Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Question About Penalty Kicks And Retakes
Illninoese (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I'm not sure exactly where this is supposed to go so I decided to post this in here.

I just finished watching the Women's World Cup quarterfinal with the USA and Brazil. A penalty was given to Brazil and I'm 100% positive that Cristiane stepped up to take it and had it saved by Solo. They referee called it back and had Brazil retake the penalty but this time Marta came on and took the penalty instead.
I was just wondering if this is legal according to the rules.... I was under the impression that you have to keep your same PK kicker even if the kick is called back for a redo.
For example, Xabi Alonso against Paraguay in the wc2010 quarterfinal had to retake his kick and he stepped up and took it; not someone else on the team. I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple more games in which penalties were awarded, taken then recalled for a redo but the same player always took it....

If anyone has an answer that would be awesome. Thanks a lot.
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
A different player can correctly be nominated to retake the kick
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Didn't know. There are many decisions nowadays that that puzzle. Like I saw paul pogba get a second yellow and sent off for stopping on his run up to take a penalty
Peteko 3 years ago
Yeah, but in Pogba case, unless he repeated the trick, it seems to me that the eccentricity of the ref may played a role.

I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes they purposely dust off the manual and wait for the occasion to implement some odd and forgotten rule
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
What do you guys think of this one...

Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Its rare that I can say I haven't seen that before in football, but this is definitely one of those times!
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 3 years ago
Gotta' admit that is brilliant. Confused the heck out of the keeper. But in the end it is total bush league and pretty stupid. There are Man Rules for this stuff...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football