Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Spain And France Fight For Zidane's Son
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
Which country should he play for?

Real Madrid sporting director Jorge Valdano recently said that "there will be a duel" between France and Spain over Zidane's 15-year-old son Enzo.

Link: sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Spa...
Ltm017 4 years ago
If he goes to play for Spain I wouldn't like it one bit! He needs to play for France and that should be the end of it
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago

He's already a hot shot in Real's youth system.

I will say this. With Spain, he will find it hard to make it in the team. For a while, and will have to battle with other youngsters to get start for many years to come. Also, France will hate him.

If he plays for France, they will idolize him and give him an opportunity to play. If he does anything near as much as his father did, it will have been worth it. And Spain won't care a bit, probably.

Of course he is probably fluent in Spanish and French. He probably spent a lot of time with the French team and squad when his father was playing. I would imagine, then, that he'd be most comfortable playing for France. At the same time, however, the French football association have a lot of work to do before they deserve Enzo. But he's got potential
Adamaus (Manchester United) 3 years ago
How can you not have potential when you spend your life, from basically birth, getting coached by some of the best coaches in the world
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Jordi Cruyff is a prime example of that Adamaus. But Enzo's future is bright I agree
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Not to mention trying to nut-meg dear old dad.... He's just one more of those potential future stars we always hear about
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Good point Juno.    Sooter, yes, France are much more emotional about him for the understandable reasons.
Adamaus (Manchester United) 3 years ago
But realistically if your born with some natural athleticism and talent then you are going to make it pro with that amount of training and coaching
Maybe he should choose the "golden mean" and play for Andorra.
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I would much rather see him playing for France than Spain. It would probably make his dad more happier
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
France definitely, it would just be wrong for him to play for Spain when his dad was a legend for France....Heres also sonething I found about this topic

Link: soccerlens.com/the-battle-for-enzo-zidane/55961/...
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Surely Algeria?
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Haha lol, I think we all forgot about Algeria!
A-ha. Sorry, but he is even less Algerian than his father was.

In 1982, Algeria beat Germany and was eliminated only after a shady deal between Germany and Austria. The German newspapers wrote: "Better a honest defeat against Algeria than a shameful win against Austria. "

Since then, the last games of the groups in FIFA World Cup are always played in the same time.

Algeria is far from those great days today, but the young Zidane would inspire a great comeback.

Nevertheless, I don't see it happening
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
For sure! Him and 10 other guys who work at McDonalds
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
But zidane is algerian? So is ben arfa and benzema anndd nasri!
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Well why don't the entire french team decide to play for algeria?    Then they can make sure they'll never win a world cup
Andy (Rangers) 3 years ago
Zidane, Ben Arfa, Nasri etc. Were all born in France but have Algerian ancestry. Look at Marseilles books and you see a lot of French players with Algerian heritage.

They could have technically played for Algeria on parents-rule but Zizou's son is too disconnected
N3razzurri (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
Aren't people getting ahead of themselves? How old is he? Besides even if he may showcase the talents of his dad, it took Zidane a long time before he was recognized as a genuine football legend, Enzo still has a long way to go. Don't get me wrong.... He might turn out to be a star but as good as his dad? What did Zidane do, clone the kid? To me, the only kid hailed as a wonder kid at a young age and has lived up to those expectations is Messi. Anyways I'll keep my fingers crossed that this kids future doesn't get jinxed by all this hype surrounding him
In fact, early success and expectations can easily kill a kid's future. The buzz about Enzo is not unheard off.

I remember the fuss about Jordi Cruijff. Many expected him to be great like his father and his start was not bad at all. However, he reached a certain level and that was it. Blame injuries, blame luck, blame expectations, blame whatever you want. There are so many obstacles in a lad's career that predictions are mostly to be enjoyed for what they are, just predictions
Aliko (Barcelona) 3 years ago
I think let him chose if he wants to be from the "tricolore" or "la furia roja"
I would like to see him wearing the spain jersey with his name on it. But let us see how he progresses
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
If he is already in Real Madrid. Then he should stay put. He should join Barcelona. He has a better chance of becoming a start. Like Xavi Puyol Iniesta Messi Pedro Bojan Nolito and Thiago
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 3 years ago
What are you talking about?
What do you mean what do I mean
I've worked it out now but the structure of your sentence was confusing. First you said he should stay put in Real Madrid as he is already there but then you say he should go to Barcelona. He is already in Real Madrid, so do you think he should stay or go to Barcelona for better development?
Sry for my poor english there. Let me rephrase tht. If he is playing for the Real Madrid side he should stay there for sure. But he if he wants a chance of following in his dads footsteps he should move to Barcelona. Bcuz they learn how to play sexy football from a young age and Pep gives chances to the younger players like Bojan Pedro Nolito and Thiago
This isn't a black or white matter, as I can relate. Ukraine born but resident of the UK for the last decade, I feel different connections to both countries. Only he knows how he feels, and no one should be judgemental of his decision. His father will be 100% behind him, whichever jersey he dons
Andy (Rangers) 3 years ago
If he picks France he will have to cope with the added pressure of following in his father's footsteps.... A World Cup medal + a Euro medal and a runners-up medal in the WC.... Quite a lot to live up to...
Hmm, that's not really a reason to deter you from playing for your country, rather a reason why you should. Everybody has to feel pressure. Personally, I think he should play for the country of his roots, but again, how do we know what emotional ties he feels towards them both. Let the kid grow up first, I shouldn't think he will have to seriously think about it for another couple of years anyway
ElToroFurioso (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I'm sure Zidane would rather his son played for France to follow his legacy.... Big boot's to fill!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football