Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Which Players Will Become Great Managers?
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
The best players don't always make the best coaches. Pele, Eusebio and George Best never tried their luck, while Bobby Charlton, Francisco Gento and Mario Kempes endured forgettable spells in the hot-seat.

So it's not easy to predict who will be great (not easy at all) so who do you think will become like the next Ferguson
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Gerrard, Terry, Lampard, Ballack, Giggs, Maldini, Nedved, Del Pierro, Viera, Henry, Raul....
These are all wild guesses, but since they all have so much experience and knowledge of the game, I guess they'll become decent managers.... (not nessacerily the next Fergie though....)
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I'd back Terry, Giggs, and Nedved from your list. They've got that leadership quality in my opinion
Woohoo! 3 out of 11 aint bad  Those players have all been/are all captains...
I agree with that and Gerrard
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Haha, Ronaldo! I'm just kidding! Yes, I think gerrard will be a good coach, and lampard!
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 5 years ago
Gerrard is way too dumb to be a coach, have you seen his interviews? Haha I'm joking, it's pretty much impossible to actually know, as there are too many examples of players that were phenomenal players and captains but were horrible coaches. Example: Maradona vs Dunga.... Great player and good captain vs average player but great captain = Average (being giving here, he's been pretty horrible actually but he's just starting) coach vs good coach
TheReggular (Liverpool) 5 years ago
It's true, it seems like the greatest managers had short, unremarkable, or otherwise anonymous playing careers. Examples? Benitez and Ferguson
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Dunga is trash man
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Well Ferguson is a very experiance choach. Many good players arnt good choachs because they don't no how to do all this tatics and stuff. They are used to be the one to finsh it of. But I think Maldini or Giggs will be the two good players to become choachs
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I can see Giggs and Maldini being excellent managers. I think Zidane would to, but I can't see him ever managing
TheReggular (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Jamie Carragher!
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Random?
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I think a shouty character like Roy Keane has a good career as a manager ahead of him. My prediction: within ten years Keane will be manager of Man United.

Yes, I know he's already a manager, but I can see him having a long career
Ninsane (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yes I really really really hope so. It was a shame he left Sunderland after a good record at championship. I like Roy Keane's character. I believe he could be the next United's manager
Lfc4life (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Maldini after playing 25 years of football he nos so much!
Lfc4life (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Oh I remembered great players don't make gud managers
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 5 years ago
Hum, I would consider him since his dad was a manager already (not a great one but I'm sure he's got a few good pointers) plus he was never a phenomenal player, he was always a good captain and leader rather than an amazing defender in my opinion...
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Del Piero. He is such a inspiration to the team and leads the team really well
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Agreed man.... IMO he has the most love for his team that anyother players in the world...
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Managing is not very easy its a total different issue, a player with a good knowledge in the game may or may be able to be a good manager.

I don't think gerrard will take up a manager career, Hypia, Nedved will make it big.
Maldini, Del Piero, Carragher will plunge into but its quite difficult to find a good club
Maybe they'll captain their own current clubs...
Totti? Barry? Keane(Robbie)? Kaka? Pirlo?  They're all good captains...
Hmm Barry Kaka will Keane maybe and Pirlo I have no idea
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
For Liverpool hopefull Sami Hypia, Carragher and Gerrard
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Giggs, Terry, Lampard, Ferdinand, Pirlo and possibly Henry, don't know if henrywould become a good manager or not, I can deffinatly see him becoming a manager if he wished, to me he would either be extremely succesful or just manager a smaller club and be average
He would attract players to play for him, if he became a manager...
Nope none of them will become good managers
That's a very pessimistic look at it.... Certainly it's a fine comment, but can you explain it?
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
It's impossible to predict who will become great managers due to the fact that there is so much that goes into it. For example, I thought that Tony Adams would make a great manager, he still can, but his spell with Portsmouth was shocking and Maradona isn't doing that great either. Keane also had a average spell with Sunderland although he did get them promoted. . I see Maldini, Giggs, Hyppia, Carragher, del Piero being good coaches. However I think Lampard could be a good manager along with Pirlo
Because I don't see them becoming Managers I don't no how to explain it now
Hmm think about it?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football