Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Rooney Or Messi For PFA?
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago

I got 6 minutes till I go school , and I wanted to post this thread as soon I could. So my question is , for this seasons PFA. Who would you pick as the best player in the world. Ofcourse there are other outside choices for example Xavi , Ronaldo maybe. Urm....Amiobe of Newcastle? XD

Its down to Rooney and the messiah really. Both on superb form. Messi has a few more goals then wazza at this moment , but I believe this one is gonna' go down to the wire. Messi has the advantage bieng the younger more exciting player , but rooney is pulling his team a long way . And becoming the player we all dreamed of,

Messi though had scored a hattrick last night making Barca go first in the La Liga . The importance of both players are vital in both sides.But whos gonna' win it.

Do it Champions! (lol)

CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Its up to the end results in the Champions League and World Cup. But they are making it spicy aren't they? If I had to vote right now I'd say Rooney. I have an enourmous amount of respect for Messi but Rooney has come up as the biggest force in football in the world.... So far. Its not written in stone yet though
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Both are awesome and in top form.... Just scoring goals goals goals.... .... But I think this decision will be easier to be taken when WC is over!
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I reckon its down to who goes furthest in the champions league, it usually is, which is wrong.
At the minute rooney is just shading it for me, but messis hat trick last night was superb
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Personally I think Ronaldo was better then either of 'em on his Year at United. For me it's more his ability than his goals. Ronaldo still would make better than either these players in my opinion.

But since it usually does come down to just goals and tournaments, I'm betting on Rooney to win, he's playing better overall than Messi anyways. Messi's hat trick was good, but pretty basic, it was mostly down to his teammates.

Also for big awards, instead of the Champions league being the deciding point, it'll problably be the World Cup
Down to his partners? They stood there while he created it and finished it. They didn't do nothing haha
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Well my point is, is that unless he took the ball beat three players and scored than it, than his team was needed is wasn't all him. So I think awards should be less based on goals
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think at the moment Rooney would easily take it for present form. Even though Messi scored a wonderfull 3 goals last night Rooney has been impossible to keep out shots from. Messi is a stunning player and he has all the skills in the world and never really had an off day, where Rooney sometimes has a flying temper, but at the moment I still think iff Roon gets the right amount of support from valencia he will score bags and bags and bags. So see you after the break for the final result

Right, here is the final result (on current form):
Balance Winner: Messi
SpeedWinner: Messi
Heading Winner: Rooney
Shots Winner: Rooney
Calmness winner: Messi
creativity winner: Rooney
Skills winner: Messi
Free kicks Winner: Messi

Oh dear.... Messi is the winner!
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Balance would go to rooney, calmness would go to rooney, creativity would go to messi
Right observation! Creativity without doubt to Messi!
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Calmness to rooney(@Adamaus)? Lol, messsi!
Keyrock (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Isn't the PFA award only for the English Premier League players?
So Messi cannot feature in the argument.
The debate should be between Rooney and Drogba
Yeah I relised I made that mistake seconds after posting this. Meant to say best player of the year award
Lol, its all good.... If Messi played in the EPL he's get my vote too! I think he's more than likely go to Arsenal though, haha ;P
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Messi no doubt for me. Fantastic player this season. He's been the man to step it up when barca hasn't been playing well and without him, barca would not be where they are in the table right now. But in the end the world cup will decide it
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I'm going to say rooney for the fact that they are pretty much equaling each other except is a more rounded player and is carrying united alot more than messi is carrying barca
Not because Man UTD is more dependent on wayne means that he can't be compared to messi. I respect your opinion but Messi is also super rounded.... I'd say that the fact that messi is harder to stop, he's much better than rooney
Mauijim (Manchester United) 4 years ago
This is the time of year when defining moments take shape and the cream rises to the top. Both players and their teams have so much at stake. Let's see who will rise from here on out. Both are in great form and have shouldered the burdens to lead their teams into the history books. Too close to call for me.

This was posted elsewhere and is a great read about Messi.

Link: soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=756394&sec=...
BIJACK (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I thought I didn't read it correctly at the first time because Messi will never get that unless he's playing for one of the EPL teams. So, it's best player of the year award.

Anyway.... Whoever win, it's not gonna' be a landslide. Both player stand out in each team. There's not much difference between them and so, it depends on their contribution till the last match they have. I'd say Rooney because his contribution is slightly greater than Messi so far
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
To me rooney is a more complete player at the moment. While messi can only play attacking positions, rooney can play anywhere you ask him to play. Rooney is faster than messi and he is turning out to be a better goal scorer. Rooney has been leading a injured affected team to victory
Rooney is faster than Messi?
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Rooney will definetly win. I think he will beat ronaldoțs record of 42 goals last season
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
For all those who think messi is a fast player, think again. The link below is a study that was done and it suggest that the fastest players in the world in order are:
Ronaldo
Arjen robben
Theo walcott
Wayne rooney
Robin van Persie

Link: www.espnstar.com/football/primera-liga/news/detail...
BIJACK (AC Milan) 4 years ago
His dribbling skill and his movement makes him looks so fast.... Still his speed is far above the average
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
It doesn't really matter who the fastest 100m runner is. Walcoot used to be a sprinter, so I'm guessing he's a lot faster than almost any football player in the world. And Agbonlahor, Young and several others are much faster than so many other better players too.
What matters is how much faster than your opponent you are in everything: acceleration and pace are one thing, but agility (quick turns, cutting inside....) and skill are often at least as important. Messi may not be able to run 100m in 10 seconds, but he will do it in 11, and with his incredible skill, trickery and agility he's able to cover distances a lot faster than pretty much any defender
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Oh, and Van Persie fast? Really? Someone once told me Fabregas was one of the fastest players in the EPL. Seriously, if the results of so-called 'studies' point to Cesc as one of the Premier League's fastest players, I wonder if they only checked the best 3 players they can come up with. The really fast ones are often mediocre players who just have that great pace and little else
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
My vote goes to rooney for obvious reasons. We may see them face off before long...
Monaldo (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think this decision will go all the way down to the wire.... Messi is without a doubt one of the finest players to grace a football pitch but I struggle to compare him to Rooney purely due to the fact that they are very different, yet very similar in various ways. Messi is an excellent forward who like Rooney, can play as an out and out striker, but this season has shwon that Rooney has finally put on his shooting boots and seems to be scoring for fun. And when he's not scoring if you pay attention to his movement off the ball and his build up play when he drifts deep to pick up the ball, is currently world class. The feeling we get when watching Rooney too is that he can only get better and that the only direction for him, is up. However, on the other hand we have a gem of a player in Messi who can twist, turn and weave in a way that Rooney can't. In terms of technical ability, I think Rooney comes out on top. In terms of flamboyant skill, I think Messi takes the gold. Finally, in terms of goal scoring ability and sheer determination and passion, I think both players are equal, if not Rooney just a tiny bit more than Messi. We'll see though...
Monaldo (Manchester United) 4 years ago
In addition, a point I forgot to mention is that if Rooney can lead United to PL and champions league success, then I think the award will definately be his

Kick4Life - changing lives through football