Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Would You Rather Have On Your Team Messi Or Ronaldo?
Nitro (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Not suprisingly I would choose Messi even though I still think Ronaldo is a great player. But the reason I choose Messi over Ronaldo is because no matter what team Ronaldo is on, Ronaldo always plays for Ronaldo whereas I feel Messi is much more of a team player.

An example of this is on the champs final where Ronaldo wouldn't even pass the ball to his team mates.... I know just one match can't sum him up but I'm just giving it as an example.

Its a debate i've been having with my freinds for a long time, so who would you rather have?

Gavrazor (Manchester City) 5 years ago
But that's why messi could never do this,

As much as I hate that greasy slimy shemale dago, I have to say If I came to a decision I'd have to pick ronaldo, I think messi has better close ball skill but he dosent have that extra dimension of scoring long range goals that ronaldo has, or even the dominance in the air
TheRonaldo7 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
First time I ever saw you speaking s**t which is good s**t to listen too.    So on that basis well done good post!
JosiahsOnFire (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Um.... Messi....

He plays for his team....

This season every 3 shots he took, ONE went in....

He scored more goals than Ronaldo this season in the league and in champions league....

Also got more assists....

Can also dribble at players with better ability....

What he does lack is long-range and FK's

Instruemntal in helping Barca grab the treble this year.... (if you remember his wonderful late goal that got them into the Copa Del Rey final)

There's a reason why he has a 200m buyout clause (and didn't Ronaldo just sell for 93m? Hmmmm)

Anyways that's my case....

Thought if it were my choice, I'd just take both

Shaylin9718 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
LOL I would choose both too but if it came down to one player it would have to be Ronaldo
1. I'm a ronaldo freak
2. He is just plain great
3. He has better skills than messi (well too me others may disagree)
Srry messi fans!
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
As what Gavrazor said Messi doesn't have those extra little abilities that ronaldo has, like freekicks, long shots, good on corners bcus of his height and jumping ability etc....

Of corse I'm going to pick Ronaldo bcus I think he is the best player in the world.
Dali (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Here Here! I'm getting sick of Ronnie's personality, but I still believe the beats Messi in overall skill and technical ability.

To be honest, no matter what he does, I'll like Ronaldo
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Neither! I would rather have Gerrard!
But if I had to choose, erm.... Lets look at the stats....
Ronaldo:
Heading - 8
Dribbling - 9
Speed - 9
Finishing - 8
FK - 9
Work rate - 7
Team work - 6
Cross - 7
Passing - 7
Penalty - 7
Messi:
Heading - 5
Dribbling - 10
Speed - 9
Finishing - 7
FK - 3
Work Rate - 9
Team Work - 9
Cross - 7
Passing - 7
Penalty - 7
This is all in "MY Opinion"
Seems, Ronaldo is better at attcking, but Messi is a better team player....
I pick Messi because their is no "I" in "team work".... Hopefully, Messi can improve even more infront of goal....
You can't directly compare Gerrard to Messi or Ronaldo, you could compare him with Lampard and Kaka, but that's a different matter
Erm.... I think you misunderstood....  I didn't compare Gerrard to anyone, I only compared Messi and Ronaldo....
'Neither! I would rather have Gerrard!' So you would rather have gerrard playing on the wings? Don't think so mate, this implys direct comparison

And I think you will find ronaldos a lot faster then messi, and also ronaldo has had experiance of playing in a tougher league, against bigger and more resilient defenders
Okay.... Okay.... No need to get pissed off.... I meant no offense.... Jeez.... Chill dude....
The Gerrard part, was a joke.... Since he was irrelevant to the thread question....
And I said these were "My Opinion", k?
I respect your opinion and I agree that Ronaldo is as fast, if not faster, than Messi, and Ronaldo does play in a more physical league....
Once again, no offense
I wasnt taking offence, I hate him as much as anyone . I'm just quoting what you sid =P
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
There's no I in team but there is a you in suck. JK
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Why did you bother to do all that Yams?
Blaak (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I'd choose Ronaldo. I actually think Ronaldo passes quite often
Neonseong (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Are you serious? Come on the guy's winger and he averages more shots than a striker
SoundersFC23 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
Haha sorry ronaldo94 but that was a stupid comment
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Wow do ether of you watch soccer? He passes all the time!
Really though? You guys must have been asleep 2007-2008 season! HE passed ALL THE TIME! Go and see some stats on his assists.... Please!
Neonseong (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Really hmmmm I went and looked and saw in 2007-2008 season he had only 8 assists even Rooney had more with 14. I found another fact Ronaldo had 131 shots on target and Ronney being a striker you'd expect more.... He had 86 shots on target. Looks like Ronaldo sure was looking out and passed a lot
And how many assists did Messi have? Despite the fact that he's a striker.... Don't be so quick to disregard Ronaldo's ability of being a "team" player
Giorgakis (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
Yes I agree with all of you ronaldo does pass, quite frequently actually
VanPersie (Arsenal) 5 years ago
What does passing often have to do with it? If your the best player in the world and your a winger you should be aiming to not do the simple passes you should be aiming to beat a player then cross, or drive into the box and shoot. Would messi be the sublime player he is if he passed every time he got it? No. He takes risks like this video below, he could have just done a simple pass but he believed in him self and went for the risky option and he got the result.
FoolMuffin (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Lol, depends who else is on my team? But TBH; messi.

But it is hard to tell as they both come from 2 different good teams. Ronaldo would do pretty good with barcelona team mates that messi has

.... But individually messi. Work rate proves stronger than some free kicks
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Yeah I agree. Messi is more consistent as well
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Well given that Ronnie is the older of the pair, I'd rather have a 5-yr contract with Messi. This guy has nowhere to go but up.... He's only just turned 22 and is the favorite to win player of the year.compare Messi of last year to Messi of this year and you've got a player who has improved in every area of his game (even headers, a la Champions League final). Imagine Messi, assuming he stays fit and healthy, in a few years.... There's simply no way his peak form is at 22 and he's already the best player in the world! There's no question here. Plus he's more humble and much more of a team player than Ronnie will ever be
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Well written I agree 100% with you
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
It depends. If Ronaldo played like he did in 07/08 then I will choose Ronnie. But if Messi played like he did last season I will choose him. But it is a hard thing to choose. They are both amazing when they are on top form. But I will choose Ronnie. Be gives the team more. With his free kicks long shots finishing and more.
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Messi
SoundersFC23 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
Even though this seems like a hard choice its not to me. To me its easily ronaldo. Messi may be more of a "team player" but ronaldo is such a threat from everywere on the field. He can head very well, he is great at shooting from distance, he is great at free kicks, and you know he can deliver in big game situations which is still questionable for messi (even though he did have a great game in the champions league final)
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Ronaldo even thought messi is a better team player put him as a striker
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
I'd definitly pick ronaldo! Ronaldo is better in all messi may be good at team play and passing but ronaldo is all around better player! He is good at dribbling, he's very fast, he can header the ball with alot of accuracy, his free kicks are amazing, and he has a very powerful foot! How can you not pick him over messi
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
If ronaldo was as kindly hearted as messi. I would say ronaldo. But becouse of the massive idioticy that comes out of him I'm gonna' pick messi.

I do believe ronaldo is twice the player messi is. But picking ronaldo comes with a price. He can either br astonishing.... Or increadibly annoying.

Yes. His Childish Acts Has Ruined him
Your absolutely correct sergio well said but I rewatched barca agaisnt madrid and thiery henry killed sergio OMG ! Turned him into a absolute clown!
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
He did I know. But yeah. Serg has good days.... And bad days. I like to watch him in CB postition more
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Twice the player of Messi? Really?
Yea that's wyh they were trying to get maicon he would be great? I think brazil have the 2 best rbs in the world
Essien1 (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Messi since Messi is a team player and not as much as a diver as Ronaldo (and I hate Ronaldo)
Ronaldo. (all the way) Yeah, we all don't like his attitude, but don't hate on his crazy skill

Kick4Life - changing lives through football