Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Makes Us Who We Are??? PLEASE COMMENT!!!
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
We have to do a project about an ontological question and my question to all of you out there is "What Makes us Who We Are? " please provide yourself with an opinion don't be shy to do some research. I would put this is the off topic banter but I reaally need this and nobody goes there. I only have one week so post those comments. Thank You Very Much
Alexi Spiratos aka AGSpiratos
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
Our talents and our skills
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Go with nature vs. Nurture haha
That's what I'm looking for, buty how much of which
I would argue we are born who we are and nature prevail over nurture. Say you are born and you have a fate and a built in personality and actions and that's just how you are. How you are brought up has a small impact on you
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Then he'll sound like a grad student trying to become a psychologist
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
This comment was too late and this session needs to be locked lol
Think about why you turned out the way you did.... Did your parents affect you or was it outside forces. That kind of stuff
Dali (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I have to say my parents more than anything else. I've constantly been moving since I was very young, so the people around me haven't really made an impact b'cuz I never stayed around them long enough. Although, I believe who you associate yourself with could be both a curse and a blessing
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
What do you mean only a week left
I have to turn it in by a week so post more comments on the topic, thanks guys
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Short Answer: Friends, family, and football

Long Answer:

I would say for sure my friends and family, and honestly football. For 8 years all the way up until I was in 6th grade I went to public schools. I transferred to a private school 7th grade and finished out my schooling there. My senior year I learned that my whole crew of good buddies at the public school are f****d up. One is a major drug dealer in the city I'm from, one is a convicted felon, one ran away from home and was found in the house of a convicted murderer, ones dead, and another is in prison for stealing s**t. I honestly believe that if I had stayed there, I would be one f****d up kid. Going to a private school and getting more into footy probably saved my life
That's pretty crazy man I am glad your alive haha
Thanks brother. Haha
Family, Parents more than anything they could raise you in any way they want, they could make make you believe you live in a different country if they wanted you to. Every thing depends on your parents, I suppose when you move out you can make your own choices though. But for example if from the time I was born my parents taught me to hate football then I would probably dislike football. Though if your looking to be religious I'd say god
Parents are huge, but a lot of people who had no parents made a huge influence on the world, or at least a lot of kids with troubled child hoods
True, I'm not saying you can't live a good life without parents. I'm just saying that if you have parents they make a huge impact
We just talked about this sort of stuff you guys are conversing about in philosophy today
I agree manUK, parents are a huge influence on their children. And of course everybody has parents, wether they were ever aware of them in their life or not. So nature vs. Nurture are very much akin to each other. Futbol22 I want to take philosophy or a poetry class that would be awesome. Is philosophy cool?
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
The qualities and faults each of us posses and the willingness to go forward, 'cause if you don't, you will be left behind...
These are great comments, thanks guys.... If any body hasn't responed yet please do
Andy (Rangers) 5 years ago
I don't really delve into philosophy but I'm pretty big on all things politics.

Like mentioned above, nature v nurture is core to the question, you could look into, "the nurture assumption, " by Harris for some more info or "the blank state" by Pinker.

I'm going off on a tangent here but if you are desperate then maybe you work around the idea of social conditioning and structure playing a big part in life. We learn discipline, rights and fairness through the environment in which we grow up in, and this ultimately shapes your character. Be it homelife, school, church, whatever you are exposed to early on in life sets parameters in your mind and creates a base for any perspective or opinion you will fashion in the future.

Your cultural identity is huge as well, I mean, you live in America yet you plaster your profile in all things Greek to the extent that I thought you lived permanently in Greece until you told me! I live in Northern Ireland and I don't mind telling everyone in this forum in every other post ;P With every culture comes different traditions and ideas and this is a reason people struggle to find rationale in Arabic states actions/opinions in today's "war on terror" (off the topic example) We judge and assess actions in a limited scope, how often do people really put themselves in the shoes of lets say.... An Iraqi citizen?

I think all these things shape our minds and subconscious before hobbies and talents even emerge.

I hope I helped a bit.... I didn't mean to go off on a political tangent like I said but I think politics happens in every corner of the earth, politics is ultimately relationships.
I see more philosophy than politics in your response
More comments please.... Everyone post
We umm.... Are who we are. Sorry Alexi I don't know what else to say
Just elaborate.... You may have something going on
Well our parents influence us big time but for some things you make yourself who you are, that's what I meant when I said that. So sometimes even when your a child you can say, you know what, I'm too shy so, I'll be more brave! That's what I mean by that, and of course you don't have to be a kid to do that, you could be any age and decide to change the way you are
Now that I think about it, how has football affected all your lives?
Big Time!
Affainyi (Arsenal) 5 years ago
It gives me a reason to smile each day. Nothing better for releiving depression than a good hour of two of footy. Jelps me meet many friends because it is a common activity. Rather awkard for me to meet friends so football discussions is an excellent way. Also makes you feel good about yourself and more alive. A huge infusion of self confidence. Even if you play badly the endorphins will give you a feelgood factor
Anybody else want to comment. I'll take anything
Hi there!
Come on people think!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football