Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Is Going Wrong With Liverpool?
Liverpoolians (Liverpool) 5 years ago
They still have lack of Strikers.    Should sign David Villa or David Silva or Mata
ImnotWalkinAlon (Liverpool) 5 years ago
The Liverpool owners aint got no money. It'll be different story if DIC took over
Fernando torres needs some partner
He got support from Gerrard, all he needs is a really good winger like you said, .... Silva
Phearos (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Its not exactly scoring they are not creating chances like prev. Season either. I think they need mid fielders with good chem with strikers esp torres. When on high confindence he can get you a goalout of any situations. I hope they settle quickly
Fingergod (Arsenal) 5 years ago
The problem with Liverpool is that sold xabi alonso.... They need a decent play maker in the midfield and also need a quality centre forward. Put gerrard back in the midfield where he belongs!
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Liverpool always had a problem. It Only gotten worse. They havent won a trophy in a while if you not winning with a big club like Liverpool then they need a new manager simple as that. Liverpool is not a team that's trying to be competitive there trying to win it all. It then and I think Rafa needs to go.
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Agreed Rafa should go
YOU gotta' BE kidding....  
Theshid (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I don't quite agree with people sayin Rafa have to go he was here for the past 5 years he made some good buys, and bad ones. But I mean if Rafa goes the situation is going to be critic because the new manager will have his new idea for the team , he'll want to change everything or at least some things. Every year the team is getting better, the only difference this season is that we lost a key player, the last key player we sold before that was Owen. I mean give the fella some credit after all he done for the club I know we need some trophies but he's started building something let's leave him finish what he started and if it doesn't work well he'll have to move on
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I totally agree with this. There seems to be a bit of a culture in football these days that if your team loses three in a row, everyone calls for the manager to be sacked. Look at Alex ferguson. In the first three or four years at United, everyone hated him, wanted him sacked. Now look
Also they havent won anything in a while. The last cup they won was the FA Cup in 2006. Surely you must make changes if your not getting any good results in such a long period of time
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Yes "In Rafa We Trust"
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Rafa is doing a good job with what he has. He made a mistake selling Xabi Alonso. The team they had last year were championship contenders who really just got a little unlucky in a few games. They are still contenders this year as well, I just think it will be even more difficult than last year was for them without Xabi Alonso as Lucas is a rubbish replacement for him
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Once Aquilani comes in there will be more chances created thus better quality thus better goals. The team has to change their style because they lost a player in which their style of play heavily depended on. Now they have to play differently like ManU is trying to do because of the loss of Ronaldo. Only the coach is really stubborn so this is going to be a tough season for Liverpool and a very long one
Ponchoman17 (Internacional Porto Alegre) 5 years ago
Aquilani isn't that great he was really overshadowed at Roma by Totti, De Rossi and even Mancini. He seems like a last resort for a team that really has done poor scouting. Anyhow, Gerrard needs his space in the middle to run business. Torres is good playing alone in front with a good CF behind him. Voronin is shite and definitly can't do that. And it can't be Gerrard anymore because there is no more Xabi to do the dirty work in the middle. I think they should try to sign someone like Kerlon who is warming up Inter's bench. Or Rafael Sobis, who is doing the same at Betis
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Right.... Our main prob right now is that we're not defending well from set-pieces! Mostly from free-kicks and corners.... We need to get that right, that's why we bought the new Greek defender.... There are also many defenders out in injury, that's why our defence is struggling, surely you don't think Insua is good enough.... We got Agger, Aurelio, Aquilani and Skrtel out injered, once they're back, we'll be locked and loaded....
I disagree with sacking Rafa, give him a few more seasons, he'll prove his worth.... Just needs to buy better players....
Rafa sohuld not go. He must be in the competition as long as the oldies -alex ferguson & arsene wenger
The BBC made a good point about Liverpool (can't find link now) which went something like this:

Liverpool shocked a lot of people last year, coming so close to winning the league. Scoring loads of goals, beating the top teams etc. This season, people started to prepare for it and the way teams seem to control Liverpool is to swamp the midfield with players and man mark the main danger men. It more important to them to stop Liverpool playing than it is to play well themselves. They would be happy with a draw.

Against Bolton, Gerrard barely had a yard to run into without someone chasing him down. As soon as Bolton lost a player, the man marking failed, and Liverpool scored a few goals. Gerrard set one up and scored one.

They expect teams to try this tactic all season with Liverpool, so it'll be a tough run all the way through
That's why a good coach would fix these flaws. Which rafa got 3 years to do it and didn't. He hasnt won anything
He's won the Champions league, various cups, 2nd place in Premier league last year. Nothing bad about that in the least. He's signed some of the best players in Europe. Yes, plenty of duds, but plenty of excellent players too. Rafa's one of the best managers out there in my opinion. I've supported Liverpool long enough to see some truly awful managers come through. Rafa is a huge improvement.

Seriously, its a Chelsea thing to fire their manager after three or four bad games, not a tactic used by any of the other teams in the "big four" of Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool
Lol, a Chelsea thing
That's a good point made by the article.... Rafa should find a way to counter this tactic.... Becayse it is proving to work very well...
There's a another point Rafa don't have the same funds compared to Chelsea and Man utd. When he decided to spash cah on a player, it was always payed off (Babel is the exception at the moment)
Well as far as Chelsea go, Everytime we sacked a manager and replaced him We did better, so may be you could take that lesson before it's too late
Not the case with sacking Mourinho, getting Grant and getting Scolari...
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I mean Avram Grant led Chelsea to a champions league final and due to a pure fluke (Terry slipping), they lost. So they sacked him.... Explain to me how that makes sense
Jey119 (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Liverpool can buy robben instead of aquilani even he not so good compare to robben
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Aquilani is much younger
Jey119 (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Anyhow rafa is crap maneger
LOL.... Can't even spell it.... Now criticising it
The root of all problems is: liverpool owner
FORZAJUVEPIERO (Juventus) 5 years ago
I completely agree it's in large part an ownership issue. I don't think Rafa had as much financial backing as he was expecting during this transfer window. After coming off such a good year where they were only missing a few pieces to push for #1, I expect he was hoping to spend some money. That being said, I think Rafa should also try utilize what he has at his disposal. It is not like Liverpool do not have a talented squad
Yea but with the funds he have he's forced to buy several average players rather than a world class player
Most of the money he generated from selling Alonso went straight to RBS as loan payment. If this club owned by DIC there won't be this such a problems, instead there would be silva, villa lennon on LFC roster, and by next year New Anfield will be done and will seat 60000 fans and generate more money. FFS.... DIC come back and save us, .... Buy LFC
Dede75 (PSG) 5 years ago
None international players, and especially rafa benitez and his Spanish recruitment politic !
Are you kidding? , lets move back to last season remove the spanish players (Torres, Xabi Alonso, Reina, Arbeloa, Riera) and we're not even in the top 4. Most of the spanish players present in the squad at the moment are key players
Lol dede.... From the comment you made, your information database is so outdated. Please check Liverpool roster and google the player. Most of them play for national team
What they said....
Most of our squad is made of international players.... Further more, they are key international players.... Even Kuyt is hugely significant to the Dutch team....
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Reina, Torres, Riera - Spanish Internationals
Skrtel - Slovakia International
Kyrgiakos - Greece International
Carragher, Gerrard, Johnson - England International
Mascherano - Argentina International
Lucas, Aurelio - Brazil International
Kuyt, Babel - Dutch International
Benayoun - Isreal International

With the whole list here, you dare to say there are no Internationals?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football