Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Torres For £90m ($140m) - Should Liverpool Sell Him?
Shashank294 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Torres has scored fastest 50 league goals.... Breaking all liverpool legends' records
There are 3 things to look after:

1. Look at the price 140m$
2. Liverpool has to finish in top 4.
3. The fan opinion
Ghoster (Liverpool) 4 years ago
We need money but we need Torres more...
Vela12 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Torres is good, but he is not worth $140. I'm not sure how much that is in euros or pounds but he is not worth more than ronaldo or even messi. David Villa is way better and if he goes for about 40 million euros than torres is worth about 35ish but I'm sure some rich club like man city would pay that stupid amount
Alh064 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
$140 is a lot! I don't think that Wenger style.... He find great player for a great price. He can better players for a better price. He can buy two strikers for that much or more!
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
This is dollars now, right? They could probably get around 60 mil pounds for him. Considering his injury issues, maybe 50mil. I find it hard to believe anyone would pay 100m pounds for him.... I would really be stunned. Is he that much better than Ronnie or Kaka? I don't think so
StadeNyonnais (Liverpool) 4 years ago
There is no way liverpool will sell torres at the moment he is just to valuable to thenm, and they don't have enough other goal scoring options, except for kuyt (the worlds most underrated player by the way), torres is so dangerous in front of goal, and plays so well with gerrard and kuyt, when one of those 3 is missing you just don't see the same liverpool

So, no, they will not sell torres
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
No Haha.    140million and a double dose of crappy season for us
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Very much so do it!
Badboo (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Maybe for 500million
Ghoster (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Naaahhh....
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Haha I like how you think there Badboo, we can not sell him for any amount of money
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
If they were offered 150M definitely Liverpool will sell him. Yes, I am pretty sure about this. They have the crappiest owners in the world.
And I can't even I imagine how shitty their Liverpool's season will be if they sell Nando.
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Haha yeah. So true even though it hurts
Khaimet (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Haha have to agree on this, hope we stop this crappy s**t
Liverpool must get rid of those stupid guys.... That's the only solution.  I won't be amazed if they sell Torres!
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
$140m is much money.... But do they invest this money to bring new players or to reduce their financial gap? This is the question....
Torres is too valueable for us!
Gbherron (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
You make an incredibly overlooked point. United fans always beg Fergie to use some of that money from the Ronaldo transfer for some new forwards and midfielders, but fact is, it just isn't there. It slowly dug them out of the financial hole, which probably 80% of teams are in. Also, is it for $150mil or £150mil
Lbcguy (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I agree torres must stay liverpool better find a way to keep him
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
No, never. $140m is huge but I don't think those owners will invest it in for the team.
Selling Torres will make some other players like Gerrard etc to leave and Liverpool will become a leeds united playing in the third tier suddenly defeating Man utd in FA cup
Khaimet (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Damn that's sad! Don't worry Liverpool will be better!
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
I don't think Liverpool should sell torres at this time when the team is going bad because they need him to score goals and help Liverpool catch champions league this year...
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
They shouldn't sell him, because the team needs him, without Torres, then Liverpool will just collapse. I also read that Gerrard might be sold too if the price is right. Without them then Liverpool will no longer be a force to reckon with
Alh064 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I don't think Gerrard want to leave but them might make him! He has alot of passion for Liverpool!
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Gerrard will never leave.common don't be silly
According to Rafa, Torres could be sold next year, if they fail to get a Champions League spot, and get a good offer.

Link: soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=723236&sec=tra...

Shashank294 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
No dude rafa said if torres would leave then he would too...
Scottie (Manchester City) 4 years ago
$140m? - sounds like a job for Man City
Lool
But seriously, 0% of chance for Torres to Man City!
I disagree, if he becomes available at the end of the season, and City manage a top 4 spot, this would make City a much more inviting proposition - and as Liverpool is only down the road from City - his homelife disruption would be kept to a minimum, he may even be able to stay living in the same house.

%? I'd say 50-50
Don't think so.... Even if city finishes in Top 4, they may not be able to do so in the upcoming years. So if Torres leaves Liverpool, he'll move only to the clubs which has guaranteed champions league spot, I think!
I back my bro's comments. Don't know why, I have a very strong belief that Torres would not go to Man City or Man utd. If he is to leave, then it would be chelsea, Madrid, Barca or even AC Milan
If City finish in the top 4 this year, the upcoming years are going to produce higher finishing positions, please try and accept the inevitability that City are about to become a major force on the world stage...
Rafas response to the Man City/Torres question did not have a 0% ring about it Pragathish

Link: www.footytube.com/forums/the-guardian/rafael-benit...
Ya, I accept that Man city are becoming a big force But no guarantee that Man city will be in the top 4 next year as there is a lot of competition for that spot. Don't think Torres would take that risk joining Man city. If he leaves Liverpool, it'll be a club which has guaranteed Champions league spot, not to the team which is fighting for that spot
Well there's no guarantee that any club will finish in the top 4 - otherwise he would have left Liverpool last season
Certainly Man utd, Chelsea, Madrid, barca, Inter are some of the teams with Guaranteed Top 4(Well atleast better chance than man city).
I'm mean selecting man city is like taking a risk, Why would Torres like to do that when he has many other safer options?
Theturkishkop (Galatasaray SK) 4 years ago
This transfer can happen if Torres wants to play for City, like Alonso wanted to play for Real
'em Well I kinda him rather your.... Play somewhere else, like maybe a club more than 30 miles away
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Yes, if the spend it on the team
Pretty short and sweetBut I am sure that they won't spend it on the team
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Here comes city with there bags of gold. OR maybe out of nowhere united decide to buy him and pair him up with Rooney! (only in my dreams). Liverpool really need a decent replacement before they sell one of the best players in the world
Theturkishkop (Galatasaray SK) 4 years ago
According to me, we should not sell him. He is great striker. Every footballer has his price but he has not. Even we sell him we shall not use the money economically. Now think about it, you have $140m and want to transfer Gignac instead of Torres. Gignac 's recent worth is $30m. But when you want to transfer him, his worth will rise over $50m. Because everbody know you have $140m, you can't negotiate in this circumstances
Aeaglan (AC Milan) 4 years ago
With all due respect to everyone who said that Liverpool should hold on to Torres, I think that's a huge mistake NOT to sell him. Before passing judgment on my post & blasting it for doom, please read the remainder of my post.

First of all, I think that his talent and success has been the a major factor in Liverpool's failure! For the past few seasons, the reds have been way too dependent on him to win games. Whenever he does not perform, the entire team fails. This might seem like the reason to keep him, but in fact, that is the perfect indicator that the team should sell him.

It is clear cut that Liverpool have NO depth in their squad, not even in the first team. Take AC Milan's situation with Kaka' the past couple seasons for example. The team as a whole was under-performing because they always had in mind that Kaka' would hide their flaws. When he left, everyone whined and said that Milan would finish in the bottom half of the table. Now look what happened? Every player on that team is stepping up to his real potential. Maybe that's exactly what liverpool need right now.

Added to this, the club is reportedly in a $40mil debt. Even though that is nowhere near the debt that chelsea is in, liverpool does not have the investors to keep this team on it's feet. Selling torres would apparently offset this issue. They might be losing a legend, but they will be saving the entire club by selling him
Lol, funny. What you are thinking about our owners? Do you think they are gonna' sell Torres and invest it buying new players? They are not at all ready to spend for the club.
If we sell Torres, then other big players will follow him and get out of the club. Then Liverpool will go down as another Leeds united.
And I don't why everyone is panicked about liverpool's situation!Just a poor first-half season and nothing more than that. All these years since Torres' arrival, we are enjoying success and so we'll do in the future. Remember, last season we were able to win a lot of games even without Torres so liverpool are not completely dependent on Torres. Torres is just a striker, without service from other players of the team he cannot score goals. He is able to score a lot of goals which means that the whole team is doing well.
But Milan's condition was different. Kaka was like a talisman, he was responsible for everything that Milan achieved. But Torres isn't like that.
So I don't agree with you
Kinda agree, kinda disagree. I agree that selling Torres would make the other players to show their worth and involve in the game.
But as Rockerr mentioned above, we should consider the fact that Liverpool's owners are crap and put the whole 140 M into their pocket and buy a bad, cheap replacement for Nando. This would only make Liverpool's condition even bad.
And I don't really think that selling Torres would force the club into a 'meltdown'. After all, Torres would never leave Liverpool, so no need for worries!
Lol, what you are talking. Torres is no Totti or kaka. To win games out of nothing. He is just a striker who does his role perfectly.
Yes liverpool depend upon him but only for scoring goals like all the teams does. Since he is the lonely striker, he scores a lot of goals.
So, if Roma isn't playing well, you would sell Totti? So that they can play well?!
Vela12 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I agree with you. By selling torres the whole team will get better, but the owners would refuse to give even half of the money to the club for other players. What liverpool need to do is develope their youth more like arsenal, Arsenal might lose Fabregas with in 2 or 3 yars but they will be just fine with all the talent they are developing. More clubs should start doing that and stop getting in dept

Kick4Life - changing lives through football