Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
South America Far Superior To Europeans!
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Why do South American have the edge over Europeans?
They are way more skilled and Naturally talented than Europeans why is that? Do you agree? Discuss!
Southamerica122 (Alianza Lima) 9 months ago
Yes I agree I see kids the age of 16 that are far supirior than lowandoski, xavi, iniesta, balotelli marion gomez put together. Europe is in no way shape or form the highest theyve ever been os on par with south america but never better
SirRyanGiggs11 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
To sum up the differences between South American and European football, I recommend watching the "more skilled and naturally talented" Argentinian team get shredded 4-0 by the Germans:
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 2 years ago
What? Lmao that's What your showing me? Who has the World Player of the year times in a row? NO one from Germany that's who!
SirRyanGiggs11 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
European Football> South American Football
Clevs2892 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I'm by no means saying SA is poor and Europe is rich because quite frankly we're all poor right now! Haha
Clevs2892 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I don't know if I'd agree thay they're far superior. I can say that a lot more South Americans learn playing barefoot in the street where as in parts of Europe they learn through academys or just playing at a field. Of course there are many exceptions I'm just throwing that out there. Just as its easier to become a skateboarder in California because of the smooth pavement and big stairsets than it is in say Mexico or another place with more rough cracked pavement but people always learn
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
What exactly do you mean by superior to Europeans?
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
I had this excerpt from Tim Vickery's blog.

"Neymar and Vargas going head to head for the 'player of the Americas' title is a good sign. Both are worthy inheritors of a great tradition.

A few years ago Brazilian centre-back Juan mused on the differences between top players in Europe and in his country - though in effect he might as well have been speaking about his own continent.

"Technically, the Europeans are better than the Brazilians in terms of passing, shooting, heading, " he said, which is not as surprising as it might seem, given that the extra pace of European football means that functions need to be executed faster. "But we have more ability, with an unmatched capacity to dribble. "

This ability to come up with an improvised solution - showcased by Vargas and Neymar in their superb goals - is a trademark of the South American game. It could be seen as a metaphor for the survival skills needed by the poor kid born on the wrong side of the tracks, where a sharp eye and a quick mind come in handy for taking advantage of the fleeting opportunities that life throws up.

Then, of course, there is the dynamic of football. One generation inspires the next. Kids in Brazil aim to place themselves in the tradition of Neymar and all those greats who came before him. Chilean kids will be trying to emulate Vargas, now of Napoli, and also his magnificently talented Barcelona-based compatriot Alexis Sanchez.

But what of British kids? One of the most fascinating aspects of football is its global dimension. Tactical innovations can be born in Holland and picked up years later in Colombia.

Local culture clearly has a major impact, but the competitive nature of the game means that there is a constant trade of information, ideas and, especially these days, of players as well. "

In terms of raw talent, maybe. But overall performances over a whole career? Maybe not. South Americans(Brazilians especially) tends to fall from the grace when they reached or near the pinnacle. (Messi and Zanetti not included)
Jonas01 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
You probably didn't watch the club world club. South-America are nowhere the level of europe
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Its not about the club world cup, Barcelona had Messi, Dani Alves, Mascherano all playing
Hill (Arsenal) 2 years ago
And 3/4 of the Spain team. Lol
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
But their best player is south american
Southamerica122 (Alianza Lima) 9 months ago
Lmfaoooo I know you did not just say that, ots obvious you don't watch football because you would know we have more international footbal titles than europe. Our football clubs have won club world cups than europe south ameroca was the first ever to win a world cup uruguay won and hosted it we won the first international club world cupwhich was palmeiras barcelona won there first in 2006 or was 2007 lmfaoo so after 100 years of it being found it just won their first like 6 years ago? We've won more and consecutively titles olimpia boca juniors palmeiras sao paulo santa fe nacional corinthians santos.... Etc. Etc we even play better europe is scared to play with us were the best
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
It is tough to compare the talent and ability of the two but I think it can easily be said that the managers from Europe are much better than the ones coming from South America. Obviously there are some very good coaches from South America such as Bielsa, Muricy, Pelligrini etc but no way can they compare to the European coaching minds.

I think the managers themselves is what is the biggest difference between the two footballing continents.

I know someone will bring up Santos vs Barcelona. Fair argument but it should be noted that Barcelona can and has done the exact same thing to other top European clubs so it isn`t much of a measuring stick to compare Santos to Barcelona. We would learn more if Santos were to play a team like Tottenham, Napoli, Roma, Valencia, etc. (a team without the huge financial resources)
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 2 years ago
Tactically and Defensively the Europeans are better organized than the South Americans, the Mexicans, and other Central America football nations, they are also physically stronger. Countries like Germany, France, England, Spain, Italy or the Netherlands have the best facilities available to develop players overall.
Organization is an important factor here, I`m not saying the South Americans are not organized or that there isn`t many good infrastructures, but in Europe there are more "tools". However, Hispanic and also African players are naturally above technically. You can tell the difference by looking at the numerous players that are above average technically.

Anyways, football wise you just can`t make a comparison like that, because in football it`s all about how you organize, prepare and build up your team. Implementing a very strong work ethic and discipline is important too, which can just make the difference over talent itself
HangTime (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I agree with you about the defensive part. I mean.... Who did argentina have playing at the back four when they played against germany? Did samual played? Mascherano should had played back there maybe. Argentina is rich with strikers though.... Augero, messi, higuin, tevez, zarate, levazzi or whatever his name is...
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
There have been oh so many great technicians, born and raised in Europe too. It's a fact South Americans have more flair by growing up playing in the streets where they develop great skill, but that doesn't mean you can generalize.

Europe has Holland, where tons and tons of sublime footballers have hailed from throughout all ages. Then there's modern-day Spain, where of course Barcelona take the crown in developing hugely talented youngsters. But Real Madrid has a great academy too, as do several other smaller clubs. Then there's France, where in the many suburbs hundreds of thousands of kids grew up playing ball on the streets too. This resulted in the generation of Zidane, Thierry Henry and Ribéry, but also in older greats like Michel Platini.

And then there are the less predictable geniuses, who are just natural born footballers, raised in an environment where football isn't really a religion. George Best from northern-Ireland, many Italian greats like Baggio, Zola, Del Piero and Totti. Germany have had their share of talented players too, though sublime German technicians were rare, until recently! Now they have great dribblers like Götze, Özil, Marin, Reus....

So basically, I'm saying that despite the obvious fact South Americans have the emphasis on street skills, which results in a large number of gifted dribblers, Europe has its share too. And what everyone else already said also applies to these players: besides the fact they're usually just as good with a ball as most Southern-Americans, they often are much better team players, have better tactical awareness and a more disciplined personality. The perfect combination is either a European with great skill, or a South-American who has had the privilege of enjoying good European schooling in his teens. I'm thinking of the Iniesta-like players of Europe, and the Messi-like players of South-America of course.

My conclusion: Southern-Americans (and Africans) have a certain 'zing' and a certain natural control of their bodies that allows them to control their movement better than most other races. They're often great dancers and of course they're good footballers too. But Europeans can have that too. And when they do, they often develop that skill far, because it can take you far as it is rarer here. On top of that, Europeans and their football clubs are generally quite disciplined and focus on all aspects of the game in a much more analytical approach. If you grew up like that as a football player, it becomes part of you.
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Tactically Europeans are probably better but in terms of dribbling and ball skills South American footballers tend to be superior at that. That is not to say that every South american player can dribble and run with a ball better every European player. I think this has a lot to do with the environment that they have grown up in and the way they learn and develop their football skills
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
What nonsense.

"They are way more skilled and Naturally talented than Europeans" - Would you care to elaborate on how you reached this conclusion? Did you make some kind of scientific study that proves people in South America are naturally more talented for football than those in Europe? And what exactly do you mean by skilled? I mean, if you're gonna' make such an absurd statement, at least you could attempt to explain to us where your reasoning comes from
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Hard to make such a general statement and then not back it up at all. I could see where you are coming from, in terms of natural skill, but look who was in the World Cup final, Spain and Holland. No one from South America, I imagine there are some players on both those teams with natural ability.

Some of the greatest dribblers did come from South America but when you look at the history, even though Di Stefano and Garrincha were two revolutionaries, Stanley Matthews came before them both.

Also some of the most sublime players with the greatest touch came from Europe. Cruijff, George Best, Dennis Bergkamp, Matt Le Tissier, Zidane.

You also have to consider African players, I think Jay Jay Okocha was one of the funnest players to watch I've ever seen because of his skills on the ball, amazing player.

People may find this interesting on the subject, maybe not haha

Link: www.footytube.com/forums/general-chat/european-xi-...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football