Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
'Sell' Your Club!
SaHac (Hamburger SV) 3 years ago
If you were to try and 'sell' your team to a neutral friend or someone new to football in a paragraph or two, what would you say. Just to clarify, I'm not asking anyone to justify their club. AND I understand any hostility to this question. 'why would I ever try to market or promote my team to someone else, your born a fan, your either a fan or your not, we only want diehards, ' etc.... Ok now that that's off our chests, open up.... Promote your team

Ex- HSV is a totally cool club because blah blah blah. (
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
We did, to the glazers, what a mistake that was.... Lol
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Liverpool: The single most successful club in England, with an unmatched history, a fantastic passionate fanbase and a bright future
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Most successful?
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
You should add, and if you buy us, you will never walk alone
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Yes, most successful. "Liverpool has won a joint-record 18 league titles, seven FA Cups and a record seven League Cups. Liverpool is also the most successful English club in European competition having won five European Cups, the last in 2005, and three UEFA Cups."

United are close or equal on pure trophies if you factor in the joke tournaments like the Intercontinental cup and community shield trophies. Charity shield is a single match played pre season for charity, but apparently counts as a 'trophy win' as prestigious as a European cup.

(full screen it)

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_records_in_England#...
Hamburg: a club that has the money and players to be more than competitive year in and year out. We can get almost 60, ooo for Bochum. Yea. We're THAT team that always comes close, but noone would be too surprised if we won it.... With a pinch of drama
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
I've always sympathized HSV in Bundesliga (along with BVB), especially during that season with petrol in attack (Petric and Olic). Too bad Olic split to Bayern, they're not my favourite. Anyways, since you're Canadian, how come you became a Hamburg fan? Would be interesting to hear the background story if there is one
Geographically speaking, growing up I didn't have any loyalties to a team, but my family is germanic, and when I fell in love with football, I made the life-defining choice of supporting HSV. Its a beautiful city, one of the nicest in germany. Best fans I have ever seen (their banners and displays during games are amazing). I loved the logo to boot. Now I have friends who live there too. So that's that
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Manchester united
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Chelsea FC, an aging squad, lovable italian at the helm, and a very promising emerging youth system. All you need is a billion dollar bank account and your set for chelsea fc. Just bring alot of blue flags if your a foreigner
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Lol nice one. You'd deffo convince me to buy them if I had the money
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
FC Barcelona - Mes Que Un Club - The club which started with a simple passion for the beautiful game and after a century it has become the passion of a nation.

We are proud to be the first club to wear unicef proudly on our chest and on top of our hearts.
We are proud to give back to the world
We are proud that our players grow up learning the same values of the club.

And finally!

We are proud to play the beautiful game our beautiful way for you!
This is boring. It would be more fun to present some unknown teams from Asia or something than Man Utd or Barca, the teams we all know
You are a sour grape. Pretty quick to criticize but no one sees you contributing here
Mate I've been contributing quite a lot to these forums, so don't give me that nonsense. Yeah I might have not contributed to this topic, but that's because it turned out to be exactly as I had expected: Barca and United fans talking stuff like "Mes Que Un Club" and other cliches. Good to see it started taking a U-turn in the meantime, though
Yes you contribute. We contribute as well yet you still criticize us. What stopped you from doing a little thing on Zagreb?
Well the thing is, now is not the right time to be promoting my club, it's complicated. But a sarcastic version might go like this:

We are run by mafia types who sell off talented youngsters for millions, which go straight into their pockets.
Our stadium is in worse condition than the Egyptian Pyramids (one of the reason for the state of it takes us back to the mafia bosses, who made the renovation funds disappear in the middle of the reconstruction process).
We have been Croatian champs for God knows how many years, but that's because all the other clubs have become totally s**t (yes, football mafia is the reason once again).
Despite winning the league like 7 times in a row, we constantly fail to qualify for champions league group stage or managed to get to the knock outs of Europa League.
Did I mention that all the youth talents are sold off as quickly as possible?

You buying?

By the way, I had no intention to criticize you or anyone else, just wanted to get people to post more about the less known teams/areas in order to make it a bit more interesting
I understand that you were just trying to get more smaller clubs into here.

Didn't know that about Zagreb. Kind of surprised, thought it was more of a Serbian thing.

I actually have a friend who went to play with the Zagreb youths a few years ago for one summer and he told me lots of great things about Dinamo Zagreb. The youth director for DZ used to live in Canada and asked my friend to go train with them for a summer. He was there the time that Eduardo just got signed and things were pretty crazy.

He also told me to look out for Modric as well.
What a player he is turning out to be
Well, it's a Balkan thing, really. Ever since the break up of Yugoslavia, there have been various thugs getting involved in football, in all of these countries. That shoudn't come as a surpise, since Croatia itself (much like Serbia) has been run by thugs and thiefs. Needless to say, the level of football has been constantly decreasing, and now it has reached a point where most football fans in Croatia have turned to other European leagues, with only the national team still relatively successful (obviously not recently lol). The Croatian league became a personal playground of a few crooks, including the FA president and, of course, the Dinamo boss.

Despite all this, Dinamo no doubt has one of the best youth systems in these parts of Europe, producing world class talents with each new generation. For example, the latest two wunderkinds, Vrsaljko and Kovacic, are apparently desired by half of Premier League. The problem remains that they are all sold far too early in their careers (and this trend keeps getting worse and worse). They are usually sold for insane amounts of money that their crook agents manage to extort from the European teams (the Dinamo boss' son is most of these players' agent as well, which puts him in a direct conflict of interest). Since you mention Eduardo and Modric, it would be interesting to mention that during the season they were sold, Dinamo made 50+ million euros from transfers, while spending about 2. 5 mil for new signings! No wonder the team has an average attendance of a few thousands on a 38 000 capacity stadium.

Anyway, it's really cool that your friend ended up training with the youth team. Eduardo is without a doubt one of my favourite players. The funny thing is that I used to live right by the stadium, when he and another Brazilian guy were brought to Dinamo (for 50k euros) and they put them in an apartment building next to mine! We played street football with them a couple of times, and I remember that a friend of mine managed to get the ball through Eduardo's legs. We still joke about it to this day lol
My hope was that this topic would attract people like markodon to open up about their clubs that most of us didn't know about. But I also like reading about bigger clubs because normally there are nuggets I didn't know about. The thought, anyway, was for us all to get a better picture of what makes our clubs what they are. Getting to know this stuff is all part of being fans. Good stuff everyone
BoboRed (Leeds United) 3 years ago
Garforth Town - play in the 8th tier of the English football league system.

Despite this, fans have seen players such as Socrates, Careca and erm, Lee Sharpe grace the turf at the GH Stadium!

Formed from a local pub team in the 1960s, their ground can almost literally be described as a dump - as the stadium is built on a former dumping site.

About 6 months ago, Paul Gascoigne signed up to be the new manager, but changed his mind at the last minute - presumably due to his mental state at the time/now.

Best one yet.... Anyone can talk about the big clubs, and most probably know their history anyway, but this is grassroots and a lot more interesting than finding out how inter milan were formed.... Lol, nice one robo
Yes! This is what we want to see more of
Well before you start criticising why don't you give it a go?

Hard to sell something which you don't really know much about.

I am tempted to do the Whitecaps but I haven't been a fan for that long
Completely out of curiosity but what is the 8th division called?
Wikipedia'd that s***!

They currently play in the Northern Premier League Division One North.

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_syst...

That link shows the structure of the whole English football system. Seems like everyone in the UK fits into there
Yes, that's right, they currently call it the "Evostick League".

Its highly, highly unlikely, but there is always the dream, that a club from way down in the league system could gain promotions and work themselves up to the main leagues
Is that the same league as fc utd of manchester?
FC United are in the league above Garforth, Tony
Ok I'll do one ab about a club from India Mohun Bagan AC. Formed in 1889 which makes them one of the oldest Asian clubs ever. Currently playing in the I-league which is the top division in the country.

There stadium is a 120,000 seater(more than most"big teams") called the Salt lake stadium. Despite the fact that the team may have not enjoyed as much success in recent years, big time players such as Pele(1977) Milla(1990) and more recently Oliver Kahn (2008) have all played friendlies against Bagan at the Salt Lake stadium.

The salt lake stadium

Club Mascot

Tony the tiger.... Frosties? .... They're greattttttttttttt  Nice info footyrulz
That is just a ridiculous size stadium! Bet they do well in filling it every match too
I second the ridiculous stadium observation!
Lol you can look it up for yourself if you don't believe me
Cloudst 3 years ago
I was planning on doing one from for my club in bangladesh and I finally found some time:

Mohammedan Sporting Club (Dhaka) was formed in 1938 having been one of the teams to dominate the first division through 1957-1999. More recently the club has not been as successful as it was in it's glory days but is still well known throughout Bangladesh for being one the more major club to cause problems in the Asia club championship. Through the glory years led by Mohammad Shahjahan (who change the team top to bottom) the club won the first division 15 times (runner up on 12 occasions). With the first division trophies, the club has also won The independence club football tournament (5 times), The federation cup (5 times), and the Ashis-Jabbar Shield Tournament (1 time). The team plays in the Bangabandhu National Stadium (which is a 36,000 seater)

So you like history and like the nice nifty trophies this club won (along with the very loyal fans) you'll take interest in this club

Kick4Life - changing lives through football