Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Rooney To Be Sold In The Summer
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
OK, I know it is probably just an old rumor renewed (rumour to you Brits etc), but it makes some sense from the Glazers' point of view. He "consumes" a million of their money in less than a month. So, minus the paycheck of some new guy (assuming that they will buy someone - they did not replace see are), they will still make about 10 million for every coming year without Rooney.

This on the top of the big sum that City, Madrid or one of those Northern Italian clubs will be ready to shell for him. Unlike the end of last year, Rooney is coming back to form and is showing great skills also in supporting roles, which will eventually only increase his value.

Fergie's trend to make Rooney play supporting roles may only be a ruse to help Chicarito grow and make Rooney more dispensable. He has Berba in the bench and all he needs is a third good forward, whom he has probably eyed already.

Rooney won the first round of clash, but that was a dangerous win because he is too fat financially for the club now. And no matter how well he plays, chances are, he will be mailed to a different address. The only thing that Fergie and the club probably fear, is his determination to stay in England. They'd rather see him leave to Spain or Italy.

What do you guys think?
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
No.
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I think if they had sold him three years ago, they'd be looking at $60 million. These days, and the fact he's scored something like 5 or 10 goals from open play in 18 months (not penalty, not free kick), and his awful attitude, I think they are looking at $40 million maybe. Hard to tell.

The problem is that Alex Ferguson keeps saying he won't buy until he is ready. I can see Rooney going and no-one coming in instead, as seems to be the trend at MUFC the last couple of years.

Summary: any money made from Rooney sale will go straight to Glazers 500 million debt
Also any sale pre-World Cup last year, could have generated easily 50 mil, despite his injury.

But as I said, the merely unloading his salary would be quite a profit to the club (read Glazers).

But you are right. With that black-hole of a debt, I doubt the Glazers would give any serious money back
RyanBB (Newcastle United) 3 years ago
The best thing that club can do for themselves is to off him
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I think they should sell him, they shouldn't have even given in to his demands in the first place when he held the club to ransom in January. I think Rooney could still go for at least 45m unless he plays even better towards the end of the year and increases his value even more. They could use his money to fund other signings of the transfer targets they have been looking at. I don't think united will sell to a club in England so it could be real Madrid that get him. I read that Chelsea were linked to him but don't really need rooney and I doubt united would sell to fierce rivals city anyways. So its got to be real Madrid or another non english club with the money
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I'd be keen to see him go to Real Madrid and disappear completely
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
That way he would no longer get a chance to tease Kop Fans uh
Rogue4341 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
No point in theorizing. Wait until the summer and we will see what man utd is going to do. Till then this is pointless
And then in the summer, if he is sold, you will say that it is pointless to discuss it, because what happened, happened.
There is a point in "theorizing": it serves understanding better the interests in play, weighting the possibilities, predict scenarios etc.
You can't take this out of "football talk". It is part of the fun
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Rogue makes being a football fan sound pointless because if you're not in the stadium you won't have an impact on the games so why watch?
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Far Far Away FC?
Nkrumah (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Lol joker
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
When the world ends in 2012 he'll be sold
You are probably right. He rubbished the rumor. Now I wonder what the Glazers think about this. Rooney after all is the current winner in this saga. He got the money that he wanted and unable to score goals was accommodated to a more withdrawn forward position and even as a winger. He has not immediate reason to leave, but the Glazers may have other plans
I just hope the Glazers realize it's best to keep hiding wherever they are. We won't have to many problems as long as they don't touch the club.

United are so big, we're rich off the revenue we generate each year. So my hope is that the glazers will stay out of the way and eventually sell the club
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
The only place Rooney could be sold to is to another English club. You might hear Barca this or Madrid that but, the fact of the matter is that no club will pay 40 million for an English player. English players are way too over rated which is why clubs like Barca, Madrid, Milan or Munich aren't trying to break the bank in order to sign rooney, gerarrd, lampard or any other englishmen. Manchester should just keep him & just hope he improves or else they'll have no choice but to sell him to another english club which I'm sure they don't want to do. But hey, I hear Liverpool like to pay 40 million for young & useless English players
Ouch
Wayne should read this to find out what many people actually think of him
I'm not trying to be rude, but the truth is the truth
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 3 years ago
Julio has a point. English players are definitely overpriced. That doesn't mean they're not good, but 40 million for Carrol and such similar transfer fees are simply insane. In another league a player of Caroll's quality (he is a pretty talented young man) would probably cost around 5 million, maybe a bit more.
Having said that, I also think players are overpriced in general, but England is the most extreme case...
True. All players in general are too overpriced. The difference between English players & the rest of the world is that everyone else will at least demonstrate that in some way they're worth millions of dollars. That's something that no englishman has ever done. Sure, Beckham did alright in spain but did he do better than Zidane or Ronaldo or Makelele? Nope. That's why I say that no team in the world that is not English will pay 40 million or more for a Rooney, Carrol or Gerarrd. For God's sake, Everyone including the English are trying to break the bank in order to sign Neymar from Brazil Who in my opinion can end up winning the FIFA player of the year award before rooney or walcott or etc
Julio, you are making a broad assumption based on very few instances. The English clubs too want efficiency and in normal circumstances would not hold on to an English player who doesn't deliver.
I think the English players are priced high because the EPL is the most competitive and followed national league in the world. There is too much money involved and has gone way too far now. If City bought an unstable young player like Balotelli for 24 million. Why should I be surprised if Liverpool buys Carroll for only 6 million more. And honestly, I think Carroll is a much better investment.
The second reason for the prices that English clubs play for English players is the rule that they should field a minimum number of English and local players in their team.

No matter what you say, I still see Rooney and Giggs as the best in United, Hart as the best in City, Lampard (until a few months before at Chelsea), Gerrard in Liverpool, Bale (I know Welsh), at Spurs, Barton (at United), to mention just a few, as the best players there, not because their nationality, but because of what they deliver in the pitch.

Maybe they would all fail in Europe but we can only assume that. And assumption are often not in good faith (not that I have a reason to doubt that your comment was sincere and that it meant well)
JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Julio, if you are suggesting that, in general, many English players lack the technical skills of players from other parts of the world then I could easily agree with you. However, your argument goes too far. For a start you put Caroll and Rooney in the same category when from a technical skill perspective Rooney is leagues ahead of Caroll. In addition, Rooney has enough technical skills to do well in any top league in the world - there's no top team that wouldn't take him including all the Italian teams. Rooney is simply a world class footballer.

However, its not all about skills - its the total product of the player that counts and that is why many players who seem to be very good in other leagues cannot make an impact in the EPL. They lack the stamina, or the pace, or the determination that is needed. But whatever measure you want to apply to some English players - their total product and individual components easily match up!

Because the English style does not emphasize technical skills it does not mean that all English players do not have technical skills. You should go and see what Zidane, Xavi, Del Pierro, Baggio have to say about Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs or Wayne Rooney and then modify your discussion.

Marcinny, Rooney's salary is between 150, 00-175, 000 per week depending on performance bonuses. Don't believe the media hype/speculation.

I am writing after Rooney has just scored a hat-trick and his 8th goal in nine games. If as looks likely, he helps United win the league and continues to demonstrate that he is back to world-class, game-changer form, then there isn't any club that has 40m to spend that wouldn't snap him up at that price.

It is sufficient to state that a coming into form Rooney has been able to keep the EPL's top scorer out of the starting line up - that's how good he is!
You know what, all I have to say is when was the last time an english player took top goalscorer in the EPL? When was the last time England won any sort of international tournament? When was the last time an Englishman won player of the year? Just because Zidane or Xavi said that they admire paul scholes or wayne rooney doesn't mean that they're the best. Scholes has been playing for a long time and I can list you a ton of players that have been better than him throughout his career. Rooney on the other hand is nowhere close to even being one of the best englishmen in history. My comment was mainly about rooney being sold & how no club, other than an english one, would spend more than 40 million on him. Madrid, Barca, Inter & milan have never shown any interest in buying rooney. Sure you might hear rumors here and there, but in the end they're just rumors. All I'm saying is that rooney is not worth $40 million at the moment. Until he has a season like ronaldo, messi or iniesta, he'll never be worth that amount of money
Rogue4341 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Tbh he probably will be sold because chicharito is really starting to get in the zone and rooney is just a supporter now. Not to sell him short he is doing well, but he really is to expensive to stay on the roster
J007eY (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Man Utd have been crying out for a creative outlet in midfield. Why can't Rooney be moulded to fill this role?
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
That could be an option.

Rooney used to play as an attacking midfield with Everton most of the time.
With United, his main position is up-front. However, sometimes he`s positionned a bit deeper on the pitch. Thus getting a bit of freedom allowing him to have the ball more often in order to create and provide, as well as convert chances in and out of the box. His passing and crossing just serves as an extra attributes to his play.
So collecting the ball from deep, and passing/crossing serve as an addition to the play, like he did against arsenal lately.

Anyways, I`m not seeing Rooney leaving Manchester at this time
Can't see him playing for no one but a english team I hope don't go to a london team
Can't see him playing for no one but a english team I hope he doesn't go to a london team  
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Anywhere but here, because he will cost a fortune, but then again only one thing beats Torres-Drogba. All 3 of them (LOL jk)

Kick4Life - changing lives through football