Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Greatest Touch
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Being a huge Messi fan myself, and seeing 3 of his goals as top 5 goals of the week on footytube, I was both proud and amazed at little Leo. I began to wonder if any player in the world has the technique, skill and quick feet comparable to his. Several others are great, but I couldn't think of anyone quite like him that still plays.

So I dug a little deeper in my football brain, and thought of one of the players that made me love football so ridiculously much. His skill, cunning and trickery was like witchcraft at times, it would leave defenders desperate and viewers baffled. And although Messi is a class apart, I like to think he learned a thing or two from this master. This master of Holland, the non-flying Dutchman, the Iceman, God.

He was named after Scotland's greatest player, Denis Law, and fulfilled his destiny more than his parents could have hoped for. Here's a tribute to my favourite player of the 90's, the player that must have inspired young Messi as well:

Which player is your favourite, or who do you consider to have the greatest touch in the game, ever?
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I'm not saying messi is the best in the world, but no one comes near him when it comes to dribbling the ball around players, his skill is fantastic, he's like a slalom skier.... Lol.
Ronaldos more upright and rigid, and powerful, with a gifted free kick in his locker, and a great goal scorer, I don't think its fair to compare the two, I'm much happier enjoying what both players bring to the game, and then theres wayne rooney, different to both of them, and brilliant in his own right, he reminds me of the german legend gerd muller, a tank with skill. Your heading is the greatest touch, and on touch alone, I would have ton say eric cantona is right up there, his first touch was magic, I know your looking at present day players, and first touch, berbatov comes to mind, he has a sublime first touch, no matter what anyone thinks of him.

Ah, Müller, der Bomber. Actually what I know from him is that he had very little technique but an exquisite shot, header and arguably was the greatest striker positioning-wise ever. He was more of an Inzaghi with power
He was a poacher, with the stature of rooney, and hard to shift off the ball.
But none compares to george best.
He wasnt given that surname for nothing.... Lol. Imo
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Can't forget Zidane in a topic like this
Good one as well ant, its easy to forget some players
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Maradona would be my top choice for touch. Impeccable!
Mauijim (Manchester United) 4 years ago
The more I watch and the more I learn about Messi, the more I like him. Humble, dedicated, gifted footballer. Truly hope he has a great World Cup and reaches that next level
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Greatest touch? Ronaldinho, without a doubt
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yea for sure. Ronaldinho for all over body, best i've ever seen but a long shot. Best for waist down would be berbatov for me, his touch is incredible
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Ill go with berba, the way he controls the ball with his back heel stuck stuck in the air. He really, makes it look easy
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
As well, if you watch Man Utd games you can see the master. Some of his bring downs are spectacular
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Ronaldinho anyday. Regular watcher of Serie A may know this. He may have lost his speed but his touch wow just Awesome, no one can come near him.
In EpL, it has to be Berba I think.
Some may cringe or laugh, but I think peter crouch has a deft touch for a big lad, quite surprising really when you think of it.
Not in the class of the others mentioned, but still worth a mention all the same
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Right, his touch is good but nowhere near the best
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
Roberto Baggio had amazing skills, he belongs among greatest talents world has ever seen.

Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Great topic. When I think of the greatest touch ever, 2 players spring to mind. The first one is, obviously, Ronaldinho. The second is Zinedine Zidane. Both players had an incredible turn of pace and a beautifully, unique way of controlling the ball. First I'll focus on Ronaldinho.

When I saw that video of Dennis Bergkamp, Ronaldinho immediately made a mark in my head of who I should choose. If you have seen the way he controls it, runs with it, looks around and shimmy-shakes with the ball, you will see it is nearly identical to Bergkamp. Great players are made in this way. Although he can't neccesarily be called a striker, he scores goals like a legend. And has an unending list of tricks up his sleeve.

And Zinedine Zidane. He was the master of touch, skill and control. He scored goals and he bamboozled defenders. He played long passes, short passes, and dummy passes. He did everything you want from a footballer, including scoring one of the best goals ever!

I'm glad we can agree on something then Yogan. I admired Zidane enourmously, but I loved Dinho (and still do) because he was the personification of footballing playfulness, beauty and flair. The fact that Madrid fans are applauding when he scores the 3rd goal in the 0-3 victory says it all: every true football fan has to admire his skill, his cheekiness and his tricks
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I'm always saying this, but ryan giggs

Video speaks for itself. Just watch the guy sometime
Did you know Giggs was Messi's idol when he was younger? And I think he was Ronaldinho's too
Mauijim (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Ahhhh. Giggsy. True legend. I will weep when he retires. Thanks for the post Riggs. Brought back a lot of great memories
And best was giggsys.... Lol
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Del piero and kaka also idolize giggsy
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
What about the flying dutch man called Robin "Rockin' Robin" Van Persie?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football