains is Alessandro Del Piero. Not being a Juve fan could not make me ignore the fact that he actually stayed with Juve when they were relegated and bring them back to top flight the next year.

If that's not loyalty I don't know what is. And I believe a great captain should have that quality. That's why I excluded the great Zidane, Henry, Vieira (him and Henry were 2 great captains for arsenal until they moved out).
Good job making the XI of Captains and good choice of the Captain of Captains...
Good point about Del Piero
Ninsane (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I made it because it's so hard to pick just one captain out of all the greats.  I guess I made the right choice to pick Del Piero
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
Did you mean zidane don't have quality?
Xybati (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Rio Ferdinand!
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I would have to pick between Zidane or Terry. Both are very vocal and can hold the pressure of the team on their shoulders
I would probably go with Zidane
I agree, Zidane can make things happen for the team more than Terry can...
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Disagree, Zidane was chosen captain just because he was Zidane "one of the most great player the world even known".... In fact Zidane was very shy and didn't talk at all.... Just clapping in his hand !
Plus Zidane was really nervous he proves it many times, with violented act.... Remember 2006 final !

Zidane is one of my favorite but not as a captain !
A captain as to be calm first....
Zidane got charisma but only in football not in talking. He didn't need the captain on is arm to rise the team.... See he won more title without it....
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Plus he was only captain of France.... Never In Cannes, Bordeaux, Turin, Madrid.... In the contrary of Terry England and Chelsea !
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I agree with Amayel. I love zidane (there's a look at my profile) is one of the best players in the world. But not a team leader, zidane is confined, he is very nervous times. Zidane leads the team with his game but orally it does not talk much

Kick4Life - changing lives through football