Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Spain Vs USA
TheRonaldo7 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
From BBC.com:

Live - Wednesday's Confed Cup semi-final

Mighty Spain, on the brink of history once more, take on USA for a place in Sunday's Confederations Cup final.

Spanish victory would be their 36th successive match without defeat, a new outright world record, and it would give them a shot at adding the Confed Cup to their Euro 2008 crown.

Standing in their way is Bob Bradley's USA, who survived defeats in their first two group games to thrash Egypt 3-0 and book a shock place in the last four.

Currently the score is Spain 0 - USA 1 (Jozy Altidore 27th minute)

I just can't beleive it this is game on, climpt demsey so far has been the best player on the pitch!
Nani22 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Usa are winning OMG I thought spain will never lose but if they did out of all the teams it had it be USA
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Hey look its a ''nani''! Lol
Nani22 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Shut up why are you chasing me around no one is laugh and it anit even funny
JohnnyG (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Wow, I really hope we can hold on to this lead.... Then again, that's exactly what we're doing right now, holding on to this lead for dear life. I'm hoping for one more goal somehow to give us a little cushion, but Spain have had sooooo many opportunities
DocTurtle (Chelsea) 5 years ago
This is a nail biter of a game! I can't believe we are still 1-0 up in the 70th minute!
I can't beleive it its so tense out there.... I thought Spain had scored on like six occasions!

Hooooooly s**t!

Goooooooaaaallll!

USA 2!
USA 2!
OMG!
I'm a seriously goood commentator! Don't ya think!  Loool!      Exciting stuff out here, time is running out on Spain!
There is no way you are 24. But yes, I am also excited USA is winning haha
C'mon man what you saying.... I'm on the drink man.... Its making me dizzy!
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Dizzy Ronnie
Woooo wooooo!
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'T is the star-spangled banner: oh, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

America america
LOOL! Sing your National Anthem Proud!    What do you think this is going to do to Americans who don't watch soccer?
OMG! I never thought they could do it, Ther's no way
Hey I wach soccer all the time!
Honestly, it won't do much haha. If we were to do this in the World Cup, then I feel like people would start paying attention
The americans wach permere league alot!
Yeah I know. But in all seriousness, how is this game going to turn the rest of the USA onto footy? I love my country, and I have optimism for the future of football/soccer in the USA, but this game is not going to be the thing that makes it get big.
Ok fair enough! But what if you somehow defeat Brazil too, and win the Confederations Cup! Surely there will be some sort of an impact?

They will win if they take the US Seriously unlike Spain. Impact? I'm deffo thinking so
Nitro (Barcelona) 5 years ago
I can't beleive what I'm seeing!  
Wooo! I am completely amazed.... I never thought it would actually happen. I had predicted a 1-0 win for USA if they were to win (thought it would be low scoring). I am VERY worried about our ability to hold the ball up, once we got the ball we immediately lost it. But still, very encouraging for the US to beat the #1 team in the world
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
That was mostly Jozy Altidore losing the ball, despite his great goal
TFoAV (Whitecaps) 5 years ago
YES!
This is why anything can happen in football: Because of games like this! Awesome GAME BY THE US! The defence was absolutely amazing, that's easily the best defensive effort or one of the best in US soccer history. Unfreakingbelievable. Really proud to be an American right now, because of these guys
What now then? Do you guys view the US a legitimate team, or do you think Spain played rubbish?
From an unbiased perspective from me, I think that Spain played well, they just were not able to take advantage of the opportunities they had, and the had a lot of opportunities! I feel pretty confident in saying that the Spaniards had possession probably 65-35. They were shoving it down our throats the whole game.
For the US, well, they just played really good defence. Forget the goals, to tell the truth, this game could have gone either way, but you have to commend Demerit, Onyewu, Bocanegra, and Spector for an awesome game.
Oh yeah....
USA!
That was biased lol
Spain played nicely. They had all the chances in the world, and they were unfortunate in the fact that the 2 chances that the US had in the box, Altidore basically beat his marker for a goal and then the US just had better numbers in the box Dempsey's goal. Spain played a great game except for those two moments when the US got in the box, which is when the US took advantage of the opportunities that they had.

On the other side of the ball.... Spain had every chance in the world to score.... But the US's defence was just too damn good today. They were making some unbelievable defensive plays (one play that comes to mind was Onyewu clearing a ball with a no-look, back heel kick. That was freaking ridiculous). Spain was putting unbelievable pressure on the US's goal, and the US either cleared the ball or Howard made a save. Basically, the US's defence made all the difference in this one. If the US didn't play half as well in their own box as they did today, Spain probably wins 3-2
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Man of the Match for me is definitely Onyewu. He was absolutely superb today, and without him, USA would have easily lost.    
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I'd say howard he stopped everything
Ben (Arsenal) 5 years ago
USA deserved it, it seems Spain played with no urgency even though they moved the ball better. Strong games from the US center backs, Donovan, and Howard!
Oh yeah, hats off to Tim Howard, he' had an amazing tournament so far. He's really good at commanding the field
And if anyone listened, Tim Howard was recently drafted by the Harlem Globetrotters. Talk about amazing, and I thought I was athletic! I doubt that Everton will let him play though lol
Howard played brilliantly today, let's hope he can keep it up
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
To say the USA was the dominate side in this game would be a lie. However, to say that the USA worked hard to earn the victory is the absolute truth. First goal was a show of amazing strength from Altidore; the way he turned the defender reminded me of the old fashioned center forward. The second goal as somewhat of a gift from Ramos, but still, congrats to Dempsey for persevering in the end.

Overall, I'm ecstatic that the USA won. Seriously I almost cried when we scored the second. Hopefully, the USA can come back with the same attitude against either Brazil or South Africa
Giorgakis (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
Ya I'm with Yombe although Spain ARE the better team USA took advantage of their oppurtunities even though they did not habe as many as spain, and capitalized
BTW, what's with the US and these crap red cards? Michael Bradley got sent off on a terrible call. No way in hell that was a red card
For sure, the US defence was incredible, I don't think that even should have been a foul...
Yeah if you happened to watch the replay of the "foul", Micheal Bradley had all ball
I hope we won't miss him in the Final though, that was a really big blow. However, the way that Feilhaber played makes me confident that we should be solid in the midfield
You guys think they'll apeal the red card?
I sure hope so. They have a valid point. Plus, we would definitely benefit from having Bradley back on the field. He's a very smart player, and was one of the players today that didn't give away the ball a whole lot
Yep
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
It was a tackle in which his second foot neared his other, making a two-footed tackle. Got ball though, so not deservin of a card at all
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Really, it was a foul.... He didn't get much ball if any. A red card? No way, yellow maybe because of two feet, but soft either way. These European refs are killing me. In the game against Brazil the red could have been deserved as it was a frustrated, harsh challenge. But this one and the one against Italy were really just mind-boggling. What are they watching? Honestly
ZidaneTheLagend (Liverpool) 5 years ago
WTF did usa just win
Ya I was shocked too
Umm yah this is what this hole thing is about! Lol
Neonseong (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Where've you been buddy?
I would take Brasil over South Africa in the Final. Not only because I would like to see a rematch between us and the Brasilians, but if South Africa was to pull off a "usa" against Brasil, they would have their whole country behind them, considering the fact that the tournament is being held in "South Africa" lol
How did south africa get so far is my question
South Africa's not that bad of a team. They have Parker, Pienaar, and other solid players that make them a very competitive team
I know but when I think of teams that should have beenin the semifinals South Africa does not cross my mind, but they are an okay team, that you are right
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Well look at their group. They only had to deal with the likes of Iraq and New Zealand to make it to the semis
Ya your right

Kick4Life - changing lives through football