Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Best Partnerships In Football Currently
LumpOfCelery (Socceroos) 3 years ago
In the center? Here are my opininons, wbu guys?

In defence the current best CB Duo is Ferdinand and Vidic
In midfield its Xavi and Iniesta
In attack its Messi and Villa

I think Luiz and Terry could be the next big CB duo next season. Nasri and Fabregas are also good partnerships. Rooney and Berba are good shouts.

And what about in all time?
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
In General:

Defence
Cannavaro~. Nesta (Italy)
Ferdinand~. Vidic (Man. UTD)
Desailly~. Blanc (France)
Heinze~. Pochettino (PSG)
Lucio~. Samuel (Inter)
Subotic~. Hummels (Dortmund)
Keown~. Campbell (Arsenal)
Stam~. F. De BOER (Holland)

Midfield
Xavi~. Iniesta (Barca)
Kaka~. Seedorf (Milan)
Nasri~. Fabregas (Arsenal)
Ballack~. Schweinsteiger (Germany)
Keane~. BUTT (Man. UTD)

Attack
Yorke~. COLE (Man. UTD)
Inzaghi~. DEL piero (Juve)
Kalou~. KUYT (Feyenoord)
Forlan~. Suarez (Uruguay)
Pedro~. Messi~. Villa (Barca)
Tristan~. Makkay (Deportivo)
Diouf~. Camara (Senegal)
Ronaldo~. Romario (Brazil)
Kewell~. Viduka (Australia. Leeds)
Hartson~. Larsson (Celtic)

We could also mention partnerships between playmakers and strkers (gerrard-torres) (becks-yokre/cole)...
Nkrumah (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Heinze is playing for Marseille
I just put old and current best partneships together. Heinze used to play for PSG, but now with Marseille, his partnership with S. Diawara is kinda "ok" while Mbia is injured.
Right now the best strikers partnership in the french Ligue 1 is: Gameiro_Amalfitano (lorient)
LumpOfCelery (Socceroos) 3 years ago
You legend mate, Kewell and Viduka had one of the finest partnerships ever. Nice to see
Peteko 3 years ago
Zlatan, I am impressed
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
CB duo aka called the Impassable gate:    Nesta-Silva
Nesta has been pretty consistent as a solid center back so far during his career. One of the best Serie A defenders over the past 10 years. He hasn't scored many goals, but his positionning and anticipation are top class.
Thiago Silva is a rock too. On top of that he's got skills and can play in midfield and score goals.
They both are complimentary defenders > il Catenaccio Rossonerro!
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Hahaha
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
International Partnerships:

Nesta-Canavarro (ITA)
Ronaldo-Rivaldo (BRA)
Torres-Villa (SPA)
Xavi-Iniesta (SPA)
Totti-Del Piero (ITA)
Trezeguet-Henry (FRA)
Sneijder-Robben (NED)
Makalele-Zidane (FRA)
Figo-Rui Costa-Deco----I had to paut 3 of them becuase they were just amazing.
And just for the hell of it, I'll put Pele-Garrincha (BRA)

For Club:

Raul-Ronaldo (are. Madrid)
Marquez-Puyol (Barca)
Ronaldinho-Deco (Barca)
Lucio-Samuel (Inter)
Nesta-Maldini (Milan)
Figo-Zidane (are. Madrid)
Ljunberg-Pires (Arsenal)
Terry-Carvalho (Chelsea)
V. Basten-Guilit-Rijkaard (Milan)
Xavi-Iniesta (Barca)

FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I guess if we are talking about older partnerships we could include Shearer and Sutton. They didn't play at the same club for that many years but they were a deadly duo when together and helped Blackburn win the league. Henry and Bergkamp were also very good
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
SAS were unbelievable!
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
What about aguero and forlan?
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Have-beens. This year they're just two players in an average team
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
The best central defensive pair is IMO Hummels-Subotic without a shred of doubt. Together they're able to stop even the best attacking force, and if they would have world-class wing backs, midfielders and a GK around them, they would be recognised as the best by everyone for sure. Hummels is a player that can function extremely well in any team I think: very much like a player the likes of Piqué or Luiz.
Puyol-Piqué was great the last seasons, but Puyol's been injured, and Piqué distracted with hot celebrities.

As for midfield magic: the duo (trio) Xavi-Iniesta(-Busquets) gets gold no doubt, but the second prize is a difficult one. Last year it probably was Essien-Lampard for their compatibility, this year I was thinking of Fàbregas-Nasri, but Cesc has been out for too long. If you can consider Ronaldo (with all the creative freedom he gets) a midfielder, it is definitely Özil-Ronaldo.
Honourable mention to Sahin-Bender for their amazing work in Dortmund. Very much a Xavi-Busquets kind of duo.

And in attack it would be obvious to name Messi and Villa, but I feel you hugely underrate Pedro then. Lately Pedro has been doing better than even the great David Villa, and he has been a true asset almost every time he plays. Villa has been wasteful, despite putting in so much effort, and despite still scoring tons. So I don't think it's fair to say Messi-Villa is the best duo, when clearly Pedro is involved so often too. And Iniesta is often the one initiating the last moment of an attack, so in his AM role he can be considered more influential for the attack than either Villa or Pedro.

I'll be controversial and not pick any of my favourite Barça stars, and go for Robben-Gómez instead. Chicharito-Rooney also spring to mind, with a potential for much more even, because Rooney is still not nearly as confident and effective as he can be, and Hernández is a killer already, but probably can develop even further. I wonder how well Chicharito and Berbatov would be together: they seem like perfect complimentary players
Nkrumah (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Souleymane Diawara & Stéphane Mbia (Marseille)
Darren Bent & Kenwyne Jones (Sunderland A. F. [C.])
Luís Fabiano & Frédéric Kanouté (Sevilla)
Ltm017 3 years ago
Okay I have to say this and I really don't care what anyone else says but      Alves and Messi!
Sebparedes (Barcelona) 3 years ago
I think the current partnership of Nilmar and Rossi at Villareal is one of the most underrated in the world at the moment
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Ganso and Neymar share great chemistry and what you call a "telepathic" link at Santos. Pleasure to watch
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Kuyt and Suarez is one of my favorites right now. Carroll and Suarez if they can really form a good partnership it will be the stuff of legend, but right now they are in bit of different wavelengths, were as Kuyt and Suarez are linking up well. Stevie G and Torres was a classic one but it was only at it's best for one season, now it's gone. Forlan and Suarez was awesome this World Cup. When Xavi, Andres and Messi start knocking the ball about right outside the 18 yard area, I always am just in awe as well, fantastique
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Carvalho and terry.... Simple. Both were unstoppable when paired together during the mourinho era, which helped break and set some premier league records in terms of goals against
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Neymar - Ganso, ultimate passing generation
DerBomber (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Ozil - Muller perhaps? But more likely a team for the future.

I still miss the almighty Dwight Yorke - Andy Cole combination. That has got to be the best Man Utd partnership ever. They have contributed greatly to Utd's trophy haul too.

What about Gattuso - Pirlo? One of the greatest play makers combined with the best DM that Italy has ever seen.

Alonso - gerrard were a pretty decent combination as well.

So too Lampard - Essien

As for defenders wise, Maldini - Cannavaro - Nesta, ok this is a 3 man combination, but it can be split either way, and you'd still wind up with the best defence of a generation.

For Spain, Xavi - Iniesta - Alonso in the same manner.

Beckham - Van Nistlerooy this I think is an underrated pairing but magnificent nonetheless, laser guided balls for the best poacher ever.

Laudrup Brothers? Well, maybe not, but I thought it would be cool.

And while we're at the topic of Brothers, why not? The Neville Brothers.

At Real, I think it would seem odd for me to say this but, Marcelo and Ronaldo on the same wing.

The old Germany/Bayern combination of Keeper - Sweeper, Kahn-Matthaus maybe?

The list is endless, but I thought I'd try to mix in a few unique combination. And yes, these are not really current, out of point slightly
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Well there are plenty of good partnerships at the moment. Pique and Mascherano during the end of the season bcame a good partnership. Pretty solid. Hardly conceding anything. Thiago Silva and Nesta was very good this season. They were very consistant this season. Xavi and Iniesta is the best partnership at the moment and has been for about 3 years. They are similar to each other. Its like they have telepathic language. Theres also Rooney and Hernandez. Roonney is the hard worker while Hernandez finishes up the goal

Kick4Life - changing lives through football