Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Share Your Real-life Footy Playing Stories: Best Goal, Biggest Win, Injuries
Ben (Arsenal) 5 years ago
My team entered the Red Bull tournament again this year with the high hopes of retaining the trophy we won last year. We got absolutely stunned our first game and lost 4-1.... Even thought we bounced back and won the next 2 games, we were eliminated because of (1) goal difference. Oh well, there is always next year

The high of my footy career came when I was 12, my u-15 club team went on to win the regional title and I scored the winning penalty, being the youngest and one of the best at the time meant a lot to me.... Oh the memories.... Ever since moving the US, i've been riddled with injuries left and right.... I feel like michael owen in a smaller scale.

Great thread by the way Ant
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
This is a great thread. I've actually spent about 30 mins reading all the stories. The staff should lock this or make it permanent for others to share their footballing experiences
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Thanks Yombe. I love to hear peoples football playing stories. I've been involved in football all my life so I have plenty of great memories.

If anyone else has any interesting memories of playing football, recently or a long time ago, please post them here! They can be funny, exciting or just interesting in some way.

Examples might be:
* Barely winning an important game
* Missing a penalty or scoring an own goal
* Terrible injury
* Some piece of skill or great goal you performed
Xybati (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I joined a 7-aside tournament and I will always remember. I am qualify to next round if 'A' team win 'B' team less than 5 goals. The game was played in 15 minutes total. The result is 5-0, could you belief it? The last goal was 'B' team keeper come out to half way and dribble.... What a F.... This is because 'B' team dun want my team to qualify.... At that year on, I never take part of the tournament anymore
Tarekzizou15 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Well for me its weird i've always liked soccer but it was never my number one until I was 13 (I'm now 17) i've always played but these past two to three years i've greatly improved on july 18 2009 my amatuer team the rangers were in the semi final for the star cup I have always played sweeper and right back for the club and this game the coach told me I was to play right wing second half and Forward the last 15 min of the first well I played those positions before but just in meaningless games I was determined to do something and in 70th minute (out of 75) I had entered the 18 yard box and whizzed a shot to the far post from the left side it was definantly my best game because I had good defence and I scored a late goal to win the game
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Alright reading all these stories has got me itching to put up one of my own.

I've loved football ever since I could actually remember things. I guess it's part of being African (you're born with a football). But due to my turbulent childhood, which included moving to Europe, moving to the States, and then moving to a different state, I never got the opportunity to play for a real until I was about 10. So here I am this skinny kid with the weird name showing up to play football having never truly played before. Good right?

Anyway, my dad took me to the park to ask a coach he knew to put me on the team. Of course, I'm nervous to meet a bunch of kids who'd been playing since they were five. The coach told me to play defence and see how it goes from there. I got out on the field and managed to play alright (and by that I mean kicking the ball as far away as possible). But it wasn't until the coach told me to play goalkeeper that I felt something.

During the next 20 mins which felt like 2 hrs to me, I stopped every single ball that came at me somehow. I did it all, kicking, tackling, blocking, and even pushing another kid down flat not knowing you weren't allowed to. By the end of it all I felt like a pure happiness oozing through my body. It's that feeling that I will treasure as long as I live.

Funny thing is, I never played keeper again; moving to midfield and forward a couple seasons after
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Good story you should hop in at keeper for fun now and again. Like that Joga Bonito video where wayne rooney is playing goalie, haha he is a great keeper by the way, then comes up and puts in a goal. Then Tim Howard chips it over Rooney running back to get in goal after he runs up the whole field and scores its a hilarious video check it out
Hi all, if you have any other stories about something that happened to you while playing a match please let us know here. Was it a
* Great goal?
* Injury?
* Big Win?
* Nice piece of skill?
* Last minute winner?
* Agonising defeat?
Zishan07 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Ah, where to start. I've had a hell of a lot of footballing moments that are worth remembering, maybe even worth a spot in the footballing Hall of Fame for complete douchebags. I suck at football. And not even like 'oh, just a bad day' bad. I mean 'Heurelho Gomes playing after a night out drinking with the lads, wearing a blindfold' bad. But, I've got something that overshadows everything, namely a 20 yard volley, via a backheel, over my friends head. Well, I say friend. I mean former friend. He hated me after that, haha.
My little brother [who's epic at football, thankfully] is dribbling down the right, beats his man and finished it by sending a pretty poor cross in. It comes behind me, so I just stick a leg out and try and angle it towards goal. The end result - perfection.

Imagine that, from 20 yards out
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
It's a big shame it was only on the school field while we were having a kick about but it was my goal to remember, probably the best I ever scored.

It was one of those days where I was really enthusiastic, I just really felt like playing football. I'd had a great day already, even though we were only half-way through, and I don't just mean football. It was sunny, and warm, during the summer. I just really wanted to play football.

Well, maybe it was a bit unfair on the opposing team but all the times we played the teams like that (class vs class), they'd always seemed a decent challenge for us. The teams were normally like this:

MY team:
(Goalie) Connell Bishop
Paz Gayle
Yesudas Joseph
Joshua Bailey
Michal Maj
Munashe Samanyanga
Ben Fisher
Jaylen Robinson
Me
Joe Slaven

Their team:
(Goalie) Patryk Wypasek
Jarmarn Morgan
Damian Wisniewski
Lewis Rai
Michael Green
Blessing Matemera
Jamie Laird

It was just one of those days for me. It came right at the end, so I'd already made some decent passes, runs, some skilful moves and I could have got Man Of The Match at the point already. But the thing for me was to score a goal. It didn't normally happen due to the position I liked to play, still, I always played a part. I knew I could do it though, I mean, just the year before, our worst player, Yesudas Joseph (see above), who could literally not use his right foot to kick a football, thunderbolted one from our own half and scored a goal, as a defender. It was amazing and from then, I had to score one as good. It came nearly a year later but it was worth the wait. Jaylen lobbed it over one of the opposition to me (well, I assumed - I only really remember my part in the goal) and it bounced because of the grass, which was perfect for a football game. I know it was Jaylen, but it might have got deflected, I don't know. But anyway, the ball bounced infront of me and for some reason, I was there. The whole of myself just wanted to shoot. Bare in mind I was wearing school shoes, and it bounced on the left side of me, and if I'm honest, I wasn't that prolific in curving the ball with the outside of my right boot while it was bouncing. Still, the goal I scored was better. I forgot about my surroundings, and I didn't even have a glance at the goal, which made it even more special. What was good is that I just knew in my mind where the goal was. What I didn't know, was where the goalie was. I just kicked it with my weaker foot, my left foot, and Patryk was off his line. The ball did it itself, and it curved from the outside of my left foot. Now, like I said, I'm not even good at doing that with my right foot. When I saw the ball go up in the air and drop down beyond Wypasek (Patryk), I was stunned. What a goal, I thought. It was reasonably near but I would give it goal of the season. No-one celebrated, I barely did either, because I was so shocked.

It was just unbelievable. That was the best goal I have ever scored in football. And may I remind you.

Left Foot (I'm right footed)
In my school shoes
Outside curving
Lob
About 15 yards out
You'll probably remember that goal for the rest of your life. Incredible stuff. I think wearing school/formal shoes can help in that kind of situation, strangely. The different angles and hardness of the shoes can cause the ball to swing wildly around
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I know, seriously, they have some sort of technique!
ACMilan21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Well I don't really have a long story to tell, but we won a game two weeks back 14-0. It was freezing cold (in Switzerland), and a great game. Only problem is that I'm a central defender....I played about 75 minutes about 30 in the first and 45 in the second, and in Central Defence. I did almost nothing throughout the whole game, and by the 60th minute, me and the other central defender were actually competing as two who got to go up for the corner so that we would have something to do. Anyways, great game and great team....
This previous story was with my school team.

This Saturday I was supposed to have the last match of the season with my club team.
We were in 3rd place with 15 points. The team ahead of us had already finished their season with 18 points, so we had a game in hand. The team behind us had the same number of points as us, but we had a better Goal Difference. The team in 5th place had only 12 points but were playing the last in the table, and they had a better goal difference. We absolutley had to win if we wanted to get promoted into a higher league. Problem was, we were going to play the first in the table, and it wouldn't have been easy. We had absolutley had to win, or else we would stay in this league, and that is not at all what we wanted.
Everyone was ready to go....
Unfrotunatley the match was post-poned due to rain, but is set to take place Wed. Or Thurs. Of this week. If we win we are up!
Here is the full table:

Link: www.football.ch/acvf/fr/verein.aspx?v=1076...
Click 'Juniors be 2e Degre' under equipes to follow our team.
You may not find it intense, but for a 15 year old to move up a league is a big deal....

Also biggest injury. Last year, we had a match against a team called La Cote Sports. It was a great match, and we only barley won.
However somewhere in the middle something happened that shocked me more than Edouardo Da Silva's injury. An injury on the other team by one of our players. About 15 minutes into the second half a boy named Jonas went in for a slide tackle at full speed. The attacker was coming straight at him, and Jonas missed the ball completley, and got the guys leg instead. He broke through the shin pad, and snapped the guys Fibula approximatley where his lateral malleolus is. It was horrible to watch and the boy was rushed to the hospital. Jonas got away with just a yellow, because it wasn't intentional in any way....He now plays attack, because the coach figured that we could harvest his power for something useful such as shooting, rather than killing
Let us know how the game goes
Thanks so much!  It has been postponed until Monday though...
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
So it's today? Hoped you guys get a win!    Even by hearing what you said for the injury thing, it gives me chills, great story though
I just realised that I forgot to answer....
Anyways, we tied 2-2, and came 4th.... The autumn season is over, but hopefully we can win in the spring!
Aeaglan (AC Milan) 4 years ago
This thread is great, but I don't really know which story to mention. I have had so many memorable games, and they weren't only memorable for wins, but also injuries, close calls, and really really tough defeats. The bizarre thing that I JUST noticed as I wrote this, is that all these games took place in semi-finals.

Rewinding back to my high school days, I used to play for my club in Alexandria, Egypt. I participated in many tournaments, but the one that really stands out was the annual 'Ramadan' 6v6 competition. The setting is a small, clay-floored stadium, crowd capacity was about 200-500 max. We went on to win that tournament, but it was the semifinal game that was most memorable. The game is tied 2-2 with only a minute to go, our defender clears the ball which floats right over me as I make the run down the middle. In front of me is their lone central defender, and the goalie, I somehow managed to flick the ball slightly to the right just after it took it's first bounce, I timed it, then I smashed the volley with about 16-18 yards out into the top right corner. Game-winner!

Fast Forward to University days in Canada, I'm playing in the varsity team. Semi final game (Again). The game is tied 1-1, we go into penalties. I think I was about the 8th or 9th kicker, I step up, shoot the penalty.... Somehow I saw that slow motion, but I smashed the ball right down the center of the goal. The ball beat the goalie, but rattled the crossbar, bounced off the top of his head, then landed into his hands.... We lost.

The following year, same setting. We were winning 2-0, and about 5 minutes after half time, I receive a shoulder barge, right in the chest, by some idiot who probably thought he was playing ice hockey at the time. I am on the ground with considerable pain for about 30 seconds, then I pick myself up and continue playing. 5 minutes later, I can no longer take a breath, and I was rushed to the hospital. I suffered a collapsed lung, but thankfully I did not require any surgery or staples in my chest. Later on I was told that we lost the game 4-2.

That was then and there, the end of my professional football career. I refuse to play anymore professionally in Canada because this wasn't the first time I was on the receiving end of a ridiculous and dangerous tackle. In Ice Hockey, you can make full-speed body checks, but what most players here get confused about is that in hockey, you're also wearing 20lbs protective gear. I never once got into a serious injury playing professionally in Egypt. But here in Canada, I have managed to wreck both ankles, suffer a concussion from a literal-mid air close line, and finally that collapsed lung. I had to say enough is enough
Wow, excellent stories and I know exactly what you mean about slow motion sometimes happening when you shoot. Sorry to hear about the injuries. One of my friends here in NZ has a collapsed lung and he still plays semi regularly so it doesn't have to be the complete end of football
Thanks Ant. I still try to play every now and then, . But truth be told, ever since I moved to Toronto, I have yet to meet anyone that has even the slightest interest in football. I would relish the chance for any sort of pick up or meet ups anywhere, anytime. I even tried the meet up section in these forums, and I don't think anyone replied
Check your wall
Ltm017 4 years ago
The other day I was reminded of playing a full match with only 9 players.... What could be more horrific....

First what a undependable team members I had. Didn't show up for the match instead they were probably cruising around town enjoying the afternoon sun.

Anyways the worst part about it was that I had to cover the whole entire right side. And we lost of course but at least it wasn't a complete blow out or anything. To think that we only conceded three goals to a team we usually lose against that was pretty good.
We won a tournament game 12-1 today about an hour ago, quite a fun kick-around. I even played in goals for about fifteen minutes. I scored a lovely goal too. I was moving diagonally in towards their goal, and everyone was backing off expecting the pass. I spotted a chance, so I whacked the ball and curled it right into the bottom corner of the goal nearest me, in off the post. No-one got near it, and it was in the net by the time the keeper saw it
Wow man 12-1 is quite the win.... Are you sure you weren't playing against a special olympics team? Lol out of all the years of playing, I have never seen a game that lasted 90 minutes and seen more than 10 goals. Well done though, respect!
I don't know if they were special olympics, perhaps paralympics?

I forgot to mention it was only a 30 minute game! It was indoor football though, so quicker and easier to score goals. Still, 12-1 is a score I was very happy with. We've won two and lost one (6-5) so far. The team that beat us are looking good to win the tournament
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
So my 2nd story....

My senior year, playing my last game in our Conference tournament, we had a game against the team ranked I believe 6 or 7th in the state. Our squad weren't really given much of a chance, but we knew we were good. Anyways....

We kicked off first and we're getting pummeled in the back. SPA (the team we were playing) just had shot after shot after shot. I was getting frustrated, because as a forward, and captain, I wasn't getting enough touches on the ball, and we were not possessing the ball at all. I began to track back for the ball and we finally got some touches. We made it about 40 yards out from their goal, the ball is with a teammate on the sideline, he split two defenders, made a pass to me at the top of the box, I slipped the ball around a defender, stumbled a bit and took an off balance shot. Somehow it careened its way into the bottom right corner of the goal. SPA was shocked and we went crazy. For the next 50 minutes (goal was scored around the 15 minute mark) we battled hard in the back, when at the 65th minute they got a goal. Two minutes later we got another. I was livid at this point, but a moment I'll never forget for the rest of my life was about to happen. I was on the mid field line, the ball was cleared from our half and I trapped it down to my feet while holding a defender off on my back. I slipped it through his legs and took off as fast as I could run. I cut across the mouth of the goal to the left, and thought about taking a shot, I didn't. I kept going, got to the end line and cut it back, once I cut it back, I had my legs swiped from underneath me in the box, no call. I was livid, as was my coach. We ended up losing that game, but I still can't help but feel it was my fault. I could have hit the ball with my toe and scored, but I chose to attempt to draw a PK or hold up for help. I've regretted the decision ever since.

I really miss playing for a school or for a reason. Its not the same playing for a random squad. I miss the elation of scoring a goal for supporters, and bringing glory to a school.
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
This fall season, our team was undefeated, and we scored at least 3 goals every game. RyanRB (ryan boles) was our top scorer, but I came in second. The only downside was that I had osgood schlatters (knee disease involoved with growing) pretty much the whole season, so I couldn't play as hard as I could have
Johnbull (Millwall) 4 years ago
THe best goal I scored or at least the most memorable one was in the semi-final of the McConville Cup against a team called Quay Celtic, the final was to be played in Oriel Park which is Dundalk FC's home ground in Ireland, a proper football ground with terraces, stands, hot showers, the works, doesn't sound great now but at the time for a young lad it was the business. The ref awarded us a free-kick, just outside the box, and told me that this would be the last kick of the half. I'm sure you can guess what happened next, I curled the ball right into the top corner, leaving the keeper grasping at thin air. Our fans went crazy. We went on to win the match 2-1 but we got hammered in the final 5-2, never mind, we were never supposed to get that far anyway, we were the small-time boys from the country, but we still had a great day out, the club motto was "win or lose Mellifont booze. "

Kick4Life - changing lives through football