Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Revolves Around Soccer?
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
As I see it, football is football, or it is futbol, nogomet, fodbold, or in my case, soccer. What I'm getting to is what is the problem with me as an American calling it soccer rather than football, when in actuality we all play the same game? I've always just wanted to know why people flipped out about it.

Shoot
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
This comment has been removed.
Lol that was kinda funny
But I'm black lol
And have just as much passion and work ethic for the game of football, or soccer, as any other member on this site or anyone I play against.
I just kind of hate the fact that sometimes people group all Americans together and say that they aren't passionate about the game.
Soccer if Football and Football is Soccer to me.
I love to play, watch, and stay active in it.
Isn't that all that matters?
Yes you are black, but in my educational institue in chicago many of the lads that play football have no passion for it. If I were to go up to them and remind them of kaka's move to madrid, most would say "who's kaka? " and the other half would say " who cares soccer's gay!" which baffles me. Most of the kids on the team only play because thier rich parents forced them to play at a young age and now they continue with it because it is the only thing they're good at. No offense to you darius I know your true passion but with that said I group all americans with that stereotype. Sorry
Lol kudos on the "who's kaka? " and "who cares soccer's gay!" quotes, I've gotten those a lot. I'm not going to lie, with most of the entertainment and money of football rotating around England, Italy, and Spain, it's hard for big time football news to circulate all the way to America, and then compete against time with Basketball, American Football, Baseball, Hockey, and even Golf. There's so many other opportunities that it's justifiable to understand why Americans aren't in football, but it isn't for some Americans to knock it off as a "below-average" sport
I know your not one of those kid's Darius, you got my respect    (btw check out my profile if you liked those videos I put up )
Dali (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I must agree with Agspiratos.... Some Americanos just don't appreciate the beautiful game. I can't diss though, because I was basically raised in the Estados Unidos, so what can I say? I just know that futbol will always be my fav
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Umm some people in every country don't enjoy the beautiful game, it Bseems like people are stuck on the name of the game, if it is truly beautiful why does it matter what we call it?
Btw Brits call baseball rounders
That's exactly what I'm trying to say Pocketg99, and to confirm that, having baseball being called rounders doesn't affect me at all. I could care less. It's all the same game. So why should there be a problem between "soccer" and "football"?
I totally agree, High five over the internet
High five received.
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Can I throw in an internet pound it to you as well? That is an excellent point
TFoAV (Whitecaps) 5 years ago
I'm an African American myself. (just needed to throw that in there. Lol.) And yeah, prety much everybody I know who isn't a soccer fan doesn't like it because there's "not enough scoring" like the usual, but there was also another interesting reason: "Because they don't have the best players playing in the USA. " That leads me to believe that if the best players all went to the US and put MLS on a competitive level of that you see in the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, and the like, then maybe soccer would take off as a sport here. I doubt it though.

Basically, Americans are used to having the best quality of sports, otherwise they won't support it. They have the world's best american football players, the world's best baseball players, the world's best hockey players, and the world's best basketball players. Americans are s poiled when it comes to that. And then, there's also the fact that the American sport scene is over saturated.

So yeah, it's easy to see why most Americans just don't get why the rest of the world is so in love with football.... But they should just do like we do on footytube and get with the program. lol
Yeah most definitely true. As an American, I am spoiled with a variety of sports. And you forgot Golf too! Lol You know you are when SportsCenter can provide a "Top Ten" segment everyday. I definitely don't take it for granted though. And MLS won't be able to sign big names, if you count out Beckham, because we have a salary cap. LA Galaxy is the highest paying team, just under 9 million! The average salary of a MLS player is 117, 299 dollars, and there are only “5” players in the league that make more than a million dollars a year
Yeah, I know about the salary cap, which makes it pretty much slim to none that it'll ever happen. Until there are as many kids in the US that are like other kids around the world that are kicking a ball around as soon as they learn how to walk, then soccer won't be as popular.

I do think that it's a good sign that whenever there's a usmnt game or an exhibition between 2 European sides in a big football stadium, there's always a sell out or darn-near sell-out. That shows that there is a market for big-time football in America. Just not ready for it yet
I think it can take it's first Giant step if the US can do exceptionally well in the World Cup. Their performance depends more on football's progression in America than probably more than any other topic surrounding the World Cup in my opinion. Their success depends heavily on whether football will become more popular. And to tell the truth, it shouldn't be that hard lol we are ranked 14th in the world!
I'll go on a rant about FIFA world rankings later (they're really out of wack, they either overrate teams or underrate teams), but I do agree. A deep world cup run for the usmnt would do wonders for football in America. Even becoming a mainstay as a world power would be huge. Not happening anytime soon, but the day is definitely going to come when the US becomes a power. Hell, they've gone from minnows to a pretty decent side since the 90s. No telling what they could evolve into if they continue at this pace
Yeah sooner or later the US will be known for producing more than quality goalkeepers, with players like Clint Dempsey, Landon, Onyewu, Bradley, Adu, and personally most importantly, Jozy Altidore, who has the potential to be an International star
Absolutely. Altidore's going to be the face of the usmnt sooner than later. As long as more players come through that system, the US WILL be good in the future
Barca4life09 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
The worlds best basball players? How many people outside of america play baseball? Well don't answer that because no one cares futbol or soccer is best most watched sport in the world so americans can get on board or be behind like with everything else
Barca has a baseball team. And sorry if us Americans can't get on board. You're grouping all Americans into one tiny box. Everyone in America doesn't despise football, or else I wouldn't be on footytube
Its cool that americans like soccer atleast a small part I just saw an occasian to diss baseball andi took it
Don't worry. Everyone does. Even I do. But back to when you asked if anyone other than Americans play baseball. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty confident in saying that probably almost half of MLB is Hispanic. Baseball's also popular in Japan and China, with it actually being one of their most popular sports. Now back to bagging on baseball. It can have some of the most physically gifted athletes and at the same time contain some of the biggest lards you'll ever see. Lol Maybe that was a little harsh, but it's true
Ya its true so football rules lol
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
I'm pretty sure neither of you is African (purely), but they make up almost half of MLS. Also, I live in the greatest football community there is, the Pacific Northwest. I'm one of the lucky few. My coach played throughout college, and is one of those rare coaches who coaches you. He watches the pros, and understands how they play. Then he transfers that information to us. The organization I play for is in good hands, those being of former Newcastle youth player and English-born Neil Sedgwick. I am under great coaches at the high school level, and we're bound to be the best team in the state, eventually, with 50 people coming out to try for two teams every year. I'm lucky. I'm still devoted, however. One of the biggest setbacks though, this'll sound weird, is the fact that UCL is no longer in the hands of ESPN. If someone has the money for FSC and Setanta, they're probably not the type who's gonna' miss it for work or school. I have school, and DVR has been my best friend for these past few years. It was a way of connecting the few devoted US fans with the world, because we know this isn't the most popular sport in American, but rather the world, and international football was the closest that brought us together
Most definitely true. The Pacific Northwest is heavy in soccer. So is St. Louis though, we rake out talent. We have some of the top high school soccer programs in the nation, as well as St. Louis University, which holds the NCAA record for most Division 1 titles. Another big reason is because St. Louis is such an immigrant city. As a matter of fact, my varsity and junior varsiy team consisted of people from Ethiopia, Togo, Peru, Canada, and Mexico. And another player is half Columbian. Also, the Sunday League team that I play for consists mainly of Mexican born players, which has forced me to learn Spanish lol
Ben (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I dug up a short article which has a nice run down on the linguistic origins:

"The word "soccer" actually comes from England, where the modern version of the game originated.

In England, there were two types of football: rugby football and association football. The slang term for rugby football was "rugger, " and the slang for association football was "assoc. "

The word "assoc" gradually evolved into "soccer, " which was much easier to say.
When association football was introduced to North America, gridiron football (the type played by the NFL and in the Super Bowl) was already well established. To avoid confusion, Americans adopted the British nickname "soccer" for the new sport. "

Another theory states:
"Football has roots thousands of years ago across many countries of the world but in England it became taken up by the working classes and frowned upon by those in authority and the upper classes. It was a very rough and dangerous sport at first, known as "mob football" and was little more than a violent street battle. The first use of the phrase "football" or rather "fut ball" was in 1424 in the editc reproduced on the right, but what about "soccer"?

If you look up at the closest-sounding modern word, "sock", a couple of interesting points appear. The modern word comes from an old English word spelt "socc". More interestingly this was not a snug, fabric covering as it is today, but back then it meant a light shoe and it comes from the Latin "soccus". The word "socc" to mean "shoe" first appeared in 725ad but was there any evidence of it relating to football? "
Wow! So the word soccer actually came from Engalnd? Hmm
Yeah blaming us for something they did
How typical of the Englishman. Haha!
Nikki711 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
When I think of the word soccer, it brings to mind silly american children sunning around a field with shitty plastic boots. When I think of the word football, it brings to mind the talented individuals all throughout the world, that train hard and emit sweat blood and passion into every ounce of their game and produce magic everytime they touch the ball. That's whats up.
The same things you described for football are the same things I think of when I think of soccer, or vice versa
Good point nikki711
ZidaneTheLagend (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Yeah Really Good Point
Lol. How is this a good point? Its just another example of how naiive the world is to the sport being played in America
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Haha, okay I'll add my opinion, since I'm both black and African (straight out of Cameroon). The biggest problem I see with soccer in the USA is both the mentality people have towards it and the league system. Obviously other people have commented enough on how Americans call soccer gay, so I won't delve further into that.

Instead, I want to rant on about the league system we have here in the great United States, for soccer and other sports as well. I'm not sure about other Americans experiences with sports, but to me it seems that the league system is seriously lacking. Obviously we all know the MLS is the highest soccer league in the states, but then what's under that? If you're still wondering then it's not because you're dumb, but rather because the league under the MLS (called USL by the way) gets almost no recognition even in the US. Everyone can name the Championship, Ligue 2, or even the 2 Bundesliga if asked.

In America there is no "relegation" or "promotion" which is the heart of the flaw. Fans have no real reason to cheer on a local team because whatever league you're in will be the same one you're in next season. So there's the whole passion element. I have no reason to care if Red Bull loses every game this season, b/c they'll still be there next season. And the same can be said for other sports, at almost every level in the United States.

Ok lastly because this is a long post, soccer at a high school level and college level is looked as more important than club; however this is slowly changing. Still, a majority of the players in the MLS come from college teams rather than club teams, like Brad Freidel who played at UCLA first. So there is no real enthusiasm from the community at large.

There's more I want to say but this post is too long, but feel free to get into a discussion with me about it anytime
Yeah it would be cool if MLS and the USL could become intergrated, possibly putting the next few expansion teams in the USL so promotion and relegation can become more competitive. Also, the high school and college popularity really won't change because it's almost necessary for you to get a higher level of education these days, unless you plan on winning the lottery or become a gangster rapper lol
Also, playing club football in the United States can become very expensive, since the youth teams aren't sponsored by professional clubs, as opposed to playing AAU basketball or Legion Baseball
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
It's somewhat frustrating to watch these sports season after season. Like last season, the Detroit Lions played terribly, losing every game of the season. But they're still going to be there next season, so it's like "really? " A team that bad should be booted or something but no
That's what the NFL draft is for, as well as the MLS draft and MLB and NBA and NHL draft, to give the crappy teams a winning chance. The salary cap plays a big factor as well
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
It's tough for American Soccer leagues.... It is beginning to get more popular and as a result more money is being invested in the League. I agree that some of that should be put into the league below the MLS to build a connection between the two leagues and start to get more notoriety.

It's too bad that the Barca plan for an MLS expansion team in Miami fell through. I think it's important to bring teams to the areas that have large populations of people of many nationalities since, as it has been mentioned before, Americans are less than enthusiastic about it. Promoting clubs in big international cities New York, LA, Miami, etc and really investing big money into the league will eventually lead to the growth of the league as a whole.... With more talent actually looking forward to playing in the states as opposed to retiring there a la old folks to Florida.

Unfortunately, with the economy where it is, it's a bleak near future for MLS; well, at least as bleak as the years it's been in operation.... So hey, no where to go but up right?
MLS needs a team in St. Louis and Miami
And what was the Barca plan?
Barca was planning on investing in a MLS expansion team in Miami.... But the plan has been mutually rejected apparently. So that's lame
That would have been awesome! I can imagine it now! They picked a great city to do it in too. Man I wished that would have worked out. Wait. Didn't Miami have a MLS team?
Plus, going on about the club level thing, there aren't any "club" opportunities after the age of 18. After that, if your not playing in the college level your screwed if your trying to play competitively. Sure there are a ton of mens, womens, and co-ed leagues, but I've played in only 2 games, and I'm bored of that
Luckily some of the clubs here in St. Louis have teams over 21. I think it's only like three though
Aww I'm jealous. Hopefully I make the team where I go to college next year. I've been craving some competiveness
What college are you going to?
Either CU-Boulder or the University of Minnesota. I'm having a tough time trying to decide
Go to Montana
Here you go, the rumoured expansion teams. Steve Nash was talking about owning one.

Link: voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/10/ml...
Philly next year, and Portland and Vancouver in 2011 (our first "darby," and it will be a crazy one)
And St. Louis next!
P. S. I like this thread
Greatly appreciated.
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Aaaahhhhh! Too many long essays in this thread! I can't read all this.... It makes me sick.... (or maybe it's my lunch)....
I won't read all of this.... I'l just say that "some" Americans.... "some!".... Don't like the game because they don't appreciate the build-up in play.... You can see that in all the other sports they like,
Baseball is a fast swing, hit and run game....
Basketball uses a court as small as my house....
Hockey is about less friction and more speed on the ice....
American football is about throwing the ball as far as you can and hoping some fast guy can catch it....
I don't know about golf though....
The point is, that "some" Americans like sports to be fast and action filled all the way, not passing it around and finding a way in....
So, there's my conclusion, and yes, I know I made a long essay myself, like the ones I just complained about.... I'm a hypicrit.... So sue me.... (sarcasm)
No offense to anyone here, just wanted to make a point....
Valid point made Yamsey. By the way it's spelled "hypocrite" lol And the only reason there are essay-like comments is because everyone's interested in the subject!
Very true.... A good thread topic and thanks for the correction...
Anytime. I'm a human dictionary.
I still think its a pretty well followed sport
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Answer to your Title. I Say Equality. Black, White Watever. It Doesent Matter in Football
It's really not about me or anyone else being black. I just wish their were a solution, not an immediate one, but a solution that can help at least raise the popularity around the sport. For example, I only see advertisements for soccer when MLS matches are on. On top of that, the matches are being played on espn2. They always are. The only exception this year was the Champions League Final. Which, thank God, was shown on live on ESPN
ESPN is the worst network ever for footy. They put down the sport in every which way. Whenever the sport comes up as a topic on say SportsCenter, the analysts laugh about the game and say it isn't a sport. They completely disregard what the majority of the world loves, and call American football the biggest sport on the planet. Its really quite disrespectful to all of us who love the game.

In answer to the topic, I think footy/soccer/futbol is truly about life. Once you fall in love with the beautiful game, life just ends up revolving around it. Life is football, football is life. Nothing can ever compare to the pure joy of scoring a fantastic goal, the grit and determination in a hard tackle, or the heartbreak in an agonizing loss in football
Gavrazor (Manchester City) 5 years ago
You sir have hit the nail on the head, I couldn't agree more
At first I disagreed with you, but now I don't after watching Around the Horn just a few minutes ago. Ronaldo's transfer was the topic and not only did the mispronounce "Real" in Real Madrid, they also could not pronounce Carlos Tevez's name correctly. On top of that, they called him "Alex" Tevez! It angers me so much on how they are so irrelevant to the football world, even on a subject as large as a 80 million pound transfer, which is 131 million American dollars. That's a lot of money!
Argh. I hate ESPN so much. For each sport they talk about one or two teams constantly (maybe three). The analysts have absolutely no idea how to pronounce anyone in footballs name. Its ridiculous
Lol.... If you think that's bad, you should listen to the chinese commentaries here.... I'm sure, half the time, they don't even know what they're talking about, they're probably making it up as the game goes on.... It's frustrating and annoying...
Not surprising really.... It's first and foremost an American sports network. Most Americans are bored by soccer therefore no one gives a damn when they're watching news about it
Bah. No matter really, they still spend a significant amount of time on sports like hockey, which doesn't even have the following soccer, oh excuse me, football, has in America. I went to a pub in Minneapolis for the Champions League final, it was standing room only. The game is followed very well in the USA, this is the thing everyone needs to realize. TV ratings and amount of time spent talked about a sport on air does not designate how well footy is followed and liked
Charlie (Barcelona) 5 years ago
I thought this was funny, what do you guys think? Oh, and before anyone gets upset; he's a comedian.

Link: www.hulu.com/watch/80663/the-colbert-report-is-it-...
Ben (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Haha Colbert is genius! "So, is it time to pay attention to the sport that we have become the world champions at ignoring? "
lol "You could grate cheese on that stomach. Cheese that American athletes would then eat. "
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Hulu only delivers content to IPs in the United states, so I wasn't able to see this.... I like the Colbert report though.

I spotted it here also, on a Colbert site

Link: www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/23...

I thought it was pretty funny.... Apart from the rioting part with the whooping audience
Charlie (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Darn. Yeah, that's the average audiance for every tv show anyone does.... Everywhere in the US
Lol Yeah any primetime or later talk show hosted by a man is bound to have a whooping audience
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Doh! I posted a thread in the terrace about the word "Soccer" After searching the forums using the word soccer. There were lots of posts using the word but I couldn't find a thread so I went ahead and posted my thread. Today it was locked so I used the title of my thread and it brought me here. Ah well.... I just didn't have the patience to sift through all the past posts to find this thread. Anyways I still can't stand when people call it "Soccer".... Grrr!
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I guess I couldn't find it because the last time somebody posted here was three months ago
Yamsy (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Revive the post!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football