Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Very Disappointed With England U-21
Peteko 3 years ago
At least they played a bit better in the last game, but they could not score to save their lives. And for those of you who questioned the price of Henderson and Jones, they certainly did not look like 20 mil material.
I was ecstatic when they scored 10 mins before the end of the last match and I was willing to forget all the boring minutes, but they could not keep the advantage and then the Czechs scored again. 1-2 and England were sent home.
I wonder if Wilshere and the 35-mil guy would have made a difference if they had joined the team.

I expected more to be honest
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
What do you expect when their manager was a long ball merchant himself, don't get me wrong, stuart pearce would have died for england, but he comes from the era were bigger stronger lads were all the rage, so he's a dinosaur of sorts himself.
Pearces role was to win the ball, but everytime he did.... BANG, the ball was knocked long to the big guys up front, and he's instilling the same mistakes into this under 21 team, they were crap, with no midfield whatsoever.
And as a utd fan, I am glad we didn't get henderson, he's s**t, and never got a kick in all 3 games, and tom cleverley who some have had the cheek to call the next paul scholes was no better.
Until england lose all these big immobile players, and introduce some low centre of gravity players in their midfield, they will always suffer
Jimmyjack (Schalke 04) 3 years ago
They was pilling the pressure on in the first half and for most of the second they just couldn't put it away. I like how czech can defend for 75mins and we can't defend for 15 funny really
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
It wasnt the defence jimmy, it was the midfield, because if your midfield can't hold the ball, all your doing is giving up possession to the other team, and going on the defensive.
Look at barca? , I wouldnt say they have a great defence, but because no one can get the ball off their midfield, very seldom do the barca defence come under any pressure, so you don't need to be that good in defence if your midfield can hold the ball
Jimmyjack (Schalke 04) 3 years ago
Yeah I guess so but still kinda ridiculous
Peteko 3 years ago
The defence was to blame in the second goal. The first one was also a matter of luck. But if you let your tournament fate to be decided in the last minutes of the last game then what do you expect.
But overall the chemistry between Jones and Smalling should be encouraging to United fans. They had all in all a good tournament
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Jones was very good through out the whole tournament. As was Smalling. That looks like the future United and England back two
This team is overrated. Henderson did not look like a 20 million player. Jones Smalling Walker and Fielding most of the tournament were the only good players for England. England needa stop playin stupid long ball football. It does not get you anywhere. Look at the top teams. They play through their midfield. They play short slick ground football. England lacked creativity in the final third. And that is what is the matter with the senior team as well. They are not creative enough
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
I think it is better for the U21 team to fail. As most of you have said the kind of football they play is prehistoric and fails in comparison to modern football. The defence as you guys have said looked great as most English defenses are but the midfield is definitely where the game was lost. This brings up the question of Wilshire and what he could have brought to the squad.

Most people think that he is a future captain in the making but he really should have been there for his team.

This is what Menezes said about Marcelo after Marcelo "faked" an injury to avoid national team duty. "For me and every Brazilian, the most important thing in football is the national team. I want all my players to feel exactly that. "
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
England never treated U21 with real interest anyway. Why do anyone harbor any expectation for them when they are deprive of their best youngsters in the land to play a youngster tourney?
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Wilshere and Caroll would have made a difference but with the team and performaces we put in, we deserved to be knocked out. During the last game I have to say most of my attention was on Rory Mcilroy dominating on the the other channel
Well Carrol would have fit perfectly to the style of football they played. Just knock it up front. He is tall and bulky. So he could easily hold up the ball and play in to an incoming winger or trequitista. Or could flick the ball on to other striker
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Sturridge was awesome though
I have to disagree. I think he was one of the average. He was not "awesome". Fielding Smalling Walker and Jones were the oustanding players in the tournie

Kick4Life - changing lives through football