Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Top 10 Players In The World Right Now
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I searched around the site and didn't find a topic about this surprisingly. If there is one by all means, tell me and I will lock this one up myself Anyways the premise is obviously the best 10 players in world football in order, at this very moment, not considering if they are young or old. Just where they are right now and why they deserve to be in the list. You can bring in stats, stories, videos whatever you like, and it is a matter of opinion so people's lists will be different, but there are probably some we can agree on haha

Numero uno: Lionel Messi, I can go on and on about the kid. He proved his worth again in the super cup, he always shows up in big matches for Barcelona. The criticism is that he isn't on the same level playing for Argentina, that view can all be changed in 2014, but because this is in the here and now, it does seem to be the case that he isn't his alien self playing in the national team. This may be a little unfair considering the managers have been shite and the whole Argentinian squad has been in shambles for the last couple of years, but Messi has the capability to be their savior. He can change a game seemingly single handedly, we have seen that many times when he has come on as a sub, but football is a team sport and if you aren't the right kind of personality it is hard to lift a team by it's bootstraps. Gerrard, Zidane, Cruijff, Eusebio, Beckenbauer these are players who can put a team on their back, true leaders on the pitch. I do think Messiah has similar qualities but he has to realize them, especially if he is captain which I think he will be of both Argentina and Barcelona within a few years. All this being said he is just a sublime footballer. Love how he never dives, and the space he finds on the pitch when every one on the opposing team is trying to stop him is unbeliavable. You can use all the superlatives you like but until you watch him play a full match you won't understand. Even when you do see him play words fall short, by far in my opinion the best player in the world

One of his best displays vs arsenal scoring four goals, also against Atletico Madrid in the copa del rey in early 2009, as well as el clasico in 2007 when Madrid would go up a goal, Messi would equalize repeat, repeat. He scored hat tricks in all of these matches, but at least against Arsenal and Atletico, the performance outshone his tally

2.) Cristiano Ronaldo, as much as it pains me to put him here, he deserves it. Call him overrated if you like, when I think of him I think of Green onions & the Sandlot... "you play ball like a girl" but his talent is undeniable. He would be a nightmare to defend(not as bad as Messi though) can't get to close to him or he'll burn you, can't give him too much space because he can hit it from 40 yards and he's difficult to mark in the box because of his height and leap. Seemingly he has all the tools, can shoot with both feet, dribbling capability, better vision than most would expect, score from dead balls, pace, quickness agility and confidence in bundles which is important in football. Sometimes he is over confident though, shoots way too much, does little tricks that get him no where, and doesn't get enough assists or involve his teammates and many of his goals are tap ins(a goals a goal and everyone scores tap ins if they have any footballing sense). His biggest short coming is disappearing in big games though, great players live for big games, he seems to hide or just fall short. Used to dive a lot but my respect for him has grown since coming to Madrid for not diving as much, though he will wine about things every now and again. Overall I can't really put any one else in the second spot because he is the second best player in the world.... Far behind little Lio

3.) Xavi Hernandez there is no one I can really compare him to in the modern game, I guess Fabregas but no where near the same class as Xavi in my eyes. He is like an engine he makes everything run at Barcelona and with Spain, the top two teams at club and international level in the world. He doesn't score loads of goals, or even get a unheard of amount of assists, he just never loses the ball and every pass is meticulously placed, perfect weight be it a through ball or a simple back pass. He is supposed to be similar or the successor to Guardiola but I never really saw Pep play, if he is on the same level of Xavi he was a world beater to be sure. Many Barcelona fans think or thought he should have won the balon d'or over Messi in 2010, that is a testament to his influence and ability. The World Cup probably isn't too bad to have won though Still has plenty of years in him, probably will become captain when Puyol retires(if that ever happens) than pass it on to Messi or Cesc himself a year or two later.

4.) Nemanja Vidic the guy is just a beast, Messi seems to get the best of him but what defender doesn't he get the best of. He has been the leader of United's back line for some years now, and he leads it well. Definitely one of the best defenders in the world, and in my opinion the best. I have a biased for attackers, because I like to attack and to watch attackers, but I love a good tackle as much as the next man. Especially making a slide tackle, feels fantastic when you go through the ball and send your opponent flying. Vidic is a really good tackler, but it's his positioning and awareness that sets him apart in my mind. He always knows where to be it seems and he is a rock in every fixture United is in. There are some big boys in the prem trying to score goals, but Vidic always seems to win any set piece within ten feet of him as well as putting some headers in at the other end. I really don't like the guy but he can play and I have to give credit where it's due. I put Carles Puyol in this spot in basically the same list over in the Cristiano Ronaldo: than and now, great topic by the way. But I think Vidic is a little better since Carles is getting up there so much in years.

5.) Arjen Robben, Robben has been up there around the best attackers in the game for many years, but really has come into his own in his time with Bayern Munchen scoring magic goals and playing superbly in big matches. He was also one of the best players both in the Euro 2008 and WC 2010, even not being fully fit for South Africa. Maybe he should have put a few chances away in the final and the Dutch could have finally got their hands on the trophy but it wasn't meant to be. He is a majestic player though, great to watch and always a live wire down the wings, cutting inside in classic Dutch style onto his left from the right side similar to a little Argentine in function but quite different in fashion and practice of the technique. Yes his right foot doesn't even exist, but it doesn't need to. Because of his baldness I always think he is older, but he is only 27 and in his football prime and will be a big player on the world scene for years to come. Injuries have been a problem for him like many great players, but when he is fit... Look out.

6.) Carles Puyol, my brother calls him the death machine.... I know I would be terrified to run at him with the ball at my feet. All the hair, once he makes a tackle you can't see anything except for greasy sweaty hair haha. He is one of the best defenders of his generation though, a real rock in defence. And a exceptional leader to boot, always working hard, taking names and kicking ass. Spain's defensive record last summer is all you need to prove Carles is one of the best defenders to have graced a football pitch in a long time. Not to mention Barca's dominance in the footballing world over the last 5 years or so, he has been captain for the majority of that period. He's getting up there in years but he will still be a force for some time to come.

7.) Sammy Eto'o one of my very favorite players to watch. Always a threat, I wanted him to come to England this season but it looks like he is going somewhere in Russia. Such a force on the ball and in front of the net. Consistently has been one of, if not the best striker in world football for a long time. Winner of three Champions League trophies, scoring in two finals with Barcelona, just an immense footballer. Definitely one of the best finishers I have ever seen, full of skill, strength, pace and determination. On his day he is just about unstoppable, a special special player. Clinical if your modest, deadly if your realistic. Never really left his mark on a world cup, but he's got an Olympic gold medal and is the all time leading scorer in the African Cup of Nations

8.)Wayne Rooney when he is on form he is a great footballer. And one thing about Rooney is he always always wants to win. I could see him getting into a pick up game on the street with some kids and making a horrendous challenge on won of them because they took the ball off him. A fierce competitor and a born goal scorer. Ferguson has also been using him in a more withdrawn role recently and he has done well for his club. It's not like I don't like the guy... I hate him haha, but he can play and I got to give him his dues. And he is a good footballer, anyone that throws a bicycle like that, off their shin, no less which makes it more special it just shows he threw it perfectly, can play football.

9.) Luis Suarez, he will be climbing this list very rapidly in the next year or two. One of the most underrated footballers in the world for a long time playing at Ajax, he scored 49 goals in one season two years ago. Now he is at Liverpool and shining on the world stage. Every time he is on the pitch you know something is going to happen, his movement is top draw and he is electric when he is on the ball. Premier league defenders will be scared to face Liverpool this season because of Suarez, immense talent. He can set up goals as well as score em, his presence go well beyond statistics though. He gives Liverpool that edge a different element, an element of greatness

10.) Andres Iniesta, I know there are a lot of Barca and Spanish players on this list, but they are all deserving of it, Iniesta especially, he may not get the accolades and praise some of his teammates and compatriots do but what a player. He reminds me a bit of Zidane at times, just Spanish, or Enzo Francescoli watching footage of him, who Zidane idolized. Very smooth on the ball, yet deceptively quick, sets up his teammates beautifully and can score himself. Touch, vision, class Andres has it all, and he loves scoring big goals. When I watch him as well as Messiah I usually end up using one adjective, dirty

Honorable mention in no particular order: Steven Gerrard, Wesley Sneijder, Bastian Schweinstieger, Michael Essien, Didier Drogba, Kun Aguero, Mat Hummels, Kaka, John Terry, Stevan Jovetic, Alexander Pato, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ozil, David Villa, Ashley Cole, Thomas Vermaelen, Robin Van Persie, Dani Alves, Maicon, Marko Marin, Eden Hazard, Mario Gotze, Franck Ribery, Chicharito, David Silva, Fabregas, Nasri, Lampard, Gareth Bale, Baines, Andrea Pirlo, Landon Donovan, Dempsey, Giuseppe Rossi, David Luiz, Asamoah Gyan, Rafael van der Vaart this could go on and on, hopefully there are no obvious omitions.

Young players who may be there in a few years: Martin Kelly, Neymar(think he is hugely overrated), Raheem Sterling, Cleverly(sp?), Danny Welbeck, Daniel Sturridge, Thiago, Pedro(don't think he's quite there) Coutinho, Phil Jones, there are probably bunches of these I am leaving out.

Critique it, comment on it, but please enjoy it. Cheers

P.S. This was all done with concern to position players, a top 10 goalkeepers thread already exists
Footy4Torres (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Apart from puyol I agree with the rest
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I would have just added one :- secret weapon for liverpool....

How about having lucas, he was the busiest tackler last whole season and already having a blast this season, 22 tackles with 68% of success ratio and top tackler this season already, isn't that great he has been playing continuously he hardly ever gets injured....

He needs some appreciation....

Apart from that most of name have been mentioned....
Lucas Leiva has been class for us for quite a while now. It speaks to his character that he overcame so much adversity and now the LIverpool faithful love him. He has been a rock this season as he was all of last season, I don't think he is very highly rated outside of Liverpool circles but we know how good he is

Worth an honorable mention, but there are so many players that are haha
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Nice post.

I am not going to go into depth like you did but I'll try and list the players for me.

1. Lionel Messi - Club level there isn't anything more to say about him. As a professional he is as model of a player as can be. The guy just plays on and you can tell he enjoys every moment and every touch of the ball. His international form is also under rated. Just because Argentina has been underperforming it shouldn't take away from his accomplishments. With Argentina there is absolutely no one who is able to play this playmaker type role and Messi has had to adopt this role for himself as it is absolutely vital. If Riquelme was still around and/or Pastore and Banega could replicate their club form Argentina would be a different story but they lack a key link between the midfield and the attack

2. Xavi Hernandez - The man has been playing the highest level for years but it took a few trophies for the world to take notice. He was the best player for Spain in their Euro 08 success and a key player in their WC success as well.

3. Cristiano Ronaldo - Hate the guy but the numbers he puts up is something which he puts up is only really comparable to Messi. If anyone is going to argue that Messi lacks international form then Ronaldo shouldn't be anywhere in the conversation as his international form is even worse than that of Messi. Another thing about Ronaldo is that he is far from a big game player and goes anonymous far too often.

4. Andres Iniesta - The man doesn't have stats anywhere close to other players but he is one of the most consistent performers in the world and continues to improve his game. One of the greatest things about him is that he can play in so many different positions and shine in every single one of them. With Spain and Barcelona we have seen him play his regular role beside Xavi, he has filled in for Xavi, and has played on both flanks. The ability of Iniesta to make space out of the smallest of spaces is amazing. The only flaw I can think of with Iniesta is that he doesn't shoot the ball enough. If he were to shoot the ball more often he would be probably put up some great midfield scoring numbers.

5. Mesut Ozil - WC 2010 was his coming out part although it was earlier when he, Marin, and Muller destroyed the UEFA youth competition, I know that is when these 3 names came to prominence. He did amazing at the WC and in his debut season with Madrid was also one of the best players. Isn't really much to say about Mesut except that his vision is exceptional, the same can be said about his control, speed and vision. This kid has another decade at the top of world football.

6. Nemanja Vidic - I think many people can argue that he may be one of SAF's best bargains I believe he signed for United for a measly 7 million and now is the worlds best defender. He has everything which you would use to describe a great defender. Not only is he a great defender he is a great leader and organizes the United defence almost to a science.

I am getting pretty tired so I'll quickly list the last 4 players.

7. Manuel Neuer - Neuer (with the help of Farfan and Raul) did the unspeakable and brought team near the bottom of their league table to the semi finals of the Champions League. While on their champions league adventure they faced defending champions Inter Milan and humiliated them at home thanks to these 3 players I mentioned above. The star those was easily Neuer and his goalkeeping exploits.

8. Mats Hummels - Just to go along with the defensive choices I may as well mention Hummels who has proved himself to be one of the best defenders in the world for a few years. He will take the title as the worlds best defender sooner rather than later. BVB's defensive record speaks a lot about Hummels but it should speak a lot for his defensive partner who makes a wrong foot as often as Hummels. What makes Hummels better though is his hair. Hands down.

9.... And 10.... Can't think of who I'd order right now but some names to think about:

Rooney, Kompany, Pique, Dani Alves, Busquets, Cavani, Suarez, Aguero, Villa, Mario Gomez, Ibrahimovic, Sneijder, Eto'o, Thiago Silva, Falcao, Gotze, Tevez, Alexis Sanchez, Guiseppe Rossi.

Talking about young players.... Got to say Donnchadh's is very EPL biased.

Names which I would put into the fold are players like Welbeck, Romeu, Lukaku, Ganso, Neymar, Thiago, Bojan, Montoya, Georginio Wijnaldum, Luc Castaignos. Easily a ton more but I'm not very educated on the Bundesliga and Serie A rising stars.

Oh.... And about Pedro, he isn't considered a young player anymore but he is easily one of the top forwards in the game. One thing which seems to have been somewhat lost in the modern forward is the ability to finish with both feet. Pedro is one of the few players who can still do that, that is a reason why he is a huge threat and an important member of the Barca team
Nice bud thanks for posting. I totally agree with you about my youngsters being very epl biased, I just don't know enough about other leagues and their young players like I do the EPL. Hopefully some other people can come in and list a bunch of good young players from around the world. Again like I said it's all subjective so and a matter of opinion with things like this, but that's what makes it interesting, there is nothing standardized about it.

On Pedro, I think players like him and Thomas Muller they still have so much where they will improve, and still are quite young. Pedro is a big player now it seems, and Muller was one of the best at the WC but c'est la vie I will give them another year or two before considering them up there with the best of the best. Sammy Eto'o can finish with both feet pretty well, I agree that some players don't really have that quality anymore, and to be fair Pedro has scored some huge goals, but I will give him time. I should probably move Mario Gotze into the younger territory as well.

One thing I forgot to mention with this post is how very quickly these lists can change. A year or two ago I probably would have had maybe a Fernando Torres in the list or Ricky Kaka, definitely wouldn't have had Luis Suarez though I may have listed him in honorables because I have always been a fan of his. I don't think Ozil would have been on TBS list a while ago, so it's a pretty interesting subject for that reason.

Obvious omitions from my honorables list, I did this pretty late last night, and did this and the young players right quick Carlitos Tevez, Diego Forlan, Fernando Torres, Falcao, Ryan Giggs(he's still got it) Daniel Agger, Thiago Silva, Alexis Sanchez
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
1. Heskey - Just kidding....

1. Messi - Nuff Said. Racks in assist after assist, goal after goal and is just not in the same Dimension as everyone else.... Sending a million defenders after him won't help, He is literally untouchable,

2. Ronaldo - The machine, bordering the complete player title. Big, Fast, Good at finishing, good at assisting (at times), Its just his diving, not appearing at big games, and taking a large number of shots and not crossing the ball as much, that stops him from taking no. 1, alot of reasons, this is why Messi is one, and further from the portugese than technical ability dictates.

3. Xavi - The greatest playmaker hands down, is completely in-sync with everything on the picth and has great pin-point passing.

4. Sneijder - Another playmaker? 2010 shown why Wesley is boss, Leading Holland to WC Final, and Inter to a treble, showed why, Great passing, vision, and has a killer shot. When Wesly came back, he and Eto'o lead Inter's charge to 2nd.

5. Gerrard - As quoted by zidane "Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Lionel Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be, ". Also a complete package, great finisher, incredible work rate, and the engine, despite Liverpool average league form over the years (by their previously ridculous standards) he has lead the reds to many memorable cup and european triumphs, alot of which Liverpool could not have done tbh, forget Aqulani, Meireless, this guy will steal the show again when he returns, and I for one, cannot wait for the challenge to contain him (A bit too romantic this post no? He would have place 2nd or 3rd if it werent for recent injuries....)

6. Tevez - This guys dictionary doesn't have loyalty in it, just Money in its place. Despite this, he is one of the most complete forwards around, and City could have waved good bye to last years 3rd place and FA Cup. Played jolly at Utd forming the "holy trinity"

7. Ibra - Erm, The league title follows him where evere he goes, haha. Was so integral to all of his clubs in securing their titles, even Barca, scoring close to Villa's amount of goals.

8. Robben - He maybe the glass winger, but this guy is on top of the world when not in hospital, Bayern are not the same w/out him. One of the greatest wingers that I have seen in my short football time....

9. Rooney - Ahh, Good Ol Shrek, Assists, Goals, after a horrid period after his disastrous world cup, he has finally struck gold and outta' of all the? In Utd, this guy is solid....

10. Vidic - Just so I can have a defender in the top 10. Haha, the foundation, the solid foundation, and you can't break him, so you can't break the foundation, thus can't break Utd....

Honourable mentions: Drogba, Lampard, Torres, John Terry, Suarez, Carra, Agger, Hernandez, Nani (Probably 11th or 12th), Evra, Fabregas, Nasri, Wilshere, Modric, Aguero, Falcao, Hulk, Moutinho, Forlan, Rossi, Llorente, Mata, Pato, RVP, Eto'o (Also 11th/12th), Di Natale, Sanchez, Cavani, Hamsik, Lavezzi, Di Maria, Ozil, Alonso, Benzema, Higuain, Dani Alves, Villa, Abidal, Pedro, A. Young, Iniesta, Busqets, Pique, Puyol, Ribery, Schweinsteiger, Gotze, Hummels, Subotic, Giggs, Ferdinand, Carvahlo, Kompany, Gomez, Vermaelen, arghh, what the heck, every can join in

Phew, I'll do youngins later....

Phil Jones, Wilshere (?), Pedro (?), Bojan (?), Alcantara, Morata, McEachran, Sturridge (?), Cleverly, Those Liverpool fullbacks, Smalling, Oriol, Lukaku, Hazard (?), Pastore (?), Neymar (agreed with Duncan, overrated kid of the future), Pogba, Welbeck, Frimpong (I saw him in reserves and he was boss)

Yeah I had a (?) on some of them, on whether they are a youth talent or a honourable mention....
AY! Gerrard get in there haha, kudos for having him on your list man Certainly a few years ago he would have topped my list, or been very close to the top. He was consistently one of the best and most complete players in the world from 2005 to 2008/9, and if we are talking about intangibles there is no one who really approaches Gerrard. I have a feeling he will have a tremendous season and I can't wait to watch him and Suarez tear apart opponents. Stevie is also extremely versatile, can play DM, true center mid, support the striker, play on the wing, play up top, and Liverpool fans will remember his heroics at right back in Instanbul. One of my idols and heroes and one of the greatest footballers of his generation. And the fact that you think he is still top 10, I am just stoked about that. I think there are some players that have surpassed him though with his recent injuries, and this rise in top class center midfielders in the world. Sneijder, Schweinstieger, Fabregas have all become superstars in recent years. They are all different players, but me and Jeroen had this discussion, he said props for admitting that those players now have a bit of an edge over Stevie, I know he is one of your idols. So I love the guy and he is still world class and will rescue points for us and hopefully lift the prem de la prem trophy in the very near future, but I don't know if I would place him in the top 10 anymore.

Aside from that, great list Ayyam good stuff
Steveex (Borussia Dortmund) 2 years ago
Gerrard
Götze
Suarez
Carragher
Barrios
And some more Liverpool and Dortmund players, muahaha
I don't care about Messi or Ronaldo, don't judge me!

Ok ok, rooney and Robben but that's it! (and Xabi Alonso)
Haha
Haha
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 2 years ago
Cesc Fabregas- he will soon get much more notice now that he's at Barcelona. However I think its not because his ability is improving but just the wide amount of attention Barcelona attract and are a club who have the world watching them. Alson the freedom that barca allow their players to roam arround the pitch will mean Fab can score more goals and if he can outshine the likes of iniesta or Xavi then he would be considered one of the best in the world, which depends on consistancy with the high expectations of such clubs as Barca and Madrid
Nice "list" Expand brah, and yes I agree that Fabregas will get more recognition at Barca, you can see it now with their fans saying "We don't need him we got Thiago" even though Thiago is supposed to replace Iniesta as AM and Fabregas a deep -playmaker
Hill (Arsenal) 2 years ago
1. Messi: no explanation necessary
2. [C.] Ronaldo: no explanation necessary
3. Xavi: no explanation necessary
4. Iniesta: no explanation necessary
5. David Silva: He really runs City with his excellent vision and incisive passes
6. Suarez: Look at how much better Liverpool is with him on the pitch than they are with him off it. That speaks volumes about a player.
7. Cesc: One of the best midfielders in the world, hands down. He isn't a replacement for Xavi but a player who will get significant playing time with Xavi and Iniesta.
8. Tevez: I can't say enough about his work rate. He is what ALL strikers should aspire to be, regardless of their ability.
9. Vidic
10. Yaya Toure: no one else mentioned him, but I have a great respect for him. He is strong, fast, great foot skills, excellent vision, and is a hammer in the midfield. He really adds something to the City team. I love watching their games, and seeing Toure spring from the back and make his driving runs forward. For me, he is an underrated player on a team that includes Aguero, Tevez, Silva, Nasri, Dzeko, Balotelli, etc
Good shout on Yaya Hill, he was hugely underrated at Barca and has finally got a lot of recognition at City. My brother and I loved him at Barca, of course now that he plays for City we aren't such big of fans haha he is class though and definitely deserves a shout
I guess that because towards the later stages of his season he played a more advanced role

Kick4Life - changing lives through football