Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Share Your Real-life Footy Playing Stories: Best Goal, Biggest Win, Injuries
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Today was an interesting day for me. I've got a team entered in a local 5-a-side indoor football tournament. There were ten teams involved all together and the tournament consisted of nine league games and a final match of 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th etc to decide placings.

We had gone through the league stage unbeaten, with the best defensive record and were proud to have earned a place in the finals. Due to the fact that we were playing in the match that would ultimately decide the winner, we were scheduled after everyone else had played and a decent amount of people were on the sidelines of the court (the tournament was played on an indoor basketball court). Note also that when we played the other team in our final during the league stage, we beat them five-nil.

I have no idea what happened. We played like headless chickens. We eventually lost 4-1 but the goals.... Oh, the goals. One goal went in from distance through two pairs of legs. Another hit the back wall and bounced off the hapless keepers ass, right into our net. One of our players was redfaced, yelling and screaming and trying to micromanage every single attack (Hold it! Hold it! Ok, pass it PASS IT NOW.... NOW!) and it just wrecked any flow we might have had.

Needless to say after the match, I was the proud owner of a laminated piece of card that read "runners up 2009" and had to bitterly watch the other team jumping around for the winners photos. I have the award sellotaped to my desk in work to remind me.

Next year, it's ours.

--------------------------------------

Let us know your highs and lows, your best and worst moments playing football here. Injuries, great goals, crazy refs, streakers, tell us your stories!
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
I would post the whole story on here, but it would be too long, and most importantly, too amazing
So here's the link.........

Link: dariusburtin.xanga.com/678484191/big-save-big-win/...

Wow!
What a game!
I'm most definitely am going to remember this for the rest of my life.
So here's the lowdown. Since we lost on Tuesday to Civic Memorial, we played for the third place game against Alton High School in the Alton Tournament.
Hype Baby!

Rainy day today as well. I was not even sure if we were even going to play today.
But anyways, it did rain from third hour on (four class periods a day) and when we got there we were relieved to see them warming up because Alton is in Illinois and takes us almost an hour to get there!

First Half:
It was freezing today! It steadily rained throughout the first half and the wind blew like a category three hurricane. So uncomfortable.
We would all stand up or sit down together just to stay warm.
Okay, they score the first goal. Horrible defence. We are starting to get a tendency of not coming out strong.
Anyways, then we score.
Then, Alton scores again to lead 2-1 before the half. Fred gave up the same goal that he did against Lutheran North ("Bad Start, Okay Finish").
Coach was fed up so he put me in again for the next half.

Second Half:
Alright so now I'm in.
Freezing my gluteus maximus off.
Not really.
I warmed up with Fred for a couple of minutes before I went out, but still felt a little bit chilly.
Back to the game.
Shots were taken.
Corners attempted.
Whatever.
Although on one possession that Alton had, they attempted to chip it over the back line.
It was successful.
But I had gotten to it knowing one of their midfielders was coming right towards me.
I secured the ball, he ran into me and fell on his tail, while I stood over him looking at him. I just can't let him trample me! I'm 6'3"!
Talk about instilling fear.
Other than that pretty solid for a keeper like myself.

Overtime.......Again!:

First half was nothing special for real.
I got a couple of saves and that was it.
But the second half was amazing!
Okay, so they cross it into the box, one of their players heads a dart in and it land right near me.
And the second one, SAVE OF THE YEAR!
Alton's player is literally 5 yards away from me, kicks it to far post, and with my great reflexes I put my left hand out and it goes out to one my defence men, Eric, (An incredible freshman by the way) who is right in front of me. He wasn't able to settle it so I fell on it.
Now, with 28 seconds left in the half before it's time to take PK's, Abel has it with yards in front of him on the left side. Tommy, our other striker, yells "25 Seconds!"
He goes down, gets it through a couple of defenders and lays it out to Tommy.
They switch places in the process.
Meanwhile, the goalie comes out and Tommy lays it across the box to Abel who knocks it in!
With four seconds left on the clock!
What a relief!
We got third place!
Should have been second or first though.
Well anyways feeling good.
Two straight wins for me with no goals allowed
Nice story. Interesting to hear one from the point of view of a goalkeeper
Thanks a lot. Sometimes fans, and players too, tend to underestimate the high levels of difficulty it takes to be a 'keep. I'm glad you appreciated it.
Ltm017 5 years ago
I tell people all the time. I think keeper is one of the hardest positions to play
Highburykev (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I am a keeper and def the hardest of the lot.... Sounds like a great game!
Rogue4341 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Keep is the hardest, your either the hero or the scapegoat. Doesn't matter that someone had to screw up for the ball to get to you in the first place its always the keeps fault. Love playing the position though
Heres one about another memorable moment in a match I've played. I remember as a schoolkid, we used to play full matches on a proper pitch in my hometown, with referee and all the proper stuff. For a small town, we had a decent football club so everyone was into footy.

At one point during a game, I was just inside my own half at the right hand side of the pitch and looking for someone to pass to. Everyone was being closely marked so I had the choice of moving up or staying put because the pass wasn't on really. No-one was closing me down though for some reason. I noticed the oppositions goalie was at the edge of his box yelling at defenders. It was one of those moments whereby I would either look like a total fool or it would be something special. I tapped the ball forward a yard, ran and thumped it up, up, over everyones heads and curling nicely towards the goal. I had no idea if it was on target because its hard to judge aim and distance from that far back, but I saw the keeper scrambling backwards and the ball dropping. Just as the keeper leaped to touch it the ball fell beautifully into the back of the net, and so did the keeper. Absolutely everyone cheered, the opposition players all clapped and were smiling and my team mates came running over.

It wasnt an important goal by any means, but probably something I'll remember for a long time.

To show my age, it was roughly around the same time as the Nayim vs Arsenal classic and looked surprisingly similar, but I was even further back

Syraph (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Oh wow, I can only imagine. That's an insanely nice goal
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Was that You?
No, that wasn't me in the video if that's what you are asking, but the goal was similar. Mine was more like a goal kick though, off the ground, not a big hoofed half-volley like that
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Lol. Ant your amazing!

On a side note, didn't that happen to Seamen quite often? I seem to have seen a lot of ridiculously long chips sail over his head. Haha
[account-removed] 5 years ago
The same thing happened to me except the ball was bouncing out of play and just to keep it in from around the halfway line, I thumped the ball a mile high and the wind caught it nicely. As it spiraled above the hapless goalie and dropped into the net I was flat on my face after tripping over the oppositions bench. But I didn't care, like yours it didn't mean alot but it will stick with me as one of the flukiest goals il ever score
Senthil (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Oh that's cool mate!
MancYank (Manchester United) 4 years ago
At kick-off one game, the best player on my club team tells me to tap the ball forward because he was gonna' try to chip the keeper. The ref blew the whistle and I tapped the ball forward and my teammate smashed the ball like a pro over the keeper. We were up by one within ten seconds of kick-off! He went on to score more than two goals a game that season - a real player
Abepaih (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I have nothing special or glorious about my football story, so I'm gonna' tell how I fell in love with football. Believe it or not, I started playing football during 16. Before that, I play basketball. But around that time, I started to like football when I occasionally joined my friend watching EPL match. That time, I also decided that arsenal is a great team and gonna' be a fan of them. But still at that time, I play basketball every evening because I never play football and I think I'm gonna' be sucked.

Then I suffered cruciate ligament injury while playing basketball. This injury supposed to be a regular injury for football player, but I got it when I wasn't even started play football. Doctor said this injury could take up to 6 month to heal. And I didn't undergo the surgery treatment because it will be costly. I'm not from a rich family to begin with. So I just did the rehab by myself. Being on injury is such a pain in the arse. I'm an active type of person, and I can't do anything during evening. This injury has prevent me from jumping to hard like I used to do when playing basketball.

Long story short, after two/three month, I went to join my friend playing football. At that time, I can run, can pass, can shoot but not too hard and definitely cannot jump or react to the ball aggressively. My intention is to burn some sweat and have fun after such a long break. The best part of this story happen during this game. My team got a corner kick and I stayed outside the box because being in the box will make me jumping to fight for the ball. My friend lob the ball in and it flew right to me. Without thinking much, I just swung my foot and I happened to be the greatest volley ever in my life. But the ball didn't flew onto the net, instead it hit the post really hard. It was such a great feeling and I could never forget it. And because of that exciting feeling, I completely forgot about my injury. The injury became worse again after I react to chase the ball. And just like that, I fell in love with football. After such a long break and my foot is healed, I started to play football again until now.

My friends said that I'm a good defender. I'm fast and player couldn't pass me easily. I guess this is the result of my basketball experience. When I got into college, I get to play for a team and get to play in some tournament. Never won anything, but did won in matches(and lost too). But I have fun play football and I wouldnt know when I gonna' stop playing. Football is awesome, its the game that unite everyone after all.

And this is the first time ever I wrote this long. LOL. Pardon me with the bad grammar
Great story, thanks for writing it. Don't worry about length or grammar mistakes, it was cool.
Always love to hear how people got into football
Lol That relieves me. In that case, I guess I'll just revise my later post
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Had some few ups and downs while playing for my school, but nothing big yet....
I'm already admitted into a summer football camp, so I hope many stories will form from there....
Wish me luck
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Best of luck
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Mine my skool team entered a skool tournament. We won every game 4-0. But in the last game I scored the goal of the tournament. It was like from 20 meters and it went bottom corner. So I think that is my best story
Ok, got another one.

Link: dariusburtin.xanga.com/678355904/bad-start-okay-fi...

So we won today. 3-2 in overtime against Lutheran North. To tell the truth, we really should have mercy ruled them (to have that rule come into effect you have to have a 10 goal lead, thus ending the game). We came out like crap, expecting to beat them because they've won only one game this year. We've won 9. Big difference. Lutheran North scored first, then us, then North again to cap the first half summary. On the second goal, my fellow goalie, Fred, was out of position and attempted to punch it out but went into the goal. Horrible morale killer.

I came in the second half. I shut them out. Not to make it sound like I was Petr Cech or something. My back line defence was exceptionally better for me in the second half than it was for Fred in the first, though I had to keep bugging Rodney, our sweeper, to stay deep. All in all the time I spent in the second half was no different than any other game in goal. Oh! By the way, I'm a goalie if you haven't figured it out yet. There were a few corner opportunities, a really close free kick and a couple of long balls that I saved. Like I said, nothing amazing.

And finally.......Overtime. Not much to say. About two-and-a half to three minutes in, one of their players fouls ours about 22, 23 yards out on the left side of the field. Big opportunity. Okay, so there is four on the wall, pressure is on, and we all want to win. Our fantastic Ethiopian striker, Abel, was told by Coach Murray to take the shot. Tim and Brad (most of us call him Duke because it's his last name), our midfielders are up to take the dummy shots before Abel. Just a quick note, it's pronounced "uh-bell" not "a-buhl". So anyways, he takes the shot, fires it through the wall, left upper-ninety region. He kinda also had gotten help from the opposing keeper because from way across the field, it looked like to me he was still checking his wall. Game Over. I kissed the grass as always and then shook hands.

Feeling good now. Can't stop thinking about how talented Abel is. I forgot to add but in the first half, he literally undressed five of Lutheran North's players down the left line, THEN switched to his OFF FOOT (right foot because he is left footed just like me) and missed it off of the top post. By himself. Speechless every time he does it. Oh, yes, people, this isn't the first time. He does this every game. Trust me on this one, he's going to play professional some place, somewhere
Great story, this is the kind of stuff I was hoping for when I made the topic

But oh boy "in the first half, he literally undressed five of Lutheran North's players" - literally undressed them? That's quite a tactic!
Thanks a lot. Last season was great, hands down the best season I've been apart of.
Just wait till I tell about our game in the District semifinals.
Simply amazing.
We lost though.
But still a great game from a fan's perspective.
And lol I know it works every game. We never get carded for it either lol
Dali (Manchester United) 5 years ago
My story is not a favorite of mine, but definitely the most memorable.... I was only 14 years old.

I remember the day was really cold and we girls were shivering like crazy. The excitement was high, we were playing a really good team, but we had been training our butts off, and we knew we could handle them. Dressed in our crisp white and blue uniforms, I was ready! I was even more excited I was starting the game (up until then I was a favorite half-time substitute). My mom was in the stands with my little brother who was wailing about how cold it was; but they were there supporting me, I was ready to make them proud. Soon we were on the field and waiting for the first whistle. I made sure my head was nice and snug with a head cap I was wearing, pushed my long sleeve thermal wear up above my elbows, and did a couple of short stretches.... Let the game begin!

My position was right midfielder and I bolted far right (just like coach told me to) as soon as the whistle was blown. The game progresses, and we're not getting anywhere. The team is tougher than expected, and I remember the girls looking like boys. Seriously, no boobs or anything. They looked like blue gladiators in their dark blue jerseys and black socks. Either way, we keep trying to find a way to attack. It was near half time, in high school we only played 30mins, so it was either the 23rd or 24th minute. I remember attacking forward with the rest of the girls and having the ball fall to the opponent.

Angered at our loss of the ball, I remember absolutely flying into one of the opponents. Then I felt a huge POP! At first it didn't even hurt but then a wave of pain went through my body, and the next thing I know I was on the ground. I opened my eyes and saw the girl continue with the ball.... And still desperate, I tried to get up and follow her. But as soon as I tried to stand up, that wave of pain knocked me down again and now my tears started flowing. I was crying a waterfall. The pain was ridiculous. All I remember after that was my coach carrying me to the side lines and my mom hovering over me, and then my soccer was career basically over.

I had torn my ACL and had to get it repaired and my knee has never really been the same, but what gets me was how young I was. It still depresses me
Ltm017 5 years ago
Wow.... That's rough. I never got injured like some of the other girls did. And I never liked milk so I was always afraid I would break my bones or something. But I know what you mean.... Some of those girls look mean and just plain manly.... I only got injured twice once when I came in contact with one of the girls it was just bad. I got the air knocked out of me and I just fell to the floor.... And got up cause that's just what you do I tried to continue to play but the ref told me to get off for a while....

Yup they examined me later and told me I had a minor concussion.

"Seriously, no boobs or anything" I think its safe to say no other story will have that line in it! Sorry to hear about your knee, but thank you for writing the story. A lot of detail in there and I had to stop for a second at the bit where your leg went "pop"
Mohsink (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Mines got to be when we were playing a top rated team from our province and they scored really early into the game (5 minute mark?) after some shoddy defence from our boys. The weather was horrible though, we actually played through a hurricane and massive amount of gale winds. The game was almost cancelled because we could hear thunder and really dark clouds near by and the district let the ref decide. We needed a tie to go to win the City Cup and we finally got it in around the 87th minute. I was playing as an offensive midfielder and the opponent in front of me was dribbling really slowly so I came in from behind and slide tackled the ball away from him. I ended up kicking it to my own player and he passed it over to one of our wingers who was already running down the right side of the field. Me and the guy I passed to then ran ahead to support the winger and right as we get there, he puts in a low cross. At this point, all I hear is my team mate behind me yelling for the ball so I dummy it and let it go through to him. He then goes on to score in the bottom corner of the net and we're the best team in the City. It was only 1-1 but oh my, what a game!
Dali (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Gale force winds isn't to be messed around with. You guys had real determination to finish that game. If it were me, I would've hightailed off the field as soon as I heard thunder. LOL
I don't play around with storms
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
There was another one. My skool team played our skool rivals. And I was voted MOTC by my team mates. It felt good. I set up 2 goals
Monday. November 3rd, 2008.
We play Hazelwood Central in the District semifinals. We lost to them in overtime 4-3 earlier in the season, so we knew if we started out well we could beat them easily and advance our way to the Championship game.
We played a late game, so it started at around seven o'clock.
By the way the stands were pretty, well, really full. Not only were there fans from ours and Hazelwood Central's school, there were people staying from the previous match between McCluer and McCluer North (North won 2-0). The atmosphere was absolutely amazing.
Game starts off well. Shots fired. Corners taken. Fouls committed. The usual.
After a while, about 40 minutes in or so, Central ends up scoring.
The crowd goes wild and all the momentum is shifted to their side which carried on into halftime.
During the second half we felt beat. Neither defenses were letting up.
It was just back and forth, back and forth, and Central was fine with it as long as they had the lead.
Our bench looked like the "immediate family/next to kin" front pew at a funeral. It was pretty bad.
But, like always Abel finds a way to score.
Like I said, we all thought we were finished, with about only 7 minutes remaining.
We get a clearance out of our box, which goes to one of our midfielders, which whom sends it to Abel, and the rest is history. He dribbles through one defender and body feints to shake another two and he knocks it on in front of him.
With three defenders on his back, he races 30 yards down the field, and everyone else thinks that it is a lost cause because of the harassing physicality of the attempted tackles on Abel, so eventually we thought he would lose the ball.
But no!
He scores!
With 6 minutes remaining!
We were ecstatic, jumping around all over the bench. I think I might have hugged one of my fellow teammates about three times because I was so overcome with joy that I didn't care who was near me, I just hugged them!
End of Regulation.
On to Overtime.
I'm going to make this short and easy.
Hazelwood Central scores within the first 2 minutes, the same exact way we did the last match against them.
Sad ending to a great game, from the losers point of view.
We all cried like little babies because the season was over.
The end
"Our bench looked like the "immediate family/next to kin" front pew at a funeral. " that's a good one This Abel guy sounds like quite a footballer. You should get a clip on youtube
Yeah I wish. If we would have had videos, clubs would have been all over him lol Maybe I can get someone to videotape him next time I'm at a kick-around or something, but for now, all I have are pictures.

Here's the easy one to tell about.

I was playing on an indoor u17 team, and our match was against the 2nd best team in the league (obviously we were the best). Right off the kickoff I received the ball on the left side, dribbled a couple steps to my right, their defence backed off so I was like "WTF mate? " and took a hit. The ball went into the upper left corner. A few minutes later, while playing striker, I got the ball, turned and shot, and again, the ball went into the upper right corner. And again, a few minutes later, I got the ball, turned, nutmeged the last defender, chipped the keeper for my hat-trick in the first half. I was elated. I scored 3 with 15 minutes to go. Unfortunately, they scored 4 in the last 15 haha. So second half rolls around. I'm dribbling down the right sideline, and I chip the ball to the middle and a teammate heads it in. 4-4, and I've got 3 goals, and an assist. To make a long story short, I scored 2 more goals (the first I bounced off the wall, went around the defender, and ripped it into the net, the second I just kicked and it went into the lower right corner) in the next 5 minutes, but we were only up 6-4. The other team scored 3 more, and were up 7-6. My last goal, for my double hattrick, I got the ball alone with the goalie, turned, and just kicked it, and it went in. I scored 6 goals on 6 shots. We won't the game 9-7, and I had 6 of the 9 and 3 assists, involved somehow in every goal. 2nd best game ever for me. I'll tell the first some other time when I want to type a lot ha
Nice. I like how slyly you said that they came back within like 10 to 15 minutes lol I had to read it over again. And yeah that's an amazing game for anyone if you get a "double" hat trick.
It was really insane. I scored on only 6 shots. Some say Arshavin was just like me going 4 for 4. Lol
Some days I guess you can just do no wrong! Other days of course, not so lucky. Looking forward to the story of the best game you've played
Gerrard4ever (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Well my story dosent actually involve I playing in it, its about my school's football team. So I and my friends were really excited about joining the team. Our teacher/coach had told us that there would be three tryouts. All of us went for the three tryouts and we performed really good. Atleast I thought I was better than last yaer when I and my friends actually made it to the team.

Sadly I made a mistake in my first tryout, I scored a own goal. Since that moment I knew that I wouldnt make the team beacuse I scored an ownn goal. The own goal wasnt even a direct mistake by me. I was in the centere of the field and the guy on left side tried to pass it to the guy on the right of me. Instead of passing it to me he was trying to pass to the guy on the right so he just shot the ball towards me and I didn't have any time to move out of the way and ball ended up being in my own net. After that game I kept on telling my friends that I wouldnt make the team beacuse of that but they assured me that everybody knew it wasnt my mistake but the other guys beacuse he should have passed it to me not shoot at me. There assurance gave me a bit confidence and I went for the other two tryouts.

Those two tryouts were superb I had no own goals and I actually made a lot of blocks. After the last tryout we were told that the team list will be posted the next day on the coach's door. As always I was late for my first class so I didn't have an oppurtunity to look at the list myself but my friend had looked at the list. He told me I and couple of my friends were not on that list. I didn't believe him so I went to check it myself and to my surprise my friend wasnt lying. I wasnt in the team. I moved on thinking that i'll improve by next year to make it but what happend next really made me feel good.

The first match our team played they lost 6-0. The next match they played they lost 8-0 and they only had 10 people playing. Some of the guys thought they didn't need to show up. The 3rd match they played was the lowest point, they were playing against our main rivals and our team ended up with a scoreline of 16-0. We had to forfeit the game beacuse after the first half we did not have enough players. The next match was a improvement we tied 3-3, we still didn't have a full team. The match after that and the last match were also forfeit beacuse of not having enough players.

So in the end I was happy that our school team couldn't even manage a win. I was happy beacuse I wasnt in the team and they failed miserably. All my other friends who did not get chosen were also happy. If the coach had picked me and my friends and the other people who actually wanted to play, the people who would have shown up for every game we might have won a game and not loose by such big scorelines.

Sounds like your school has some major problems choosing the team and some underlying political garbage going on
Gerrard4ever (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Yes they have some major problems. I think the coach is going to get changed this year beacuse eveybody kept on wondering what happend to the team since we only had 1 match when we had a full team
I hate it when a coach ruins a team with a bit of talent.... I've seen it happen kind of a lot.

Great thread Ant. This is my favorite so far. I really enjoy reading about other peoples heartbreaks, defeats, wins, and elation and being able to feel it with them. I'd like to thank everyone for sharing. And also, to say more people to share!Insert multiple exclamation points!
Thanks, I agree this is probably my favourite thread. I love to hear what people were thinking or feeling just before they took a great shot or had a big loss or injury. Of course also how they felt after!
Sad....
The first 2 days of Summer Football Training Camp, I scored 2 goals! But I still ended up losing both matches because of some idiot defender who kept giving it away in the penalty area....
Sad....
Now the coach won't be impressed.... Sigh....
The 3rd training day is today, hopefully the idiot won't mess up again....
Sad....
Here's a short bit about a "move" that I try to do when playing against people that haven't seen me play before. It only really works against new people, because the people I play against every week in kickarounds have come to expect it.

If the ball is passed to me with force and my back is to an opposition player who is very close to me, I try this sometimes. I shape my body as if I am just going to kill the ball dead, but instead twist at the last second, run the ball up onto my laces, and "flick" the ball up and over the head of the other player. Usually I can do it accurately enough that it barely goes an inch over their heads and behind them, sometimes actually skimming off the top of their heads. When the ball comes at them like that, their usual reaction is to try to jump and head it, or otherwise try to control it with their head, but the spin on it from the pass usually makes it whizz off their head and behind them. Of course, while they are jumping to head it or flinching away from it, I'm running around them and collecting the ball.

When it fails, then it gently hits their chest and I look like a fool. However, when it works, I look like Zidane for about three seconds. They usually don't chase back!
Wow, thanks for the tip, i'l try working on it....  Hopefully i'l look more like Zidane than a fool....
I started to use this move all the time after I saw Ricardo Fuller do it against Aston Villa this past season!

So you pass it terrible Darius? Haha. That was a dirty move
Lol I'm confused here are you referring to Gareth Barry's horrible pass in that video, and comparing it to me lol
Hey, I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin you know? Haha. That really is one of the worst passes I've ever seen at any level

Kick4Life - changing lives through football