Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Who Should Captain Arsenal After Cesc?
Peteko 3 years ago
I understand that this may be a touchy subject as many Arsenal fans still hope for Fabregas to stay, but I think this is a done deal now and they are just discussing the details.

In my mind, this could even work better for Arsenal. There is nothing worse than a non-committal captain.

The most immediate task for Wenger would be to appoint a new leader. It could be a long-term decision or a transitory one.

I wonder who do you guys see as the most qualified to be captain in the Arsenal team.

To me the only answer would be Clichy, if he is not planning to leave as well. He is talented player and enjoys respect. He comes across as a serious person to me and has been in Arsenal for many years now. I think he has been there from the time of the "Invincibles". Probably the only one left.

If he leaves or shows no interest in becoming captain. I don't have an answer. Maybe you guys have
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
As much as it probably will happen, it is anything BUT a done deal right now. What with Barca asking Cesc to go on strike to force Arsenal to lower the price, it is quite apparent that the deal is far from done.

And to answer your question; Vermaelen
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
One of the Dutch guys, Van Persie or Vermaelen, the latter may make more sense because he is younger and plays in the back. But the first person that comes to my mind is Robin, if he can stay injury free he would be a great captain. Aaron Ramsey will probably be captain in the future, but not ready yet
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Vermaelen is from Belgium
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Good to know thanks for the clarification
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Shouldnt this be a discussion for the arsenal forum? Because most of us don't really care who captains arsenal. And arsenal has no one with a high enough levels of emotional maturity to be a captian anyway.

And vermalean in not dutch
Peteko 3 years ago
Yes, it could be a great topic for the Arsenal forum as well. However, just because you don't care it does not necessarily mean that most of the people here don't care. I'd speak only for myself.

Arsenal are a top club. What happens with their captaincy will affect their performance in the league and therefore it will affect the level of competition that you club and others will face, Dismiss it at your own risk
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I would say Arshavin, but I believe his consistancy is quistanable. On some occasiaons he is world class, but on the bad day he is un noticiable. I believe van persie is the most fit person to be called captain.

He shows desire when he plays, and if he avoids injure can be a great leader in the squad
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I thought arshavin was a great player. Then he disappeared for half a season, which doesn't really make for good captain material.

Arsenal really doesn't have a strong enough leader in their squad to make a good captain, but if I had to choose one player it would definitely be Van Persie
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
For me there is only one answer. It's Thomas Vermaelen. He should even be the first choice captain. Well he is the only natural leader in Arsenal. And they have been missing him for the past year. So I think Vermaelen should be Arsenal's captain
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Yeah, Vermaelen should be the captain next season, not only because of his fighting spirit and winning mentality, but also because he's a decent CB (who can score when he goes up) and Gunners truely need a Boss whose influence in the defence is felt. What he's gone through last season can only make him stronger and hungrier.

The second-choice captains should be Van Persie or Song
It would be Song for me. Because RVP gets injured way to often
Peteko 3 years ago
I am with you Kimaway, Song would be a great choice
But I still think Arsenal should buy a natural leader this summer
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Well I would say there are not so many good contenders cos after gallas and henry, they have clearly struggled to have some good captian....

Fabregas would have been worth but when he was given that skippers role he was extremly young especially when rivals do have fairly better skppers....

Gerrard, vidic, terry I mean look at the personalty, they do look like mafias of their team, they are the players to which their team mate looks forward to, their respect in their team makes them the real skipper.... On the other hand arsenal lacks those kinda personality.

Considering current team I would take van persie cos he is the senior most but if possible I would want arsenal to sign some senior player.... Young talent in their team is incredible and if they succeed to sign some senior player, without a doubt they would be amongst the top contenders....
Sam what you said was spot on. But don't you think Van Persie gets injured to much. Its like with Reo. He was captain for both club and country but got stripped of it because he got injured to frequently

Kick4Life - changing lives through football