Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Villa Fans Protesting McLeish's Appointment
Peteko 2 years ago
I wonder if it is all about crosstown rivalry or is it also because they were hoping for a bigger name. I'd rather take him than someone controversial like Benitez.
I like Villa, but considering how they let some of their best players go, including O'Neil, I wonder if the club is resigned to remain in the second tier of EPL. The problem with it is that if you don't aim higher you risk slipping lower, as this last season proved
Peteko 2 years ago
"With his move from Birmingham City to Aston Villa, Alex McLeish has succeeded in uniting a whole city against him."

Written by The Guardian

There is little love for McLeish on the Villa side too, but he is especially hated among the B-City fans. Forgotten is the success in the cup. After all, he could not save them from relegation and now this.

At least one person is already supporting him at Villa: Abonglahor

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13821404.stm...
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
It was a very unusual move.... In fact its been a strange few seasons for Villa
Peteko 2 years ago
O'Neil took them as high as it was possible. But instead of investing more, the club agreed to sell Barry and then Milner. So, O'Neil left. Now it's A Young who is leaving. No wonder the club went head down towards relegation in the start of the last season.

If you don't aim higher, you will go down. Once Villa made clear they were not interested in reaching the Top 4, it became hard for them even to get into the Top 10
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
I think Alex McLeish has done pretty well in his career thus far, and should be a good manager for Aston Villa. Why should the fans protest when its coming to your club, your team when it should ONLY be the other way round?

When someone jump ship to join your club from its fiercest rival, you should be proud. He ditched his club in favor of yours. I don't see Madrid fans swearing at Figo when he joined. Really, the fans need to know what is rivalry and what is good. Should McLeish improves them, then who cares where he was previously from?!

Having said that, I feel Villa is like Newcastle. Not improving, trying to stabilize club with cheaper options and sell prize assets is not the way to go

Kick4Life - changing lives through football