Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Share Your Real-life Footy Playing Stories: Best Goal, Biggest Win, Injuries
LupusAlatus (Leeds United) 1 year ago
Hi. With my old college we sometimes had 5 a side games as a way to get out of college for a while. There was 3 teans (Astro Turf pitch) Now know one wanted the 2 only girls in their team so I was like sod it "come join us, it's not the WC final it's just fun" The girls had never played football in their life and were barbie style girls (no power etc) We told them to just stand with the keeper and help him. So we only really had 2 outfield players me and my friend both strikers (well I prefere playing just behind the striker)
To the match: the shot ratio must have beeen them 32 compared to our 3 (only 15 minute game), I have no idea how we kept it 0-0 so long. Bless the girls they did great even though they didn't know what to do, they were thriwing themselves at the ball like a Terminaer Vidic.
Anyway with about 40secs left the opposite team were so frustrated they pushed everyone forward, we were getting battered big time but holding on due to some amazing goalkeeping work and the girls blocking everything.
Our keeper got the ball pupped it forward and it somehow landed at my feet and I just slotted it past the keeper with 8secs left(15 min game) serves the opposite team right for pushing everyone upfront (no I was not offside) Cue the mass celebrations it was ingredibable. We were battered all game but kept fighting. Some of the opposite team players even played for local teams also.
Because of that goal it stopped them winning the little trophy The other team smashed us 5-0. But the team we had just won beat them 2-0 so they only had to beat us to win the trophy and they failed somehow.
Bless these 2 girls who had never played before they blocked everything and gave all. Amazing experience.
About 5 mins after the game I had to throw up in th buhes, his always happens when I push myself to the max.
Anyway thanks for reading my experience
Bjarni10 (Manchester United) 1 year ago
I have a story to share that happened a couple of weeks ago actually.

It's not a long one though. I was playing in a game with my local team. We were losing 2 - 0 at the time and the game was almost over. We got a free kick right at the end, and I wanted to take it.

I'm not that great at bending the ball but I had been practicing a bit in training. I stepped up and bent towards the top corner. It hit the post and went in. I was very happy with my goal especially since I had been practicing in training. My mate's asked after the game were the hell I had learned that lol
DANAFC (Arsenal) 2 years ago
My football team was split in two, and we were meant to be the "worse" team. 2-1 down in the last minute, I collect a pass and slot it in the corner. Cue slide on the knees
Georgio (Bayern München) 2 years ago
A little about myself - I play LB, RB, LW or RW - Preferably LW because I'm right footed yet my shooting is better than my Crossing.

K so I don't have a select team that I play for anymore because work has devoured my life, so the past two years i've been just meeting up with local college teams and helping them in training, I love my footy and I love coaching people even though I'm younger then most of the kids I'm coaching. I have made friends with the coaches at two community colleges where I live in Los Angeles, i've even had a training session with Chivas USA (thanks to some hookups with the owner of the team) wich was just amazing.

Anyways I'm here to talk about a goal I scored last week. I was in the middle of a full game 11v11 when I got elbowed in the face right above my left eye. No foul called, I wear contacts and it kinda lost its place and I was just seeing blurry out of it. Went off on the right side of the field my contact was lodged under my eye lid lol, finally got it centered and got into the game....

I was a RW/forward this game the score was at 0-0 and it was nearly the end of the match. As I casually walk in twords the corner of the box my (very nervous) team mate get the ball on the edge of the box to the left of me, and without regard of the 3 defenders right in front of him just blasted at goal the ball ricocheted Right Into My Face! Right at the same spot I was elbowed earlier and it hurt like hell, I was more pissed then anything. The ball bounced once after its contact with my face and with all the power I could muster I kicked that ball on the volley like I wanted to kill it!

With my left eye closed I followed my shot witch looked like it was destined for the parking lot but then it dipped and swerved right into the far top left corner of the net right in the postage stamp!

It was a mixture of joy pain releif and anger all in one second hahaha I asked to be subbed off right at that point because my eye was really bugging me but I will forever remember this goal it was the best volley I have ever seen scored with my own eyes or at least one of my eyes.
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I was playing an indoor match yesterday and while running into position, nowhere near anyone, I managed to tear my calf muscle. I was on crutches today and had a visit to the physio. He shaved my leg, strapped up the injury which helped hugely, and put risers in my shoes to take the strain off the calf. I was terrified that it was going to be my achilles tendon because at the time it happened, I felt a definite pop in my leg.

6 weeks with no football - that's the longest I've been out in about 5 years.

As an added bonus, the physio got some student nurses to shave my leg. Worth it
Georgio (Bayern München) 2 years ago
LMAO where the student nurses young bronze and muscular hahaha

Sucks your injured I had a tear in my groin that took 3months to heal and I'm slowly getting back in the game at the moment. So you can manage 6 weeks lol
TopGoalscorer (Manchester City) 3 years ago
The best goal so far in my career, I was playing center forward, the ball gets cleared from defence and I see the ballsowly gain height, 3 minutes to go and we were 1-0 down in a semi final, ball bounces infront of me and catch it on the half volley with my laces. Dipped under the goal keeper and into the back of the net from 25 yards out.
Went on to win in extra time.
Felt over the moon!
Bjarni10 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
If you have seen my earlier post you will know what this is about.

So anyway I was playing in the final today and it was a rough game from start to finish. After winning in the semis my team and I were full of confidence to win the game.

We arrived on the pitch and our coach said we are playing 4 - 4 - 2 and I was starting as a midfielder. The game started and we made a couple of really good chances but we couldn't put them away. We hit the post twice and the crossbar once in the first half. We dominated possession and the chances but we couldn't find that goal that we deserved.

And that's when the blow came. They crossed a poor cross into the box and one of our defenders scored an own goal after heading it past the goalkeeper. So we were losing at half time by one goal. But our coach said that we should keep playing like we were playing cause he was very confident we would eventually score.

We started the second half again really well but couldn't score. We hit the post again and the crossbar as well. I hit the crossbar as well in the second half.
Then we finally scored and leveled the game with a pretty scrappy goal as the ball got drilled through a crowd of players and into the net. This after about 70 minutes or so.

Then another blow. They scored again as we were still celebrating and not focused as they restarted the game. We pulled ourselves together and pressed them and pressed them but they were defending really well.

We got a corner at the end which would be our final chance. I took it myself and managed to pick out the head of one of my team mates as he scored a great header and we were level and managed to save the game for penalties.

Now I had never been in a penalty shootout in my life but I was picked as a third kicker for our first five penalty takers.
They started and scored there first and second penalty and so did we. They missed there third one and the pressure was on me to give us a lead in shootout.
I stepped up slowly and took a deep breath and placed into the bottom right corner as the goalkeeper dived the wrong way. And I was so happy that I had scored.

And we won in the end 5 - 4 on pens as we scored all our penalties. And we celebrated like we had won the Champions League. But that's my story thanks for reading. Cheers
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Fantastic! What a story. Cheers for that and congrats on the solid win

Lesson learned about keeping your concentration after a goal no doubt
I played a pick-up indoor football game today with a four foot high metal goal at either end. I spotted some space behind the defenders and ran into it, seeing as there was no offside rule. Someone flicked a bouncing ball through for me and I was running full-out as hard as I could. It was a foot race between the keeper and me as to who would get there first.

I guess the keeper realised I was going to win the race so he backtracked a few feet right onto the goal line to block the shot (wrong decision). The ball bounced up awkwardly and I chested it, right downwards and beyond the keeper into the goal!

However the bad thing was my momentum from running towards it took me through the ball, through the keeper and I ended up knocking him fully back into his own net. Goal awarded, but I felt like a jackass for doing that to the keeper. The thing is I fully expected that he would have run out, jumped out and punched both the ball and me, but he decided to go backwards instead.

No injuries, no problems but a few inches higher when he fell backwards and he would have cracked his head on the very low crossbar.

Well this actually happened quite recently as I was playing in a cup tournament with my local team Þróttur.

We had made it into the quarter final stage of the tournament and we were drawn against the favorites in the competition. I had missed the first few games cause I was injured but I was fit to play for this one.

My coach loves to play 4 - 5 - 1 with me as a defensive mid. And personally I love playing there just because I like to get involved in the game a lot.
So the game started at a very slow pace and we conceded about an half an hour into the game after some slack marking after a set piece.

At half time, the coach was unhappy and wanted us to pick up the pace to our game. And he was gonna' put a striker on as well so I thought I was going off at half time. But instead he put me just in the midfield to try and support the two strikers up front.

So after about 20 odd minutes we finally caught a break as we got a good free kick about 20 - 25 yards from goal. A friend of mine (who is a pretty cocky player) stepped up to take the free kick and shot straight into the wall.
The ball fell kindly for me outside the box and I smashed first time and it hit the post and the ball just crept in. With a little help from an deflection on the way I should add.

Then it seemed we were destined for pens as we wouldnt be playing extra time. But we won a penalty ourselves late on to win the game. My friend that took the free kick took it and scored.

We managed to keep them from scoring for the last few minutes and we were through to the semis. It was a fantastic feeling to win against the favorites in the competition and we feel we can go on and win it now as the semi will be played next sunday.

So thanks for reading my story. Cheers
Fantastic story, exactly what this topic is all about. Thanks for that!
Made it through to the final this morning which will be played next thursday.
We won on penalties after a 2 - 2 draw. Didn't get to take pen though I was taken off a bit earlier
Yogan (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Omg guys! I haven't been on this site for ages and I miss you all. Well I just wanted to inform you of a brilliant goal I scored which was finally the first for my team I have scored. I'm a bit of an Aaron Lennon you see: small, quick right winger who doesn't score allot of goals! Anyway here's how it happened.

We won a corner and our manager (who isn't actually very good but his tactics for this worked!) had been telling two of us to stand on the edge of the area when we were attacking and defending corners. So I took up my position. I waited for the ball to come in and tried to create space for myself. The ball came in and my marker got dragged away in to the area but it was headered away by his teammate. Then, just by magic the ball dropped to me before I thighed it up took a little touch and then volleyed it clean and sweetly into the top corner without letting it have touched the ground!

I really didn't expect it but you know I don't think confidence is key because that was one of the games where before I hadn't been saying to myself in my head "come on, you can do it this time. " Anyway, what a goal it was! BTW people, I'm glad to maybe be back and may continue to come on again regularly!
Good to hear from you Glad to hear you're still playing footy and thanks for the story
I'm still playing two games a week and in the most recent one, an indoor match, I was really on form. I played as a kind of a lone striker, annoying the defence. There was no offside, so I would drift around their goal, picking up defenders and would eventually have two or three people marking me. With that happening, it obviously meant we had several players free to pass and move.

Aside from that, I just seemed to be in the right place, right time. One of our team took a really decent shot, low, hard and barely off target. If I had left it, it would have gone wide. I was facing it, so I jumped forward, over it, let the ball come through my legs and hit it into the goal with the side of my heel. I only had to barely change the direction because all the power came from the original shot.

My current tactic when shooting is put as much spin on the ball as possible and try to make it bounce either right beside or just in front of their keeper. If he tries to save it with his foot, the spin takes it into the net. If it hits anyone on the way in (I place it) then it can deflect anywhere.

I'm really enjoying the games
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I go to an international school and every year each year group. MS=Middle School JV=Junior Varsity and SV=Senior Varsity enter a football tournament called scis. WE didn't do so well be it was a great xperiance since it was my first real football tournie. The first game we won 4-2 with me assisting one of the goal of tournament and scoring one. Our Striker did a nice through ball and I ran after it and it looked like it was going out but I managed to pull it back and it caught everyone off guards except our other striker and he back heeled it in. Then my goal it was a corner and for some reason the keeper did not run out so I headed the ball into the back of the net inside the 6 yard box. Then in our second game we got creamed 5-2 by the eventual winners. In this game I was very poor to be honest. Both our goals were real scrappy. On was a own goal and another was a counter and our striker jst slot it home. But after those two goals we just go outplayed. Then in the third game we lost in a very close game. 3-2. They scored then we responded very quickly. Then howlers from our keeper and our right back cost us and it was 3-1. Then we were chasing the game. And our striker came close to scoring twice from my crosses. The first went just over the keeper then he missed it by a mm. Then the next one was a low cross and the keeper went right in front of him and gathered the ball. Then in the next match we tied 3-3. WE tooked the lead when our striker scored from a nice long ball from our right back. Then the other team made it 3-1. But this team defence was slow and our wingers(including me 13. 3 in 100m and I'm 13) so we had many chances. Then our stiker scored a hattrick to make it 3-3. And in the 7/8 play offs we won 5-0 with me scoring a craker. Our striker dropped deep and did a high through pass then I out ran the left back to smash it into the top near corner. Then our captain scored a free kick from the half line into the top corner. And that is the last competitive game i've played
Thanks for that
Rogue4341 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
It was pouring rain, about 27 degrees farenheit and I was in goal. The game was tied 1-1 and the opposing team was getting desperate while we were in extra time. Their striker blew past my defence like they were leaves in a hurricane and I was trying to keep calm.coming out I knew that I either slid and stopped the play or somehow caught the pass. The stiker didn't pass. The next three seconds seemed like an eternity. Somehow I managed to get up to him without him getting off his shot. I caught the ball right before the pass and shut down the entire offensive play. As I stood up the whistle blew and my andrenaline stopped pumping and I just fell to my knees happy with the knowledge I had saved the game
Awesome. More please!
I was playing in midfield having played the first half in goal and it had just started to snow. I was playing defensive mid against an awesome team. There was no wind, and the snow muffled the sounds around me. My team got the ball and I ran up to support. I saw an opening and called for a cross right outside the eighteen. The Left winger got a perfect pass right to my feet with no defenders anywhere near me. I started to dribble up the pitch, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a defender start to slide. On pure instinct I flicked the ball toward the goal and the defender slid right into my ankle. I heard a snap, but was to focused on the ball to notice. The keep had slipped trying to get to the ball! I leaped for joy, having scored. When I landed I collapsed. My ankle had been broken. We won the game 1-0. I still thank luck and the snow for that goal
Holy moley that's a scary ending. Goes to show how easy it can happen
Yeah. Still one of my favorite goals of all time. It was funny though I never felt it hurt until the next day. Bizarre.... Lucky though it was the last game of the season. Both of those games happend that season. 2009 season of epics
Barracuda (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Well the best moment for me was when I was at school, and most our senior players left the school, I was given the the school team captaincy and we won our fist game as me being the captain.

Was a wonder full game, we won it 5 - 3
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
After a one-two exchange with my MF team mate on the left hand side around the middle of the pitch, I controlled the ball into the space and cut inside and then hit the ball hard enough with the right foot and curled it around the far post. Keeper well beaten by a 'clinical' finish ^ ^ to give the lead to my team. 2-1 half-time
My favorite goal as a defender.

The kneecap - ankle strain combo injury put me away from the pitches for 4 months

When I was about 10 my 1st 4-0 defeat devastated me. I cried like a Baby all day long

Kick4Life - changing lives through football