Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Whats Your View On Stephen Ireland
Lukas (Chelsea) 4 years ago
What do you think about him not wanting to play for Ireland
Salt (Aston Villa) 4 years ago
I think it's time he sucked it up and went back. So they were giving him grief about his ridiculous hair?! Big deal. He's an excellent player that would improve Ireland without a shadow of a doubt.

Whether the Irish would want him back after all the lies about miscarriage and his grandmother's deaths is another matter.

Bottom line is that he is an outstanding footballer but not a great person
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
You pretty much summed it up. Not sure whether he thinks he's too big for the team or whether he's sore about being discovered as a liar, but he needs to put on the green shirt and earn his place in Irish football history
Sam (Juventus) 4 years ago
So can someone explain what the lies were and why he opted to not play for the team? I know I can google it, but then again that's why I have you guys...
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
He lied about his grandmother(s) dying in order to miss a crucial international game for the Republic (can't remember who against), he then claimed his girlfriend had a miscarriage and he needed to console her.

Supposedly these were all lies, and the real reason he skipped the match was because his team-mates were making fun of his haircut but that is strictly pub gossip. As far as I'm aware, his girlfriend did have a miscarriage but he was too flustered and shook up to come out with the truth in the first place
Could this have been the solution to all the problems?

Keong (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Lol
I'm just kidding! I honestly do believe that Ireland would have qualified by now had Stephen Ireland been a part of the squad up to this point. And he looks better with a shaved head, anyway!
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
From the wikipedia article:

Essentially, he said he couldn't play because three different grannies died (no joke).

In September 2007, Ireland was at the centre of controversy when, in the immediate aftermath of a Republic of Ireland international match and days before their crunch game against the Czechs, coach Steve Staunton informed him of a telephone call just received from his girlfriend reporting the death of his maternal grandmother. On returning the call Staunton was able to ascertain that this was in fact a fabrication designed to excuse Ireland from international duty and allow him to return home with minimal opposition. Now consigned to deceit Ireland confirmed the dead grandmother story to Staunton who quickly consented to Ireland's compassionate leave on these grounds, a private jet was chartered for his return.
However the media quickly discovered that Ireland's grandmother was not dead, at which point Ireland announced it was his paternal grandmother who died but yet again, reporters discovered that Ireland's paternal grandmother was also still alive, and her relatives had threatened to sue one newspaper that reported her death. Ireland changed his story again, saying one of his grandfathers had divorced and it was his second wife who had died.
He has not played for Ireland since this controversy.

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Ireland
Banacula (Aston Villa) 4 years ago
I don't think he will ever play international football again, simply because of his mentality. It is not well known but this is not the first time he has had problems with the national team. While playing at underage level he had a disagreement with Youth team manager Brian Kerr. When Kerr got the Ireland Senior job Ireland stated that he would not play for the country while Kerr was the manager.

While this never really came to the fore while Kerr was manager as Ireland had not yet established himself in the city team, it shows that playing for his country was never that high on his priorities

Kick4Life - changing lives through football