Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
What Caused You Most Heartbreak?
Jabernard (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Watching iniesta and a 10 man barcelona dribble through chelsea at home and score off a beautiful shot in injury time to tie chelsea, but advance to the champions league final on goal differential.

This horrible heartache is slightly greater than john terry slipping in the rain in moscow, beating van der saar with his penalty shot, but hitting the outside of the post - the ball taking an unlucky deflection wide, and manchester united winning the champions league final
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 4 years ago
The biggest heartbreaks in my lifetime were in 98 and 2006, we won the other 2 world cups that I remember to the fullest, but before my lifetime, the 2 heartbreaks that are almost passed on as a cross to carry by any Brazilian are the 1982 World cup, where Brazil had what to this day is know as the best team ever assembled, better than the 1970 team, a true heartbreak when they lost to Italy with 3 goals from Paolo Rossi....

The second and maybe the worst was when we lost at home with 200 thousand people at the Maracana watching the final agains Uruguay and we lost the chance to win our first World Cup....

.... In 2014, it will be a different story, we will redeem ourselves....

Darius (Southampton) 4 years ago
Most recently, USA losing to Brasil in the Confed's Cup finals. I was so ecstatic that we went up 2-0 in the first half, and had the highest hopes for the second one. We had managed Brasil's midfield well in the first half and I thought that we would at least get another goal before the game was over. Unfortunately, we all know what went down. Brasil gained so much momentum after the first goal that I wasn't even sure how we were going to stop them. Even my dad, who is and livid American Football fan and knows almost absolutely nothing about football, was sad that they had given up the lead!
Sam (Juventus) 4 years ago
As a fan of Italy, I've had my fair share of heartbreaks.......There is the one that everyone remembers....WC 1994......

......And then there is the one fewer people recall- Euro 2000

The second loss was really painful and every time I saw France play, I wanted to see them crushed.......Well, revenge can be sweet!

Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I'd say the most recent heartbreak for me was Chelsea knocking us out of the Champions League last season. We got destroyed at home and that was bad enough, but then to go to stamford bridge and go up 2 0 at the half was amazing I was elated, so full of hope that we could pull it off. Then we give up 2 and it looks like there is no hope. Then Kuyt puts in a goal to make it 3 2, we can do it we can pull it off. Nope Lampard cuts it back to Drogba and they equalize again, so sad. Just back and forth emotions, and then we didn't win the league on top of that. Still a great season last year though, hopefully we can match it or improve on it. We can win the league this year YNWA
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
This was just the most recent one I could think of
Fceddie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Even though we won the championsL last year, sholes goal
Two seasons ago really killed me. I noe that barca wasnt doin that good
That season but I noe that if we would
Of beat united we could of taken out chelsea.

Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I cried when England went out of the World Cup. I know, it's weird, but it happened. I couldn't help myself, it's because I love my country. And when John Terry missed his peno I was devastated. Chelsea have had so many decisions against them over the years.

Boo hoo!
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Netherland missing world cup 2002
Zishan07 (AC Milan) 5 years ago
I wouldn't say I was heartbroken, but when Gerrard cheated to help Liverpool win the 2005 Champions League final, I was pretty pissed off. That guy is such a twat
Tz0n3 (Sporting Kansas City) 5 years ago
Last year when Hull lost 1-0 to Manchester United on the last game day, I was sure we were relegation fodder. I was GONE. I was instantly revived when I heard news that Villa did their job and beat Newcastle. Thank GOD
Zach (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Champions League Final 09, Rome....
Sitting there in the Stadio Olimpico watching my team not only lose but get comprehensively beaten....
And then walking back to my hostel listening to thousands of Barca fans singing, and regreting that I speak spanish....
Only to find that all of Rome is alcohol free....

I didn't smile or laugh for another 3 weeks....
Rockerr (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Nothing caused me such a heartbreak till now!
Salt (Aston Villa) 5 years ago
England vs Germany at Euro 1996. We came within a whisper of getting a goal right at the end but Gazza's leg was an inch too short. The heartbreak that accompanied Gareth Southgate's awful penalty was excruciating. The fact that Gareth was my favourite Villa player at the time coupled with me having "Southgate" on the back of my England shirt only made things worse. I actually got spat at on the way home from watching the game at the pub thanks to my shirt!
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
That's true. But greece should have taken their good chances
Jabernard (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Exactly
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
Greece on the road to world cup but......

Not offside!
Lfc4life (Liverpool) 5 years ago
That's unfair to be honest
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
It's been a while. Glad you are back to footytube
Lfc4life (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I've been here everyday!
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Not you!Lol I know youve been here I meant Ellada10  

Kick4Life - changing lives through football