Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Premier League Dark Horses.
WhiteHartRogue (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
Heres my dark horses for the Premier League this season:

Stoke:I think theyve bought really well and now have 4 really strong Centre backs in Shawcross, Woodgate, Huth & Upson, these 4 are all amazing CB's and will definately do a good job for them this season. They also are looking like getting Crouch & Palacios who when on their game are really gifted players. Them along with they're other signings I can see them getting into the top 7 or 8 in the league.

Newcastle:Another team who has really bought well with Strikers like Ba & Obertan coming in, along with this big french contingent of midfielders they have bought could really do damage to the lesser teams. They already had a strong side with players like Tiote.

Sunderland:These would be my main dark horses for the League, with the players theyve bought they could easily get into the top 7 and i'd like to see them go 1 better.

Who else has some dark horses for the League? ...
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Controversial choice that will be scoffed at by the Man Utd fans but I think City will do better than people think. A team of superstars doesn't always make a superstar team but if you put enough talent on a pitch together they will start winning, as was proved last year when they got the cup
Peteko 3 years ago
They certainly would have gelled better as a team if they had a more responsible captain.

You are right about Stoke. They have cemented their defence and Pulis is turning his attention to the attacking department
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
I would hardly describe the richest club in the world {through their owners cash} as dark horses ant, they are being touted as possible winners, now the teams I have mentioned ARE dark horses, stoke/sunderland, possibly villa
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I misunderstood the question as meaning "which team might win the league that you wouldn't expect". I'll read slower next time!
I really wouldnt want to see City do well, they have ruined football already and if they do win it we can all just write that season of as "a draw" ;P
Getting older ant, the old mincers are not what they used to be.... Lol
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I don't want City to do well either, they will be playing champions league but they have the depth to deal with it and I hope they get knocked out quick in the champions league hahaha. As for the prem most people are tipping them to do really well, I would prefer they do better than United but if for some reason they struggle I would be really happy about it
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Yea, Stoke are proving rugby teams can play in the Premier League
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I don't think Tevez is the captain any more, isn't it Kompany now?
I like that Footyfan15, haha.
Btw Ayyam why have you got Lukaku on your pic? He won't get a game for years, then will leave. Unless Torres doesn't score, oh wait.... ;P
Three dark horses.... Stoke/sunderland, they have spent money and bought quality, maybe villa
Sam (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
I agree with Stoke and Sunderland being dark horses and causing a bunch of upsets this season.... I think Aston Villa will regress this season, having lost the talent that they did and then signing McLeish to steer the club; it's all a recipe for disaster. I think my third dark horse would be Bolton, only because Coyle is due to make some more shrewd signings (it's been rumored SWP will be headed there) and their level of play seems to have only gotten better under Coyle
They have brought in a few tasty players sam, like n'zogbia, they have bent, and last years kids like bannan and albrighton {who I rate} will only improve, so I don't think things will be so bad for aston villa
Tony, you forgot Kieran Clark who scored against Arsenal & 2 against chelsea from CB, plays everywhere too. Bannan looks good.
Also they have given between the sticks, who we all know is a world class shot-stopper
I know mate, I just didn't want to name all their kids, it was only an example, clark is a great player
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
For me it's Stoke and Swansea. I see Swansea having a fairy tale season like Blackpool did last season. With Scott Sinclair as their stand out player
Would love to see Swansea do well, they play some lovely football, as do QPR, its just all down to if they can do that in the premier league, if they can i'd love to see them stay up. Can't wait to see 1 of our youngsters playing in their 1st team this season too (Caulker)
I am thinking Wolves will do well this season. They beat most if not all of the big clubs last season just struggled to get results against smaller clubs. I was really impressed with Hennessey last season and this kid Hamill they have coming as a winger looks pretty classy. Kevin Doyle, Fletcher and Ebans Blake aren't a bad set of strikers either. Of course Matt Jarvis will be a key player as well as Doyle, Elokobi is one of my favorite full backs in the prem right now and they got some center back who is supposed to be pretty good so we will see where they go.

Mick McCarthy is just class through and through as well
Good shout. They are awesome at home but need to get a bit of away form together. Theyve bought Roger Johnson from Birmingham who was ebing touted by liverpool & Arsenal. Great player and still young.
In the paper the other day wolves were the longest shout to win the league with 3000/1. Swansea & QPR were only 1500/1!
Ya they are certainly not fancied but they showed their class last season to stay up and may ride that momentum. I was impressed with some of their performances against the big four last season and it will be interesting to see where they go. Like you said they got to get more away points but they are a force at Molineux and it would be cool to see them impress and maybe finish around 14 or higher
Stoke might be hurt a little by european hangovers, but they will succeed none the less
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
Amongst the teams already mentioned, I agree Sunderland, Stoke & Wolves could do really well.
I'm not too sure about Newcastle, Bolton and Aston Villa. Don't think the newcomers Swansea, Norwich and QPR will last the distance, though they could cause the occasional upset.
I will also throw in WBA as a team who can be up there amongst the 8-10 best teams...
If they can keep Odemwingie, and continue Roy's momentum, I don't see why not
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
That's it...
Odemwingie hsould be with us by next week, fingers crossed!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football