Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Top 10 Classic Volleys
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
What are your favorite 10 volleys of all time? And who do you think is the best player in the world currently at striking the ball on the volley? Here are my top 10.

10.)Didier Drogba, wonderful left-footed volley, got to tip my hat to him even if it was against my favorite club. One of the more recent ones.

9.)Tony Yeboah, again against Liverpool

8.)Fernando Torres vs. Blackburn, the most recent, incredible control off the chest, and the volley is world class

7.)The King, Eric Cantona

6.)Maxi Rodriquez vs. Mexico, 2006 world cup, sublime, got to love the announcer

5.)Marco Van Basten, Euros 1988 real classic vs USSR, I love the reaction of the manager haha

4.)Steven Gerrard vs. Middlesbrough, one of my all time favorites, an absolute screamer.

3.)Zinedine Zidane, super Zizou champions league final 2002, the guy on the pa is classy

2.)Robin Van Persie vs. Charlton one of the greatest strikes I have ever seen, hard not to make this number one

1.)Paolo Di Canio, incredible technique, perfect timing, classic goal

Honorable mention

Fernando Torres with Atletico Madrid

Sorry for the terrible quality

Glenn Hoddle Spurs vs. Manchester United

Joe Cole, England vs. Sweden, tremendous volley the goalie almost managed to save it

I think Rooney is one of the best in the world currently at volleying the ball, also Huntelaar is world class, Ibrahimovic, when he catches it can unleash wicked volleys, but as far as technique I think Gerrard is the best. His goal against Burnley, I believe it was, this season won the game for us and was taken brilliantly.

Would love to know your opinion and input
Derby22 (Derby County) 5 years ago
The volley by gerrard was amazing!
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
All of them were amazing but I will put this first instead of Di Canios
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Even though it was against Liverpool, Tony Yeboahs goal was really incredible and I remember it well. The funny thing is he scored two or three like that in successive weeks and everyone started to think he was something really special
The one he scored against Wimbledon is incredible as well, great control and thunderous strike off the crossbar. It seems like we(Liverpool) have had some amazing volleys scored against us. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that Cantona goal against Liverpool as well? I know the volley he scored in the final of the FA cup was against us
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Good thread
They are all great volleys
I'm trying to think of another that you could add....
This?

Dunno who scored this one but it's sick!

Both classic Yamsy, thanks. Of course there is the infamous one by Henry where he flicks it up to himself and volleys it perfectly into the top corner. Another one that is pretty obvious is Rooney vs. Newcastle, such a powerful hit. One that happened more recently is Bentley vs. Arsenal, it was from miles out and Almunia had no chance of keeping it out
Yes sir
I'm right on it
Henry

Rooney

Bentley

You were on it quick weren't you haha. Rooney's is classy, take a bow son hahaha
Salt (Aston Villa) 5 years ago
The second video was of Gaizka Mendieta scoring for Valencia,
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I will never forget that henry volley. Brilliant goal
Franboy (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Very good selection, I wanted to henry and bentley. Not need you did it. Good work
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Ramirari as usual great Job!
My top ten would have been a little different maybe but you put the best and the most incredible and origibal volley's !
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Yamsy weel done too !  I think we can add more of henry's volley on that topic !
Thanks a lot Amayel, I appreciate it. Merci beaucoup
Ibra

Guily vs AC Milan

Ade vs Spurs

Terrific Yamsy, that one by Ibrahimovic is one of my favorites, incredible goal, isn't he supposed to be right footed? Haha. It reminds me of the one Maradona scored like that, only Maradona's is more finesse and accuracy whereas Ibra's is more sheer power.

When I think of Giuly I think of the classic scissor goal he scored when he was with AS Monaco, I'll try and find it on youtube. That one is timed to perfection though, great ball by Ronaldinho.

And I remember watching that one by Adebayor top class that is.

Giuly with fantastic technique, great ball by Jerome Rothen

I always liked Guily, where is he now? PSG?
Franboy (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Yess guily play for psg since 2 years. I like his style too
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Tugay

Tugay

Scholes

Scholes

Very nice goals! I like how the announcer keeps calling Scholes the "little man" lol
Zach (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I gotta' say that Scholes claims the title of best volley-er because he has been doing it consistently for years. The Giggs/Beckham corner kick to Scholes for the volley is legendary
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Scholes? Rooney? Johnson - how could anyone forget the clinical goal of the season, left footed right back from 25 yards! I think Joe Cole was certainly an honourable mention as well. The list is good though and everyone else who has posted a clip of a volley on here you are right. Obviously, you can't include everybody because it is only top 10 so I'll say it is a good thread And just so you know, that classical volley from the corner is Gaizka Mendieta, I think Yamsy wanted to know didn't you? And we can't forget Henry's flick, turn, goal because I was going to mention it. Yamsy's posted the vid now. It was amazing. There have been so many good volleys, too many to mention!
Scholes has had some crackers, same with Rooney. I did almost forget about the one Johnson scored last year, superb volley, and good shout Yogan
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago

Every time I see it I am speechless: What was he thinking to try from there, and the ball never touched the ground under his control, from twenty-five yards out, with his left foot?! It was absolutely incredible. It just makes me feel good when I see that goal, it deserved goal of the season.... Just exceptional - and he's a right back!
The goalie doesn't even move, sublime. Such power in the strike too
Pragathish (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Rooneys one hell of a kick against newcastle!OMG!    
Oh yes it is a classic, good enough to be on hear twice haha
Charrua74 (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Great list. The Van Basten volley is one of my favouirite goals of all time.Here are a few others to check out.

Dario Rodriguez golaso against Denmark in the 2002 World Cup. From the corner the ball does not touch the ground until the keeper has to pick out from the net.

Diego Forlan gol against Senegal

Gus Poyet volley against Sunderland. The scoop pass by Zola is pure class.

Fantastico! I tried to find the Poyet goal but I had forgot how to spell his name, Zola absolute class like you said. The other two are great as well thanks for the contribution
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Maradona

Quagliarella

Mascara

Lucho Gonzalez

Lucho's goal is a thunderbolt
Great work Incuteration, that Maradona goal is the one I was talking about when I was comparing it to the similar strike by Ibrahimovic, classic goal. The others are incredible as well, I would never think to shoot from that sort of range, especially on the volley. Lucho's goal is great too, I remember watching that one, who were Porto playing in that match?
It was against Hamburg
Thanks man, I would have never figure that out. You changed your pic, nice! Is that Arteta? He is a classy player, I have always been a big fan of him and Timmy Cahill on the same pitch, playing together
Yeah, that's Arteta. One of the guys that inspired me the most as Everton fan. I've been stucking with that Moyes picture for like 3 months and I needed a change
Righteous. Has Arteta been injured for a while, or is he back in the side?
He's still injured, until for like later part of this year? About Nov to Dec
I see, you will be very strong with him coming back healthy
Queudrue    
   Best volley ever
Oh no, haha. What was he trying to do there? Sometimes I wonder what is going through the minds of these defenders on own goals like that
A few of the great moments i've had the pleasure of having as a chelsea fan.

Drogba

Essien (this moment was of course ruined 80 minutes later)

And of course our fearless leader John Terry

All very nice, Essien's is an absolute thunder bolt isn't it. John Terry is ninja
I loved mourinho's response to drogba's goal lol
He does have a lot of passion, you have to give him that fugging hilarious Mourinho
I'm quite surprised I havent seen any matthiew le tissier yet.

There are many more that I couldn't find such as the others he scored against wimbledon and newcastle and the goal he scored against arsenal. Then of course there is shearer

Oh! Matthew Le Tissier is a legend, love the man. The Shearer goal is classic of course, thank you
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 5 years ago
Awesome thread! I watch these guys do this at top speed and then do it with such power and precision.... It is mindblowing.... Thanks for the thread Rari!
No, thank you ReidScott! Haha. Awesome picture by the way
Zishan07 (AC Milan) 5 years ago
These are just epic. Maxi's from '06 and van Basten's from '88 are sublime, and Zizou's from '02 is probably the greatest volley ever, or at least the most technically difficult
I've also realised that no-one has yet mentioned Berbatov. Crazy stuff.

I don't know what your post has to do with volleys but as far as technically gifted footballers.... Berbatov is def one of the best in the world at the moment. As a spurs supporter I definately miss him. I don't think if we will ever replace him. Pure class
I just assumed that if I picked any random video from YouTube with Berbatov in the title, it would contain any number of his insanely epic volleys. I was wrong in my assumption. Apologies Charrua. Still, my point remains the same; Berbatov makes volleys look easy. [They're not by the way. Not in the slightest. ]
Not about volleys but it is a great video with fresh beats I'll put up my favorite Berba volley, it was against Middlesbrough

Kick4Life - changing lives through football