Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Second Clubs?
WeekzFootball (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
I am a relative new comer when it comes to football and I wanted to know if:
A Is it okay to support 2 clubs in the same league? (kind of have one team as a main and then another as a side club?)
Be Is it okay to support 2+ clubs in the same country but playing in different leagues? (both are the main team in their respective leagues)
See Is it okay to support 2+ clubs in different leagues in different countries? (I personally like the NY Red Bulls at home, and Man UTD in the PL, and Servette FC in the swiss challenge league)
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Well first off your posting this in the wrong place, (off topic is where it should go). Anyways no it's not wrong to support more than one club in a league but usually you would have a favorite club that you like more than the others. As for be, that's also okay because most of us on this site also support more than one club in another league
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Funnily enough when I started to follow closely the EPL, I quickly became a fan of both Arsenal and the Spurs, completely ignorant of their deadly rivalry. People still wonder when they stop at my profile and see that I am a fan of both clubs.

Well, when you are an outsider, some degree of tolerance must be applied. Don't expect me to feel the "hate" for the other London club, because I am not a local.

There are of course levels in my preference for these two clubs. I want Arsenal to win EPL and I want the Spurs to be a Top 4 club. So when these two clash, I root for Arsenal.

I also want United to rank above Chelsea and City, but this does (should) not qualify me as an official fan. I love Newcastle and want to see them fighting for Europe, but again there are levels in my allegiances.

I am humble and believe that local fans should have a priority in expressing their feelings and opinions about their clubs of the heart. Unlike them, I will not cry if "my" English clubs lose. I am an innocent and sincere (yet outside) fan and try to be careful about my place. (Of course, as everyone else I am only human and will go berserk sometimes. Lol)
3 years ago
Speaking as an English man, who supports his local team, the idea of supporting 2 teams is preposterous and unthinkable.

Anyone (in England) would be dismissed as insane/childish/pathetic if they claimed they supported 2 clubs.

Like Marcinny eloquently states, these rules wouldn't apply for "outsiders", who obviously choose their club based on entirely different criteria. In England, you don't pick your club, you are born into it.

Whilst I might keep a keen eye on the performances and results of other foreign based teams (particular if an ex player is there etc), one could never consider oneself to be a supporter of that club.

Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
"In England, you don't pick your club, you are born into it. "  Someone should engrave these words somewhere
It really depends where you come from. If you have grown up in England then the English club you would support would be your local club. But if like me you are living almost halfway across the world from england then there is a more likely chance you would support teams the are bigger and more successful.

I started watching the EPL over 5 years ago which was about the time Chelsea were winning the title under mourinho. Because I was still relatively new to football I instantly took a liking to the best team in the league which at the time was chelsea. At first I didn't mind teams like Arsenal and Man united and in fact I even kind of supported them until I found out they were title rivals which eventually caused me to start disliking them even more especially during the 3 years the Man united won the title. My attitude when watching the match also changed as I started getting badly upset when Chelsea lost and even more euphoric when they won. So at first supporting 2 clubs may seem okay but you will come to a point where you will have to choose one team above all the others
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Yeah It depends on where you come from, if you have a home team, if you aware of other teams when you choose, I thinks it fine too have two teams in the same league. Lol I always loved everton because of mikel areta and cahill so I chose them as my second fave epl team, but If against chelsea all hand on deck, and I hope we win 7-0, and humiliate them, and other hand I wouldnt mind if everton wins.

I also support Inter and Real Madrid, but only in there respective leagues and cups
I support real and inter as well in their leagues but I have taken a liking to Ac milan since Allegri arrive and changed

Kick4Life - changing lives through football