Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Share Your Real-life Footy Playing Stories: Best Goal, Biggest Win, Injuries
Ktorum (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Well, from active days which are years back in time I probably got loads and loads of stories to share with you, but I would like to focus on an episode of a more resent caracter. I took my referee licence for a couple of years ago which alows me to games up to boys at the age of 16 years. My third asignment as a head ref was in a cup match in the local town where i`m living in for the moment.
A big tackle was made right outside the box, and an obvious yellow card incident. The only problem was that the marking on the pitch was very if not catastrophically done so I couldn`t see clear wether or not it was inside the area or outside.... In the heat of the moment and my insecurety as a ref made me change my mind as I blew the whistle and instead of pointing out a freekick decition I changed my mind and gave the attacking team a penalty. The attacking team was crowding around me like angry wasps and I hard the hardest time sorting out the situation.
It definatly made my respect grow a lot for the refs who are playing big games in big leauges and made me understand ar least a little bit what they are going through when the crowd goes wild against them, ha ha ha oh my God....
As a footnote to the story, I admit that it wasn`t a penalty, but on the other hand the goalie saved the kick which made me and the other team feel a little better. But my god how I could feel the hatred towards me....

Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Great story! I didn't expect one from the point of view of the referee!
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Very interesting, I like hearing about those. I always try to go up to the ref after a game and say thank you, especially if he seems to have had a rough time. I also try to apologize if I've been a bit of a twat as well
Ha ha, yes the refs are an often forgotten aspect of the game! As we sit in the audience and howling at him (oh yes, I´m doing it as well! ) spewing our wrath over his bad disitionmaking we very seldom keep in mind that he have to make a split second decition with no rerun to look at at the big screen.
Ha ha, I can`grasp the half of the trauma Övrebö had to go through in the last years champions league semifinal between Chelsea and Barcelona at Stamford Bridge! It takes a certain peace of mind to stand his ground in a situation like that!

Ciankc (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Ya I am a referee too, but I only ref under 8. No problems with discipline there. I can't even bring my cards!
I played another tournament game today and by half time we were three-one down against a very good team. We had a quick team talk, completely changed strategy from "shoot on sight" to "pass it quickly" and it seemed to pay off. We couldn't get a goal though, shots barely missing or else being well saved and held by their keeper.

At one point the ball came to me perfectly in attack so that all I had to do was redirect it, and it meant the keeper - who was charging out - suddenly had to scramble back. It was going right in with power into the very bottom corner, inside the post, when it crossed the line completely, but then hit the stantion! For those that don't know, the stantion is the supporting bar that runs backwards and down from the cross bar. Its used to make the goal have some depth and give it support. Imagine my surprise when the ball bounced off this bar, back out into the field of play and the referee said "Play on!". No!

The other team kind of half stopped, half played on, but our team started to protest that the ball had been in the net and ricocheted out. Eventually the referee admitted he didn't see it and assumed it hit the post. He gave the goal and it gave our team a real boost. The score was now 3-2.

We played hard and made sure we went on to win 5-3. Excellent stuff but could have been so bad
Since we got first place in our league, we had our regional tournament today. There are 4 pools of 3 teams, and each team plays 2 games. The teams with the most points at the end of group stage go on to the semifinals. In our first game, we won 2-1. In our second game, we played this really tough team. The final score was 3-1. I scored an awesome one off a corner and nailed another one in the top right hand corner. Then Ryan RB (Ryan Boles) scored another one. This meant that we were through to the semis. At the semis we won
2-1. We were through to the finals! The team that we were playing
Was relatively easy. We had beat them 5-3 earlier in the season. The final score was 6-1 and ryan scored 2 and I scored one. We had won! And we got this huge trophy that was over 2 and one half feet! Here is a picture of it with my other past trophies:

Link: www.footytube.com/profile/ciankc#/profile/ciankc?e...

The coolest thing is that the guy on our trophy is doing a bicycle kick!
Yes! Yes! It has the footytube Pro+ logos on it! Well done mate that is amazing. Nothing like that in my trophy cabinet!
Yah! We are the champions!
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Simpley awesome. I got a few medals. But they aint nothing compared to your trophy. And lol the only trophy I got is a tennis one haha
Borg (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I remember one of my favorite memories was during my first year on the varsity team. We were playing our big rival and they are a class above us because we have a smaller school and we hadnt beat them in several years. It was a freezing fall day in Minnesota and you could see the warm breathes of air out of everyones mouths. We were down 2-1 and the coach decided to sub me in. It was only my 2nd or 3rd time playing on varsity since I was so young and I was really nervous since we were playing our rivals and they were tough. I laced up my nikes tight and rolled my socks up to the knee. I was playing left wing and I got a ball played outside to me on the corner of the 18. I faked a shot, cutting in right. I saw the keeper was a little out of his goal and chipped it cheekily right over him into the right side netting. Its one of those instant feelings that just can't be described when you realize youve just scored. I'll never forget that moment. We ended up tieing 2-2 and I earned my place on the team throughout that year and gained to the trust of my teammates.
It really is the beautiful game...
Omar (Arsenal) 5 years ago
It's an amazing feeling, when you don't believe you've scored. Must have felt amazing, especially since that determined your place on the team!
Omar (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Alright, so I'm going to share what happened to me on Saturday during my Church Retreat.
So we ended up playing a 4v4 game. We started horribly. 3 goals is what we conceded. It seemed every time we would score, they would score 2 more! They finally got 7 goals in, while we had 5. They had a run where they were about to score, buy my keeper finally got a hand on it. He sent it to the man in front, who took on 2 defenders but couldn't get out. When we would get a chance to shoot, we would always try to blast it past the keeper, only to be denied every time. So my teammate finally saw me running up from the defence, as I was in a defenders position, and cross it toward a free area. Instead of running straight ahead and monstrously shooting forward with no sense of direction, I let the ball bounce. I then quickly moved to my left, sending the ball in front of my about 7 feet. I was able to out run the defender (which is a miracle), and didn't blasted, but placed myself to the left side of the ball and quickly, but strongly sent it into the near post (it was actually a bag), just past the keeper. I later realized I was sort of luck, as I was almost at a 90 degree angle when I shot the ball. We ended the game with a 14-9 scoreline. We lost, but my goal was the best one!
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Essex League Cup Semi Final. Naww kidding. This was a frendley game againts some new team that newely joined the league. I was playing cendral defencive position (the mashcerano position lol) this kid, huge kid run up to me and passed me, I went down to slide tackle him. I got the ball and in doing this he fell on top of me. I was seriousley winded. And had dislicated my right shoulder. I was rushed to hopsital as the pain was too much to bare.

In the hospital I was on some drug. Aspinal or something. The next day a couple of friends came to the hospital to visit me. I told one of them to switch the fan on. The stupid moron switched off the drug machine thing and not noticing he did so he left it like that. I didn't feel no diffentence at the time.

They all left and I was sleeping at this time. I woke up around 12 oh clock in the night, I was screaming in agony (I swear TO GOD THIS IS THE worst PAIN I EVER WENT through) the nurse rushed in and switched the machine back on.

I was lucky to be alive lol
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
They didn't just pop it back in?! When I popped my shoulder out in soccer, some trainer just thumped it right back into the socked haha. You must have really shredded it!

How is it now?
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Its Good Now. I dunno. I believe the women tried to pop it back in but I moved around to much. Loool I didn't want to feel the pain. So yeah they drugged me to sleep. Then in the morning I had this itch on my arm. I tried moving it.... It freaking hurt. Then I realised the shoulder was back in position haha I was outstanded I didn't feel a thing when I was sleeping
BuckMcDancer (Manchester United) 4 years ago
My Lowest Moment In Football:

This incident happened last year, and was definitely the worst moment in my football career. I'm Irish and play right or centre back for my local club Buttevant A. F. [C.] I was playing U-17 at the time and had started the season really well, playing in five games and winning 3, but a poor performance saw me drop to the bench for 2 games.

On my return to the starting line-up I really wanted to impress, and started with a load of energy. In the first 15 mins I was everywhere, making tackles, heading, running around like a headless chicken. My confidence grew as the minutes past until I went in for a slide tackle on 20 mins. It was a tough challenge, I won the ball but felt the full force of my opponents studs scrape across my knee. At first, I felt Fine, got up and that's when it hit me, my knee was in serious pain. The coach asked if I was ok to continue and I shouted I'd walk it off.

The strange thing was that I never looked at my knee, til the sideline alerted me. I was horrified by what I saw, there was a large gash across my knee. It was cut deep and I knew it was from the previous challenge. His studs must have really done some damage. Straight away I went done and later had to hobble off the pitch, using my team mates for support. My father took me to the hospital and I had six stitches and was out for 2 months. The depressing thing was that I missed about 8 games. I was back at the end of the season, but struggled to make it back into the team
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Sorry to hear this. It must have been the adrenalin keeping you going and not noticing the pain. Six stitches!
BuckMcDancer (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Strangest Game I Have Ever Played In!

It was at the start of this season away at a team called Coachford. It was in August and it was the hottest day of the year, no clouds just sun. The game started at a lively pace, and we dominated the first 15 mins, going 3 up. But they got a goal back, the ball flicked over the keeper. I sprinted to the line but was only centimeters away from clearing off the line. They netted another 2 mins later. We started to feel the pressure, but luckily scored at the other end to make it 4-2. We were glad to hear the half time whistle as we were scorching and knew it was only going to get hotter.

The second half kicked off and after a scrappy 10 mins, they scored, a slice of luck, a big deflection made it 4-3. The players were starting to tire and mistakes were slowly finding there way into the game. A long punt down field found our in-form striker, who netted his 4th of the game, to make it 5-3.

That wasn't the end of the action, as their striker (who also had a hat trick), scored an absolute screamer, making it 5-4. Within minutes we were behind! A towering header from their captain made it 5-5 all and another quick strike made it 5-6. We had to push for a equalizer, and found it with 15 mins to go, a tap in for our captain meant it was level....

But that wasn't the end
We went ahead with 6 mins to go 7-6 and just had to hold on, but they netted again somehow. With a minute to go I made a driving run from left back (my least favourite pos) and squared it to my teammate, but he sliced it wide, his hands planted on his head. Final score 7-7, in a game I don't think I'll ever witness again.... Imagine if it we made it 8-7
Scottie (Manchester City) 4 years ago
Best goal

I played a lot of football between the ages of 8 and 17, I could be out training or playing in a match 6 days a week - it got to a stage where I was playing for my school, my sunday team, and my town.

I was center half, pretty fast and solid and occasionally a bit of a donkey, a bit like Richard Dunne. So being at the back goals didn't come too often....

Except this one Sunday, we were playing one of the better teams in the league and we were losing 1 - 0, when the ball came loose in our own half, and rolled in front of me....

I just looked up and saw this vision of the top left corner and knew what to do, I didn't even twat it or lob it, I side footed it and pinged it from in my own half and like a bullet it went exactly where I was looking straight into the back of the net.

It was easy 65 yards, amazing, talk about hitting the sweet spot

I can still see in my peripheral vision, the site of the distant goalie - jumping into life, albeit much too late and his arms frailing everywhere hehehe

It ended up 1 - 1, so it was a bit of a result!
StadeNyonnais (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I have had many ups and downs in my young footballing carreer.
The first big thing I can remeber was about 5-6 years ago, I was 9-10 playing for my local side in france, it was 7 a side football vack then, and I was the best player on my u10 team, so halfway through the season, where I was scoring 3-4 goals almost every match, the coach of the u12 team told me to go and play with them, this was great for my football, I think that the rest of that season really was what made me love football as much as I do, I was playing with alongside my friends older brothers and I was as good as them. I was on the starting lineup, on thw wing. We won the league. We went to a tournement that regrouped the best 16 teams from our region and a few teams from switzerland and 1 from italy, we won our first two games in the groups and then drew 1-1 to the italian side, we got through into the quarters, and we won, we won our semi final and we were in the final. Against the italian team! Within 3 minutes of the final starting we were down 2-0 and looked like we had no way of coming back. Lucky for us the match was 2x 12 mins, we were still 2 down at half. In the second half, I was asked to play in defence and they put a defender on the wing. I played one of the best halves of my liefe, shuting out there best attackers, I saved a shot of the line and cleared down the field, the ball bounced over their central defender and our attacker jumped out of nowhere to lob it over the keeper, 2-1, theree mins to go. We pressurized them and almost scored when there keeper had to turn it onto the bar and out for a corner. I insisted on going up, but the other defender got prioroty as he was taller, the corner came in and he leeaped over the defence and headeered the ball into the back of the net, we all went crazy, the ref had said that it was the last corner, and we scored, we had forced extra time. In the extra time we were unstoppable, we got 3 goals in the 2x3mins period, we won the tournement, we were so happy, we had gone all season undefeated, our coach bought us all a pizza and we all went home with smiles on our faces.
That was my fondest memory of playing for that french team, at the end of the season we moved into switzerland, and I was forced into a big summer transfer, I was the big summer siging for the stadenyonnais u12 team, stories of my experience at stadenyonnais will follow soon
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Everyday I go to the soccer field that is just a few blocks from my house to practice soccer. No matter the season, the weather, or if anyone comes with me, its just what I do, so long as there isn't more than a few cm's of snow on the ground like there is now.... Not happy about that.

But anyways 2 summers ago I went out on my own, and saw two teams show up just as I got there. Now where I live we have alot of immigrants from mexico because we have more greenhouses in this one town than in all of north america, and all of these greenhouses employ people from mexico. So I see all of them come out of their cars, many with pants, regular shoes, and just plain t-shirts. Then the other team gets out of their cars wearing very nice adidas jerseys and wearing all of the newest cleats (and I mean that). Both teams were all players in their 20's, and I was only 14 at the time but I figured I would ask the mexican team if they would let me play since I wouldnt be able to use the field anyways. That's when I realized none of them could speak english (usually the immigrants can speak a little bit of english but none of these ones could, I guess I was lucky to be able to speak a little bit of spanish). They let me, and when they asked me where I play, I said in the middle (didn't know how to say midfield) and so when we were kicking the ball off they were sorta waiting for me to come and do it and wanting me to play striker. I'm sure all of you can see how this is going already .

So we start the game, and I'm slightly confused now seeing as I'm not sure where I was supposed to play, and when I had confirmed that I was indeed the ONLY striker, I started to settle into the possition. You see, though these guys didn't have the best of equipment, they were organized. And I mean really, really organized. It was pretty evident that we were playing a 4-3-3 and on several occasasions I could simply assume where my teamates should be and pass there without even looking and it would get to my players basicly every time. After about ten minutes I felt like part of their team. I had gotten to understand their lingo's, and they had started to understand mine. After a few more minutes, I think they started to make me central to their play, as almost every pass was sent to me during any sort of attack. I really enjoyed the role I have to say, as I played more of a playmaking cf than a true striker, allowing the two wingers to make runs into the middle that I would send through balls to almost everytime. And many of them were successful to my surprise as well. After about 20 minutes I even got our first goal. After a bit of buildup play, I backheeled to one of our midfielders (one of those instances where I didn't even have to look for where they would be) and made a run into the box. When I looked up the ball had already gone to the winger who sent a cross in just as I was at the penalty spot. It wasnt the best of crosses. It was just about to land right in front of the near post about 3 yards from the line. But somehow I reached it by sliding in and sent the ball into the roof of the net with the keeper helplessly standing over me.

That would end up being our only goal, however we were able to hold on to our lead until the last ten minutes of the match when the players on my team were quite obviously beyond tired. They werent the most fit of people. I don't think many of them were used to running a whole 90 minutes. We lost 3-1, but I have never enjoyed a game so much. And this was the experience that made me realize that this really is the worldds game; that you don't need to know the people your playing with, nor the language they speak. All you need is to know football, and so long as you know that, you can succeed anywhere with anyone, and make some real friends in the process
That is an absolutely brilliant story. Thank you for that and thank you for resurrecting this topic. I have to say I have very rarely played on a team where I can instinctively know where the other players will be. That's some level of organisation needed.

More stories and memories folks!
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
As a goalie, I often wondered how it feels to score a game winning goal, or an important goal for that matter (I've done PK's, when my teams had secure leads, but that was not it). Not many were lucky to have that experience, and I imagined many times that moment; the goal, the emotions, the celebration.

In late November, of my junior year at Dowling (NY), my college team played conference finals. As a defending NCAA National Champions, we needed a win to secure spot in national tournament, and opportunity to defend our title. Rain was pouring that afternoon, which meant fancy football was out of the question. From the kick off it was a well fought battle, throughout the whole game. Game was not pretty, but still action packed, as it can be when ball is bouncing unpredictably off the wet surface. First half was marked by our finishing, and rival's dominance. Even though opposition were far more dangerous, Green and Yabba managed to bag two goals and give us a solid lead heading into the second interval. In the second half we turned to defence, which allowed our opponent to take control over the game. Again they were creating chances, and they scored a goal with ten minutes left. Good old box packed with defenders paid out though, and we left the field triumphant.

As far as I am concerned, I got many memorable moments from this game. Along side with winning conference title and progressing to the national tournament, I received MVP of the tournament award for my contribution in preserving our lead (awards I received later that night at the celebrating party will not be discussed on this occasion). But there is one moment I will cherish more than any above mentioned. Some twenty minutes into the game, with the scoreline favoring us one to nil, I picked up a swinging cross from the corner. With most of the on-field players concentrated in my box, I rushed with the punt in order to find isolated striker Junior up top. With more power in it than planned, ball was dropping towards the edge of the opponent's box and goalkeeper was rushing out confidently to pick it up. Than unexpected happened, outcomes you only see in those funny footy videos. Ball bounced of the wet grass and skipped over a goalie, heading towards the right bottom corner. Crowd went silent, so did everybody on the field. That second, or bit more, truly seemed like eternity. With my sight covered by the players, I was not able to clearly see the ball reaching the goalmouth. Nevertheless I got my hands up in the air ready to celebrate, so did the majority of my teammates. Next moment some of them jumped in the air, which was sign for me it went in. In God knows what part of the second everything went mute, this was moment I waited for all my footballing career, and than the sound, sound I will remember forever I believe. Sound of the leather football hitting the metal goalpost. F*@#&!G post! To make it even worse, Junior ran onto the rebound and missed empty net from close range. From exhilaration to despair, in one second. Adrenalin rush only football game can bring us, I believe. With the action carrying on, It was not till the after the game I actually had time to realize how close I came to make one of those small, but still important, dreams come true. Interestingly enough, next season there was similar situation, but this time ball went of the goal some five yards.

However, here I am still standing on the line trying to prevent what brings the most joy to football fans from happening, dreaming I will get the chance to be a creator for once, instead of spoiler
What a fantastic story - thank you for that! Agony! You sometimes see keepers taking free kicks and penalties, and even running up for corners when the game is desperate. Perhaps ask your coach that if you are winning by a huge amount, can you take a penalty?
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 4 years ago
I did, several times, but putting away those is not the same like bagging one when score is on the line!
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 4 years ago
We were down 4-0 in the last 5 minutes, scored 2, the first goal, and in the last 10 seconds!
I also scored the assists. It was also the game that put us on top of the ladder. 3 league games left before knockouts, and even if we lose them all, we'll still be in the knockouts. Hope we win them all, (BTW we won that game 5-4) I'll post a full paragraph on our next game, and my training!
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Lol looks like your getting back on track! You weren't scoring too many goals before lol. Can I come to watch your next game since I'm not playing this season?
Well I'm not playing this season, but anyways this was my best momment in one of my soccer matches, it was in 2008 team Red (yes I know very weird) under 11 div 1 girls. I was playing right wing and we were loosing 2-0 and the opposing team where about to score a gooal but then I came in from the right and took the ball of her and nuttied (I hope that's how you spell it) her and ran with the ball pass all the players and up to the penalty box, then I rainbow flipped it over the defender! (I was sooo amazed by this!) and scored a goal! Then after about 5 minutes I scored another goal and then one of my friends scored a goal. AyyamS5 was there watching me because he had his game on the same oval except when his game ended mine started
The most goals I've scored in just one game is 5. We won 5-0 aswell, but I wouldn't have been able to do it without the good help from my team mates! I was playing attack and the team were so easy well there defence is the goalie was prett good because she saved a few that were pretty hard! I would have scored like 8 goals if she didn't save them!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football