Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who's Gonna Win The Copa America?
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
The competition is taking place in Argentina.

Group [A. ]
Argentina
Bolivia
Colombia
Costa Rica

Group [B. ]
Brazil
Venezuela
Paraguay
Ecuador

Group [C. ]
Uruguay
Peru
Chile
Mexico
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Brazil
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Argentina now Maradonas gone!
Bjarni10 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Argentina and Brazil will most definitely win. But Mexico and Uruguay could also be strong contenders for the third spot
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Group see looks like the toughest group. The others aren't easy, but Argentina and Brasil should win their groups without too many questions. Argentina's attack is ridiculous, but their defence is probably the weakest of the world powers. Where as Brasil is very strong in the back, and have a great depth in midfield. I would like Argentina or Uruguay to win, and I think the hosts have a good chance but they will have to play well
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I think Uruguay will win it. I think they will pick up where they left off in 2010. And with Cavani better than he was in 2010 I think their attack with be a force to be reckon with. They have a very good keeper and their back 4 is not bad. Argentina have great attacking players but I see their defence being their downfall. And Brazil squad for me is a bit to young
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Argentina's performance was shocking and imo Brazil's squad is too young. I think Uruguay has actually got a good shot Lugano is a good defender and their attack is amazing!
Peteko 3 years ago
Wouldn't that be something if Uruguay won it. I'll root for one of the underdogs that's for sure.

(By the way, Argentina started it with the wrong step.)
Thank you Ayyam. I 100% agree with you
I like Columbia's squad as well. I know, I love Argentina they're defence need to get their act together IMO. They're attack needs some reshaping Tevez looked really uncomfortable
Lets just have a few predictions for fun.

Outright Rankings:

1st:Uruguay
2nd:Argentina
3rd:Brazil
4th:Columbia (shock)

Top Scorer: Radamel Falcao
Top Assist:Messi

I don't know why but I have a huge feeling Urguay is going to win it
For me it will be  1. Uruguay  2. Colombia  3. Brazil  4. Argentina    Top Scorer:Falcao
Peteko 3 years ago
I am a complete ignorant on Argentina's development and geography, but I noticed that all the cities where the games are played are situated in the north. I wonder why.

Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Because they wanna spread the development and football to the regional areas. Traditionally, the local football trophies has never left Buenos Aires except maybe a couple of times. They are using the copa as a chance to spread the football around
Peteko 3 years ago
Interesting.    Compared to 1978, it seems that they have added San Juan, Salta and Jujuy. (Still nothing towards the South.)
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
It's simply because the majority of the population live in the northern part. You won't find a stadium with the capacity of 20 000 or more south of Buenos Aires / La Plata
Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
And because is coldddd asss fuuuckk in the southern part hahhahaa
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Brasil. Too powerful
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I think it's safe to say that Brazil and Argentina are the favorites. They're most likely to win by far, but I won't count out Uruguay either in making a surprise run to the finals.

I think Argentina can do it if they can sort out their defensive problems, because as mentioned before. Their attack is scary for any defence
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
Brazil or Uruguay will win. After last nights game between Argentina & Bolivia, I now think that Argentina will lose if they go up against Those 2 or even Chile & Colombia
It was just one game, its not like they lack the ability dude. Remember those fellas that won the world cup last year? I remember they lost to the swiss. Overconfidence maybe. Bolivia will probably be the wake-up call
You can say it was just one game. But Argentina for me will not win it. Their defence will just let them down. And their midfield is to defensive. They only have 3 attacking players on the pitch
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
I think uruguay have a good chance if they perform well as they did in the world cup.... And I am expecting a great show by forlan!
I just lol'ed at the south american giants. Imo, both teams are lacking the finished Midfield Maestro. Ganso is good but far from ready, and Argentina have pastore but he wasnt played, so meh
Pato touches were very very poor. They slipped him in on goal quite a few times but his touches were very poor. And Brazil should have had a penalty. And Neymar should have scored in the first half. Argentina are playing way to defensive. And should drop either Banega or Cambiasso and bring in Pastore
Argentina need to step up their game if they don`t want to disappoint their own supporters. I hope Pastore will start against Colombia, because the strikers need more support from a good playmaker. Batista`s choices are questionable, he should definitely put Kun Aguero ahead of Lavezzi who was terrible.
Argentina ain`t Barcelona, so this is going to be interesting to see how Messi will adapt, even though his skills and talent remain intact
They should play 4-2-3-1. With Tevez as the main striker and Messi Pastore and Aguero behind him. Or he can use Di Maria instead of Tevez and put Aguero as the main striker
I agree with both of you on pastore and playing 4-2-3-1. I like he latter, their are often misconceptions that it is a defensive formation but it can be appliead attacking-wise. I think maybe Di Maria and Messi on the wings and Pastore/Aguero in the CAM role, and Tevez/Higuain up front, the last two should not be played as wings, they're finshers
I agree with that. I would put Pastore in the CAM position and Higuain up front
Peteko 3 years ago
I bet that the 0-0 draw of Brazil has calmed down the Argentinians. Now their start does not look that bad anymore and they will focus in making good use of their second match of the group
After having seen the game against Colombia, I'm wondering if Argentina can make it to the final. They have quality in their team, but the Coach does not seem to be able to take full advantage of that potential.

The game was entertaining, Colombia showed some good stuff in the build-up of their offensives with quick-passing. Yet, Argentina can thank Ramos and Moreno for having missed 2 sitters in the 1st half.

Seriously Lavezzi doesn't deserve his spot as a 1st choice striker, when Aguero and Higuain are available. Kun Aguero would have done much better, on the right flank. He`s a player who does not loose many balls and has a pretty good goal-scoring ratio for Argentina. So why not starting him?

Once again Argentina never really managed to produce some football in order to create chances. Cambiasso, Marsherano and Banega were busy having to deal with the battle in midfield, where Freddy Guarin was outstanding, the young boy is a beast.
So, Messi had to drop back and try to find Tevez or Lavezzi, and despite a very tight marking from Sanchez who had a very good game, he managed to deliver a nice through ball to Lavezzi who couldn't capitalize.

Credits to Colombia`s back four, they defended well as a unit, closing down the spaces, dropping back quickly enough to keep their shape. Right Back Zuniga did great, preventing Tevez from getting past him and smartly winning challenges using his very good technique and speed.
Defensively Argentina`s defence was average, they struggled to keep up with the pace of the Colombian attackers. But, apart from Milito`s mistake, they kinda managed to keep a clean sheet, they`ve done their job.

Batista should bring in some attacking midfielders like Di Maria or Pastore, I'd like to see this 4-2-1-3 formation with the same back four:

---------------Higuain-------------
Messi----------------------Aguero

---------------Pastore--------------
-----Mascherano---Cambiasso----

Zanetti---Burdisso--Milito--Zabaleta

-----------------Romero----------------
About you change that to 4-2-3-1 and push Pastore into the Trequitista role

Kick4Life - changing lives through football