Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Which Set Of Fans Create The Most Daunting Atmosphere?
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 4 years ago
In my opinion there aren't many tougher places to go than Anfield on a European night! Then I'd rank Galatasary, Rome, and Milan as other tough places to travel, the Italians are a commited set of fans definately.... Anyone got any others to throw in the mix?
Checked the forums and I couldn't find anything on this topic but theres a good chance its already been covered.... So sorry for the repeat if that's the case
Kristof (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Ibrox is a good atmosphere especially the old firm derbys, portsmouth have a set of loud fans I remember when I went 2 stamford bridge they were losing but never stopped singing they always enjoy the day out and that's what its all about
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Hey kristof why make a thread just like this a few hours after this post.... Atmosphere and fans are nearly the same thing.... But good shout there.... And good thread the torresbounce
Lee (Kidderminster Harriers) 4 years ago
Here's daunting for you

Kettering vs. Kidderminster Harriers.

The away fans were locked in cages for our 'own safety', the stadium walls were lined with broken milk bottle glass, cemented around the edges to stop Kettering fans climbing in.... The floodlights had barbed wire snaking up them....

Late in the 2nd half the match was stopped as the announcer proclaimed:

"Unless the home fans throwing pool balls at the away goalkeeper refrain from doing so, the match will be abandoned". Sure enough, looking at our end, there were about 50 pool balls in Paul Jones' net.

When the match concluded, the Kettering fans jumped atop our cage and started spitting / shaking the crap out of it, while others stormed the pitch, climbed the floodlights etc.

When we finally got out, I'd say roughly 1 in 5 cars in the away carpark had a brick put through the window

God knows what woulda' happened had Kettering LOST!
Wow I think we have a winner! That's amazing how intense fans can get over a minnow team jk, but thanks for sharing, I can relate when its comes to the bricks through the car windows.... In Liverpool, often when you use the parking lots outside Anfield before a game you'l be asked to pay a "protection" fee by a group of teens, turns out everyone who didn't pay this fee had smashed in windows :/ Funny how that works!
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Back in Dublin, my dad told me a story about kids asking for money to 'mind' his car while he was away from it. We had a dog at the time, so my dad said "No, its ok, the dog will look after it". Then the kids said "Can it put out fires? "
Unbelievable.... There's some dodgy folk around these days no doubt :/
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Haha I would give those kids some money, yikes
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Man utds away support is awesome, very vocal.
But I must admit, one of the best sets of fans I have come across was fc copenhagen at old trafford, they were outstanding, they sung all their songs in english, winding the utd fans up with, "are you city in disguise" etc:, very noisy and witty
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Surely the Italian Ultras...Mainly Milan's Fossa dei Leoni
Just look at the noise and the atmosphere they create...Looks like a battlefield really

Just imagine how you would actually feel when you go there and watch the Milan derby!
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I spot the Union Jack!
MyRaJ (Barcelona) 4 years ago
The Awesome !
Senthil (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Great atmosphere in football field ever!
I love that fire!
Yep, that gives a traditional feel.  I don't really like the 'modernized' football atmosphere in the premiere league.
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
That looks great atleast until things are going fine if not......This is what happens!

Exactly.Italian fans are equally dangerous.
Btw the flair throwers were the Interistas.
And Juve fans are even more dangerous.Racism+Extreme violence.
They burnt the seats after seeing Milan outclassing Juve a week ago.

Chelsea is the new religion for us! Blue is the color!

The blue army is bigger!
Are they protesting for their pensions!?
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Lol
Boo !
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Anfield on a huge Champions League night is fantastic. Sends shockwaves through my body just listening to the crowd
100% agree, check out my post below!

Before Galatasaray's semi-final UEFA Cup match with Leeds United A.F.See. In 2000, two Leeds fans, Christopher Loftus and Kevin Speight, were stabbed to death in Istanbul following street fights between Turkish and British hooligans. UEFA allowed the game to proceed and Galatasaray won 2-0. Leeds complained because home fans jeered while a message of condolence was read for the victims. Galatasaray's players refused to wear black arm bands. The Leeds chairman at the time, Peter Ridsdale, accused Galatasaray of "showing a lack of respect". He also revealed that his teams' players had received death threats before the match. Violence also occurred between Arsenal fans and Galatasaray fans before the 2000 UEFA Cup final in Copenhagen in which a Galatasary fan, an Arsenal fan and a Dane were said to have been stabbed.
Galatasary fans take passion and creating a daunting atmosphere way too far, welcome to hell alright :/
On a better note.... Liverpool not only create a tough, competitive atmosphere with our fans getting 100% behind the team, they don't take football out of proportion and taint our beautiful with racism/violence.

"Make us Dream"
Red Star Belgrade have some pretty crazy fans capable of creating some atmosphere. However they are notorious for violence and corruption within the club which isn't good at all. Some of the most infamous football riots in history took place in Zagreb, when the Red Star fans instigated the Zagreb fans into a frenzy that exploded in the stadium and even onto the pitch. There were said to have been about 3 or 4 thousand traveling Delije and they certainly caused quite a ruckus. I just thought I would mention the Delije(or heroes) of Red Star because no one have spoke of them, but they are one of the most extreme groups of ultras in football and should be frowned upon as supporters in my opinion. Yes there is a lot of passion in football but it shouldn't escalate into ultra-violence and discrimination.

There is a video.

There are many clubs and stadiums that create great atmospheres and auras around the stadium without violence and racism. One of those is the great English club Liverpool, YNWA, but they have already been covered earlier in the post. There is nothing better than the Kop in bloom on a European night at Anfield though, at least what I have seen from television and heard from other people. I have never actually been yet, but I would love to go one day more than anything. I will sing my heart out when I go Most English clubs have done well at creating a very powerful atmosphere without the racism of the ultras that are so prevalent in Italy and other countries. Stoke City are said to have the loudest fans. Liverpool have to be some of the most passionate, Celtic and Rangers in Scotland of course are known for their passion and die hard attitude. As well as a long history. Turkey and Greece have absolutely crazy fans haha. Barcelona have great fans, extremely passionate, definitely some of the best in Europe if not in the world. I love whenever you see a goal in Argentina it looks like there is a wall of people trying to push onto the field, it would be insane to be at one of those games.
And of course West Ham. They have some of the most loyal and dedicated fans in the game. Great atmosphere as well. And of course they have their notorious firm that all of London fears. Surely these firms aren't good for football, but no one is going to stop them haha
Wow those are some insane fans, very in depth post, I like it!
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Italian fans are mad. Too much so. When They start killing people over things they crossed the line.

Old Trafford on a good day can be quite deafening. The Fans Go pretty mad on a big game like Arsenal vs Man Utd. Of course the atmosphere is always great, but The fans come through when it really matters
Man United fans not only create a good atmosphere but they do it in a way that brings wit and humor into the game though clever chants. Something Liverpool's fans have also been able to achieve. Both sets of fans are surely some of the best in the world
Alen (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Its all about the Bosnians

Horde Zla - FK Sarajevo

Wow interesting, I never gave Bosnians credit for being passionate football fans, only because their not under the spotlight often though...
Wooow! Awesome! Hardcore fans of bosnian
The Blue Maniacs - F.K.Zeljeznicar

VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
Partizan Belgrade fans known as Grobari (Gravediggers).

Impressive!
Mancity arbians!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football