Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
So The Message Is
7blessings (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Oh what a vast controversy. Eduardo performs and horrendous dive and wins a penalty against Celtic, gets a two game champions league ban, Wenger is furious, Fergie says (paraphrasing), " This ban on Eduardo will send a message.... Interesting.
Not too long after, Arsenal vs Man United.... Timeless rivals battling in a close duel, ManU 1-0 down, Wayne Rooney goes down in the box and wins a penalty which he converted to change the tide of the game. The replay shows that the player was already on his way down before any sort of contact was made I. E. He dived
I am against diving all up.... It is the most detestable aspect of today's game; but my question to Sir Alex is:

What is the message that the ban on Eduardo sending: If you going to dive make it a good one?

If we going are going to review and punish plays where players dive, let us punish all divers, not just the terrible ones
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Well, obviously if they've banned Eduardo, then they can't just let all the other ones off. It'll be funny to see Ronaldo get banned after he goes down faking it. But I think it's the right idea. I don't think Arsene Wenger should be backing Eduardo, I think he should be telling him off
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
It would be funnier to see drogba get banned
Riggs (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Is this really intelligent footy debate? Well if it was its not anymore.

Rooney, although he does have some history of diving, was not trying to deceive the referee. He was starting to go down lower, which was caused (by my analysis at least) by overstretching to poke the ball away. Almunia that klutz came in and took rooneys legs out. What was he thinking? And even if rooney was, as you say, going down before any contact was made it would still be a penalty as almunia made sure to finish the job. All this is besides the point anyways. Your question to SAF,

The message a match ban on eduardo says don't dive period. Managers will be telling their players, and players will know its serious business. Not to mention eduardos reputation is stained forever. I won't forget that. If you want to see what a dive really is, check out eboue's in that same match. Diving, as i've said before, is a bad habit that players can't kick. An addiction, if you will.

Check out the "eduardo witch hunt" thread
Danyulz (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Particularly in the box, it seems that strikers are no longer of one mind. They have a nose for two things, a goal or a dive. It seems as though they'd be just as pleased with either. It's a crying shame if you ask me. How many tremendous goals have we lost because a player took the easy way out. There is nothing better in the sport than when a player, after fighting through a strong tackle, finds his reward in the back of the net. This controversy brings to light just how endangered that sight is
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Guys, am I missing something? I know other guys dive, but I can't think of one that is that obvious and in the box (resulting in a goal), especially in a champions league match. I think he was punished because it was especially outrageous and heavily influenced the game. I actually like Arsenal but after watching a replay I wanted him to be punished as well. Cheaters piss me off.

If I'm wrong just post a video response, or a link of a dive that influential or obvious where a ban was not enforced
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Check up Gilardinho's dive in the UCL, also against Celtic, back when he was still at AC Milan...
7blessings (AC Milan) 5 years ago
It was a very disgusting dive, and though I like eduardo as a player I was utterly disgusted with that performance (as I was with Eboue's dive against ManU @ Riggs). My point is that I find the diving culture on the whole to be disgusting and not only outrageous dives should be punished, but all diving, whether it is a convincing one or not. As long as a review shows that the player did dive, the punishment should be the same.

Ps. Wayne Rooney did dive; to suggest that he was falling over because he overstretched is simply ludicrous.... He saw the keeper coming, pushed the ball passes him and dove. Am sorry but whether you are a ManU fan or not, excuses should not be made for some players while e call for the heads of others
I'm totally with you on that, favoritism is for toolbags
The Gilardinho dive isn't the same because he didn't get away with it, he dove purposefully and got caught, yellow card.

No goal, not the same situation

Kick4Life - changing lives through football