Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Stuart Pearce Funny Team Selection Against Holland!!! A New Era Has Begin Or Just Another Way To Humiliation???
Vaishnav (Liverpool) 2 years ago
England squad to face Holland

Goalkeepers: Scott Carson (Bursaspor), Joe Hart (Man City), Robert Green (West Ham)
Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), Micah Richards (Man City), Chris Smalling (Man United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Man City), Tom Cleverley (Man United), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Man City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), James Milner (Man City), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Forwards: Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Fraizer Campbell (Sunderland), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United)

Pearce surprise everyone with his sick selection, it is a big risk that he is taking. Holland is a very good side and if I'm not wrong they are actually number 3 on the fifa list. The list of defenders seem alright but I believe Lescott deserves his name in that list instead of Smalling!

In midfield, Cleverly and Young were both out injured for most of the season, Walcott been out of form and so inconsistent, god knows what he had in mind when he picked them. I believe Scott Sinclair and Marc Albrighton would have been a better choice or even give a chance to Nathan Dyer!

On the attacking front, Campbell has been out for almost 17months and just came back around a month ago, how did he pick him over Defoe, Danny Graham and Gabriel Agbonlahor is beyond me. Isn't Danny Graham the second best english leading goal scorer after Rooney?

Is Pearce picking up players blindly or maybe he shares a good relationship with those players who doesn't deserve to be in the squad? If he really wanted to give young blood a try, how come he omitted those who are really performing? Is it because they play for 'so-called' small teams rather than the top 4 ones? So many questions and doubts....

Personally I think the team selection is not based on merits.
How far do you guys agree with his team selections?
Peteko 2 years ago
Honestly, I thought he would be more daring in his selection. However, I think that he is clearly seeing himself as a contender for the position and in my view he is already playing politics

Kick4Life - changing lives through football