Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
The Best "Brazilian" Of All Time.
Dgrant117 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Hmm, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Liedson, the striker that played in Sporting CP up until last year, a Brazilian who played for Portugal? He was quite good for Sporting back in the days

And also Eduardo da Silva that played in Arsenal (I can't remember the club he plays for now) is a Brazilian who plays for Croatia
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
He plays for Dynamo Kiev now I think. I really liked Eduardo, it was unfortunate about his leg break, if that didn't happen he would still be having a wonderful career
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Deco in my opinion is the most successful Brazilian to not play for Brazil although senna comes in as a close second place
Although Deco won two Champions Leagues, Marcos Senna had won the European Championship and if he was fit I have no doubt's he would have been a part of the World Cup team as well. Although he didn't directly win the WC he put in a lot of work getting there
KeizerO (Twente) 2 years ago
Pele anyone?
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Read the topic
I was about to post what Brazilian I thought was the best, but I'm afraid it's 18+ material
Seriously though: Senna and Deco are two great examples, and they're both in the same age-class. I wonder how well Brazil would've played if they made up the midfield with Dinho.

There are a number of great players in similar situations, like di Stefano playing for both Argentina and Spain, Ferenc Puskas for Hungary and Spain or Paulino Alcantara for Catalonia, the Philippines and Spain as well. Seems like a lot of players like playing for Spain.

Eusebio is IMO a very underrated great, and he really was the first fantastic African player. But, because his country Mozambique was a Portuguese colony, he had to play for Portugal, where he became a legend. Many Dutch greats (Rijkaard, Gullit, Seedorf, Davids, Kluivert) have roots in Suriname (tiny Dutch former colony) as well, but that's not what this topic is about.

To reply on topic: Nuri Sahin is born and raised in Dortmund and therefore was eligible to play for Germany, but wanted to play for his ancestors' country, Turkey, instead. He's potentially the best ever player to play for another country I can think of. Mesut Özil did the opposite: he's got Turkish roots too, but opted for Germany
Luqmaank (Chelsea) 2 years ago
The best Brazilian who did not play for Brazil in Donato Gamma Da Silva

Zlatan94310 (PSG) 2 years ago
Luis Nazario Da Lima ronaldo enough said.  
Sigh.... Read the original post...
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 2 years ago
Ah ah my bad! Well, as Julio mentioned above I think Deco is the best Brazilian player which didn't play for La Selecao indeed. An all rounder playmaker whose passing ability was remarkable. His influence on the teams he played for was remarkable, enabling him to earn trophies and be recognized among the top footballers in Europe.
What I really liked about Deco was his touch and technique. The ball would stick to his feet
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
For me the, the greatest Brazilian can be described in these 2 videos:

TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
I'm not asking about actual Brazilians, the OP is referring to Brazilians which didn't play for Brazil
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
Ooohhh....... LOL. If that's the case then I would have to say the best brazilian who never played for Brazil has to be Deco. What that guy did when he was in his prime at Barcelona was simply amazing. A great dribbler, had a powerful longshot and was the best at scoring deflection goals. Lol.

TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
I made this topic because Brazil is obviously one of the most talented footballing nations on the planet. There is so much talent that sometimes world class talent must find another country to make their own. Of course Brazil isn't the only country which this happens in so don't be afraid to name another player in the same position.

Just an example.

Giuseppe Rossi is NOT the case as he choose Italy over the USA in which Italy is easily the greater footballing nation.

Owen Hargreaves is also does NOT fall into this category as England is by far the more prestigious country to represent.

A proper example, and my nominee.

Marcos Senna.

I would consider him one of the more successful players of this class. With Spain he was the 2nd best player in Euro 08. He would have easily have made the WC winning team as well if it weren't for his injury problems in the previous season.

Senna could be considered a one club man if you just consider his European career. He has been with Villarreal since 2002 and was a major part in Villarreal's success in the last decade, their best year is probably when they reached the Champions League semi-finals in 2005/06 season where they lost to Arsenal enroute to the finals in Paris.

In my opinion Senna should go down as one of the best defensive midfielders in history and I think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that he will go down into the top 3 defensive midfielders of all time for Spain once he retires.

Senna's technical attributes is everything you would want from a defensive midfielder. He has some of the best positional sense that you will ever see and positions himself perfectly. Although Brazilians and Spaniards aren't ever seen as hard tackling, Senna is far from it and would more often then not pull off a great tackle than a foul.
Something that Brazilians and Spaniards are known for though is their ability to pass the ball. The same goes for Senna. No pass was out of range for him, he can pass the ball short, he can pass the ball long, range has never been a problem for Senna and neither was vision.

Here is a video of his performance against Barcelona last season.

Free kick against Real Madrid

Goal against Arsenal

Against Athletic Bilbao

Probably his best goal of his career

Short interview

Kick4Life - changing lives through football