Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Went Wrong In Man Utd's 6-1 Defeat?
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
?
BoboRed (Leeds United) 3 years ago
Nothing went wrong. It all went beautifully, beautifully right
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
After all this is a beautifully game isn't it !
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Everything
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Everything x 2
Peteko 3 years ago
Everything x 2 + 6
Fiasc0 (Eintracht Braunschweig) 3 years ago
s**t happens get over it. (ask Bayern Munich fans, they know it well)
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Although I was going for City for this game, I'll have to agree with you. s**t happens. Bayern Munich.... Chelsea. Ruined my day.... (being from the USA, game was in the morning and afternoon)
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Both teams had their full squads available (dunno much about Vidic though), but City seemed to be better prepared for this match having already played United 3 times this year. United could have done much better devensively early in the game though. Silva was outstanding once again, and Manchester just couldn`t keep up
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Nothing went wrong, City were just the better team. The score however was somewhat ridiculous considering City had just 3 goals in the 88th minute, then boom 3 more goals in like 5 mins lol
Peteko 3 years ago
There is no excuse for a team like United to be dismantled in that manner. They were simply run over by City.

I think it was all about winning mentality, courage and concentration. City had them. United lacked them
I think United simply lack someone in the middle to control pace. City's Silva is unstoppable this year. United midfield are choking weak
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Anderson is no long term solution, he is far too inconsistent imo to make a team like Utd's midfield. Silva absolutely tore him to shreds and served him grilled to ferguson, Cleverly is good but they need a a CM in the Winter Window. I suggest De Rossi if his contract talks are still not working
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
The tactics was wrong and the red card. The red card left us searching for 3 goals to win the game in the last 5 minutes and for that reason they picked us off on the counter attack. I do not agree that anderson is not a long term solution. He is not the reason for the defeat. If I remember I think he came off when the game was at 1-0 or 2-0. Again without anderson and cleverley pairing we lacked energy in they midfield to put any pressure on their players. I have nothing against fletcher and carrick but I would rather young ryan tunnicliffe in the midfield alongside anderson till cleverley return. That way we can put more pressure on players the opponent and give them less space to create if we continue to use 4-4-2
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Ferguson himself admitted after the game that it was pure madness. Everyone in the entire world including Ferguson could see that City were the far better team on the day and yet the United players kept pushing 8 men forward (including Evra etc) - even when they were a man down! I believe Fergie said that there are some days you need to realise that it is not going to happen for you, and you should just park the bus.

Unfortunately for United, no-one told the players that and they ran about like headless chickens, giving away three extra goals in the final four minutes
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I at least expected city to make it difficult for manchester united cos I watched them against basel, norwich and liverpool none of the games where convincing for them though they went on with the good results compared to what they displayed on the field, but that was not the case with city they had silva and balotelli and they where bang on.... Plus look at the team they have I mean even if aguero or nasri gets injured they have got balotelli, dzeko, silva to back up....

Same is not the case with manchester united they have got nani, rooney and young, and they rely too much on them even if single of them gets injured one dimension clearly goes missing, cleaverly is promising though, also chica is not as convincing as he was last season, but I think he has played a too little to judge him yet....

So comparing whole squads strength man city are way better, and they never are going to face injury problems so if man utd are aiming for title they have to be on their toes and injury or no injury they have to perform....
Rooney can only perform if everything goes in his favour - if it doesn't he gets frustrated and thuggish and gets sent off. United cannot afford this
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Rooney is thuggish and gets sent off completely agree, but he'll need backing up from behind and clearly they where outclassed against city, so splashing the cash is the only option left with united and SAF will realize that soon enough....

Comparing their situation with liverpool and chelsea and city they have got money, chelsea and city have already established them selves in top 4 and might even be called as title challengers, liverpool is building their squad splashing the money so in season or 2 they would raise their standards too....

United can't survive with the current squad, though SAF with all his witty tricks always have survived but now competition level is far more better and bigger....
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Lol
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I've watched quite a few of Man City's games this season and last season. I know that City usually play a 4-2-3-1 formation. One thing that I quite don't get is Silva and Milner's role on the field when City played United. Silva is listed as a left mid and Milner as the right mid. Yet, the first goal came from Milner when he was on the left wing. The second goal came when Silva was on the right wing and made a pass to Milner (who is also on the right flank) who cross it in for Balotelli. I usually see Silva everywhere on the field. Anyone seeing this too?
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
They probably rotate with eachother, something the front three of Barça do all the time too. This is to prevent their markers from properly man-marking them.

A player like Silva (and Milner, for that), is at his best when unmarked, with lots of space to pick that pass out right. By giving him the freedom to switch positions and basically giving him a free role, he usually flourishes. Especially when United's players are all over the place and he's in the form of his life
The team I work for (Wellington Phoenix) do this too. I've seen it a lot. You know your role is to stay really close and stop Silva from getting close to goal, and next time you look, Silva is completely across the pitch. Who do you mark then? Even a moments confusion can be enough
That is just a nominal role. He's given the rights to float about the pitch
Peteko 3 years ago
United started in great form this season. It may not mean much. Remember how well Chelsea started last season. Everyone had predicted them as winners and the first weeks only emphasized that prediction.

Never trust a good start of the Premier League nowadays. After all the praises for new generation of players, the good start lost its splendor although United has kept getting results.

Nevertheless, saying that you saw this result with City coming, just because of the a string of bad games by United doesn't sound right to me. Again back to the last two seasons, United were masters of getting results from poor games. I agree that form matters and United are in a dip, but I still believe that they could have seen City off with what they had and with the backing from the stands of Old Trafford.

I wouldn't be surprised if United go to copy even farther Chelsea's experience of last year. It is probably a normal situation when you have an older generation and a younger one, with the players in the middle unable to shine. The older ones are getting too old and the younger ones need a couple more years to adjust.

City should try to make as much as they can of this great form, because nothing last long in the Premier League. Will City continue to rule until Christmas or will their good form evaporate earlier? Until they hit the first bad result, try to avoid them and hope that the schedule does not have your club playing against them in the coming weeks

Kick4Life - changing lives through football