Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Top 5 A Side Tips
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
Users of footytube need your help. Tomorrow night at 8pm CET I am playing in an hour long 5 a side game. This will be the first semi competitive football I've played in about three years.

As you have seen from the pictures of me around the site I am not what you would call 'fit' in any sense of the word.

So I need from you lot the top tips and tricks I can employ on the pitch to impress my new team mates and avoid a premature heart attack.

Help me footytube users your my only hope
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Drink a lot of water 2 or 3 hours before playing, so that you will not get dehydrolysed. Also don't have any heavy meals before the match.
Good luck, play well and impress your friends
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
2 large glasses of water is recomended
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I am also a footy player, just at school level.... But I am ready to trigger some suggestions!
First, follow the above steps as told by rockerr.... And on-the-pitch, just try not to beat any defender and try too much extravagenza.... Just play a simple passing game and hold the ball, long.... Remember possession is the key!Just frustrate your opponents.... And when your opposotion is frustrated, and when you are confident enough, just dribble your way!
Easy!
Good luck bro.... Have fun and impress everybody!
Axel07 (Real Madrid) 9 months ago
Counter-attack is more effective than possession

Whereas most football coaches suggest holding on to possession is the key to winning, the opposite is true for 5-a-side football. Teams that keep possession can be kept at bay by getting all four outfield players behind the ball. This often frustrates teams and causes them to lose shape as they try to break through a stubborn 5 man defence. Once possession is lost, a quick burst up the pitch can lead to a chance on goal. Counter-attack football requires discipline, but can provide great results
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I play 5 a side (indoor) about three times a week. Indoors, there are usually a subset of extra rules, like you can bounce the ball off the walls for example. Also, sometimes you can't hit it above shoulder height.

Regarding tips, just keep the game at your own pace especially if you are unfit. A basic mistake would be to sprint around for five minutes and be useless for the other 55. You might feel like you're Ronaldo in your head, but you'll probably be a lot better in defence if you aren't fit.

Hmm. What else. Use every player on the team, make the opposition run. When in doubt - boot it out!
Gbherron (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Hint: if it's has rained or is raining don't wear a coat prior to the game. In fact, find the wettest part near the pitch, and dive head first as if it were a slip-and-slide. Once you are wet, you won't hesitate to go into a tackle and get wet or stain your shirt becasue that would just be awful
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Dribbling with the ball takes a whole lot more energy than without it. So pass often. When you do decide to dribble, always keep it directly under you as 5 a side is more about ball control than anything. Never let the ball get away from you. Don't try anything fancy. Often the simple is just as impressive. Never try to do something more difficult when there is something easy at your disposal (ex. Trying to chip the keeper on one v one situations). A few cross overs always look nice but don't get carried away. Bring fruity drinks (real fruit) as well as water to drink while you are playing. Warm up, then stretch
Devang (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I would say just play simple football don't go to do anything extra ordinary and sprain your ankle or knee.... Just play one touch football keep passing the ball around make your players run for the ball you just handle your position well.... The ideal position for you according to me would be a wing back as you will get a bit space in that position to hold the ball and look for your options.... And keep an energy drink on the sideline just in case....
Hope helped
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Go in nets, no heart attacks to worry about there, plus you can keep your carry-out behind the goal incase you need liquid refreshment
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Knock the ball against the wall and run round your man the other way - simple as. There aren't any throw ins or corners in five-a-side, and that is what makes it so fun and simple. 2 Hours away now so good luck (I think I probably posted this too late ooooppslol
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
Thanks everyone for your tips, here is how it went.

Everyone turned up which is good so we had full sides. The artificial pitch was in good nick and we had the new style bigger goals that seem to be everywhere now.

Had to adjust to local rules in 'Malta' rules you get kick ins if the ball touches the wall! After 5 mins of constant stoppages that rule was abandoned.

I started in the right of defence I had drunk my water and had consumed a high carb meal a good two hours before hand.

15 minutes into the match jumped up for a header when I landed I heard a weird pop and it felt like I'd had my boot pulled off a couple of steps later I realised I had not and had done myself a bit of an injury. Not a lot of pain unless I tried to put weight on my foot or lift it up or down.

So that was me led by the sidelines until the match was over at which point I was taken to A&E where I waited for 7 hours to get it strapped some pain killers and crutches.

Still not sure what happened but I have to have it raised and iced for a few days. My career it seems was short lived
Oh right, I forgot to mention the main tip: don't destroy your ankle and be in a full leg cast for six months
What a wonderful indoor football goal.  
Charlie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Goal of the week?
[account-removed] 8 months ago
Kind of a coincidence that you had an injury right after you got all these tips. Were the "bad luck" charm

Kick4Life - changing lives through football