Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Ronaldinho Fails To Win Brazil Recall!!!
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
As we all have seen: Ronaldinho has been playing recently excellent football and found his top form back.... With the hope of being recalled for the Brazil national squad.... But Carlos Dunga (coach) made his decision and formed this squad for the team's final prior friendly match to the WC against Ireland on March 2.

This is the Brazil Squad:

- Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Inter Milan, ITA), Doni (Roma, ITA)

- Defenders: Maicon (Inter Milan), Daniel Alves (Barcelona, ESP), Juan (Roma), Lucio (Inter Milan), Luisao (Benfica, POR), Thiago Silva (AC Milan, ITA), Gilberto (Cruzeiro), Michel Bastos (Lyon, FRA)

- Midfielders: Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos, GRE), Josue (Wolfsburg, GER), Felipe Melo (Juventus, ITA), Lucas (Liverpool, ENG), Kaka (Real Madrid, ESP), Ramires (Benfica), Elano (Galatasaray, TUR), Julio Baptista (Roma), Kleberson (Flamengo)

- Forwards: Robinho (Santos), Adriano (Flamengo), Nilmar (Villarreal, ESP), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla, ESP)

The question: Why isn't Ronaldinho in his squad?
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I don't know. I really don't. Robinho is their, Kaka is there, Lucas is there -they have had no where near as good a season as him. He doesn't get starts when Dunga is coach and if he isn't including him here the chances are he may not go to South africa. Maybe dunga wants 'dinho to rest before June, but March is a long time away and friendly's aren't that injury stricken matches really but even so I doubt this is the case. What is it with Dunga? Doesn't he monitor their club form? He has been amazing!
I personally can't understand why Dunga takes such a decision.... Private problems with Dinho?
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Dunga may be thinking a couple things with a decision like this, but mind you none of them make as much sense as bringing Dinho. Probably.

At Milan Ronaldinho is pretty hot right now. Dunga may want to keep him in that to keep his fire going, and use him later. It would require Dinho to come home, re-acclimate to Brazil again, get comfortable, and start practicing to rejoin the team, and that can do a number on your form, especially since it's taken how long for Dinho to get comfortable at Milan?

Or maybe Dunga is just trying to field a more youthful team? Still, that's not a very consistent reason either. There's no logical answer yet. Surely we will hear more soon, though
But in any situation.... Dunga must state a convincing reason for not taking Dinho with him
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I can't honestly think of a good one as Dinho has been in better form than most of the team he selected.... Unless it's something personal of Dinho himself has asked not to join the camp.... Idk...
Tintifra (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
It's probably a philosophical difference as far as Dunga is concerned; he was a no-nonsense defensive midfielder during his career, and with Ronaldinho's history of indiscipline he probably feels El Gaucho will take away more than add to the team.

If this were 2006, he would have no choice but to bring Ronaldinho. Today (and I grant you Ronaldinho is closer to his old form these days than he has been in a long time), it is a totally defensible decision to omit him. (Calling up Lucas.... Not so much. But that's another story
Realmcoy (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I'm totally confused. When you compare Dinho's form to guys like Ramires, Baptista.... It makes you want to think that probably Dunga has personal issues with El Gaucho. Even if that is just speculation, what about facts? How come he changed from being a great form-scouter; even probably one of the only Brazilian coaches to keep tabs on all the in-form players since Brazilians footballers basically took over the football world, to being biased? I don't get it...
Timbers4life (Portland) 4 years ago
Come on people.... We all know its personal.... Dino is a whining baby...
Soundslikefail (Arsenal) 4 years ago
It's apparently because Dunga isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. If Lucas is in the squad, then surely Ronaldinho would be in by default. But, alas
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Now in an latest interview,when Dunga was questioned about this issue,the coach refused to speak and behaved like Mourinho.
"I guess it's normal, because the players who are absent are always the best and everyone wants to talk about who is not part of the national team.None of this is new on the eve of a World Cup. The questions and answers continue to be the same. The pressure on the coach of the Selecao is always very strong."
Said the reluctant boss.
Dunga also backed Kaka,who is the main-man in his 'not-so-flashy-anymore' Brazil.

Dunga wants Dinho to juggle the sun?

What may be the reason?
Every coach have their own reasons- either acceptable or unacceptable for their deeds.
As I said,Brazil under Dunga is not really the good ol' Sambaish,flashy Seleção we used see.Dunga,plays a more packed and an integrated,more strategic football using kaka as the anchor.Actually,AC Milan playing under Leonardo with an 'ultra attacking' 4-3-3 plays more 'Brazil like' than the actual Brazil!
This may be the reason for Dunga to snub Dinho,who is a more flamboyant and an audacious figure.On the other hand Kaka,Dunga's main man,is a more professional and simple and less audacious;unlike Dinho.

So,Dinho deserves the spot,but the boss doesn't think so.Its evident that Dinho is very less likely to be included in the Seleção.But,we shall see.Who knows whats running in the joker's mind?

Full article:Link: football-raillery.blogspot.com/2010/02/whats-with-...
But to keep Dinho just because of his strategic style isn't convincing.... If he would take him just as a substitute it would be half a problem!
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 4 years ago
I think that Dunga doesn't want Ronaldinho on the team because he believes that Ronnie will be a bad influence for the rest of the team especially because the team is full of new players who have never played in the world cup. Just look what happened in 2006. I honestly thought that the 06 squad was gonna' be one of the best squads ever with the likes of Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, Kaka etc. But as it turned out, they were eliminated but not because they lacked the quality and skill to win, but by the lack of discipline & focus. Are you guys forgetting that these guys are some of the biggest party animals around? Don't get me wrong, Ronaldinho & Ronaldo are 2 of my favorite players of all time, but these guys have a hard time focusing on the goal because of their crazy personal lives. Then again, Dinho seems to have shaped up this season and also seems to have reduced his partying attitude by a lot. Even though Dunga still has doubt about Dinho's changed ways, there is no doubt in hell that he is performing way better than half of the team. And that includes Kaka, Robinho, Adriano, & Felipe Melo, not to mention up an comers Lucas, Ramires & Bastos
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
The boss almost confirms that Dinho is not in the part of his plans,in an interview right after winning the Ireland friendly.

"Pele was once the best player in the world. I played once as well. Players come and players go. We have the team decided but we need certain things defined."

Said Dunga to the press,when asked about 'Dinho.
Still remaining stubborn,clear that we are definitely not gonna' see 'Dinho in the WC.

Link: www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2010/03/0...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football