Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Players To Watch In 09/10!
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I would keep an eye on Palacios. Amazing talent
VivalaSAM (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
He is so important to Spurs.... Really helps control the middle of the field
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
For me fabregas will carry arsenal just as much as arshaven. I think they suit eachother perfectly to be honest. Arshaven loves to have the ball at his feet and beat defenders while also having a killer goal scoring instinct while fabregas is the man who feeds everyone with perfect through balls. Almost all of arsenals best goals last season were set up by the spaniards perfect flicks and dinks. Oh and I also speaking of flicks, did anyone notice that almost perfect shot that hit the post only for eduardo to hit it into the back of the net. Beautiful that
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Milner will also do well this season I think. Showed some great skill in the england game against holland
Jeroen (Barcelona) 5 years ago
As a patriotic Belgian I've gotta' say you left out Thomas Vermaelen He already made quite the impact in his first game for Arsenal. The header with which he scored wasn't too hard (just bad marking by Everton's defenders), but if you watched the whole game, you could see he was excellent in the Gunners defence. No mistakes at all, simply brilliant. He kinda takes me back to the Paolo Maldini days. No attacker could fool Paolo and he somehow always was at the right place at the right time
Hisperati (Barcelona) 5 years ago
The average goal scorer in the world cup is 24. For every experienced player that can make a mark, there are several young unmentioned upstarts
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Youngsters to watch out for this season (21 or under):
Keiran Gibbs, Arron Ramsey, Jose Baxter, Jay Emmanual Thomson, Kiko Macheda, Danny Wellbeck, Jonny Evans, Theo Walcott, Carlos Vela, Kyle Naughton, Daniel Sturridge, Junior Stanislas, Jack Collison, Darren Gibson, Fabian Delph.... Etc....

Please fill any blanks I missed....
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Fabio and Rafael, that's if they can get some playing time though
And Ritchie De Laet from Man U; with many of their defenders uncertain, he might well take his first steps into PL football with success. Apparently Fergie is very pleased about his training performances and definitely about the games he's already played. He's an all-rounder: very fast, strong and an excellent header
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Yea I agree Ritchie De Laet could be a big surprise and might start a few times. For me Rafael and Fabio will both get some decent playing time this season.

But I don't think Daniel Sturridge will play very often! Only F. A and English cup. I would like to see Jose Baxter play more and well (favourite because I always buy him on fifa 09 )
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Same here about Jose Baxter, as well as James Vaughn and Jack Rodwell. To bad Fellaini is already holding down the stopper position
Illskillz718 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Yo half that list you put up comes from Arsenal, lol. It speaks volumes to Wenger and staff and their development of young players. Definitely Ramsey, Baxter, Rodwel, Vella, Delph, Walcott is an obvious one (although he's got more playing time than some of these guys mentioned). Evans looks promising, could get more playing time but he's got an ankle injury that's been bothering him for some time now, might need surgery. Chelsea should loan out Sturridge because that man is not gonna' have playing time at Stamford Bridge
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Nice choice about Baxter, but we won't see him up for Everton regularly though. Maybe Rodwell or Gosling, Rodwell just scored 2 screamers a few weeks ago against Sigma Olomouc
Bhawk11 (Bayern München) 5 years ago
Andrei arshavin
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
No one wants to mention Jack Rodwell from Everton? He's a powerful kid, who's already had a handful of first team appearances. This season he'll prove that he's can become one of the top center backs/ center mids in the game
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I think the chealsea players will play really well next season
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Erm next season or this season?
Woops, double post
Here's my list for the other leagues, since most (if not all) players listed so far play in the PL.

1/ Sergio Asenjo (Atlético Madrid goalkeeper):
Only 20, but already a goalkeeper with extraordinary skills, he's been called the next Casillas, and there are many good reasons for that. Casillas is also one of those rare goalies that are already exceptionally good at a young age. They both have cat-like reflexes, dominate their area, rarely ever make mistakes and can be relied upon when the defenders aren't doing a good job. Asenjo's impressive physique only adds to his skills and I'm sure we'll be hearing more from him soon.

2/ Sergio 'kun' Aguëro (Atlético Madrid striker):
An Argentinian pal of Leo Messi with comparable assests: extremely fast, excellent technique and a killer in front of goal. Though Messi is still one or two levels above him, the 'king' could become a revelation.

3/ Pedro (Barcelona winger/ attacking midfielder):
Has shown he's ready for more games for the Blaugrana recently and has always been one of the stars when he was younger, like Bojan and Messi before him.

4/ Mario Balotelli (Inter striker):
Very fast and powerful striker, is able to hit the ball with great skill and could become Eto'o's best buddy soon enough. He needs to control his temper on and off the pitch though.

5/ Gerard Piqué (Barça central defender):
Although a lot of people already know him thanks to his stay at Man UTD and his excellent performances last year, I feel that he will be the next leading man in Barça's defence for the coming ages, treading in the footsteps of Puyol.

6/ Sébastian Giovinco (Juventus attacking midfielder):
Del Piero himself tutors him and he says that Giovinco has the same skills he has: dribbling skills that make defenders wonder if they shouldn't just go home and do something useful, great vista and the ability to hit the ball with the utmost precision.

7/ Yoann Gourcuff (Bordeaux central midfielder):
Voted last year's best player in the French Ligue 1, Yoann Gourcuff is often seen as the new Zidane (although there can never be another Zidane IMHO) for the striking parallels: both are French, both have extraordinary technique on all fronts and both are creative midfielders that so often determine the result. Gourcuff is praised for his pinpoint passing game, his ability to spot a chance and his dribbling skill. Also possesses a powerful long range shot and combines this all with an impressive physique.

8/ Edin Dzeko (Wolfsburg striker):
Perhaps the best player in this list right now, Edin Dzeko is a striker that has it all: intelligence, power, creativity, speed, technique, a great shot, aerial supremacy and the determined mind of a true winner. Was voted best play in the German Bundesliga last year and was 2nd on the topscorer list, finishing after his Wolfsburg co-striker Grafite. Without a doubt one of the stars of the future.

9/ Eden Hazard (LOSC Lille attacking midfielder/striker):
A Belgian speedster comparable to Theo Walcott, he has been Lille's most important player, voted the best youngster in the French Ligue 1 last year, which says a lot, because there are numerous great youngsters there. This is the game against Lyon, the best club in France, where he simply stole the show:

10/ Marko Marin (Mönchengladbach winger/attacking midfielder):
A very small but very skilled German winger, I'll let you find out for yourself:

11/ Hugo Lloris (Goalkeeper Olympique Lyon):
A goalie that seems to be made to keep balls from flying into the back of the net, much like my other favourite Sergio Asenjo. His reflexes are superhuman and his ability to leap off the ground is as if gravity only works half as much on him.

And finally my favourite young player:

12/ moussa dembele (AZ Alkmaar attacking midfielder):
The player that Belgians and Dutch people can't get enough from. This Belgian winger is famed for using his strength and great skill to make a fool of defenders and for his spectacular goals. Very much comparable to Zlatan Ibrahimovic I think, although Zlatan is a killer striker, and Dembélé is a fast winger. Find out for yourself,

Check out those last 2 youtube links, I swear those will be the best 5 minutes of the day
Mattdog87 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think Benzema will also prove formidable in la liga this year, picking him to outshine Ronaldo and Kaka
I like Dembele as well! I used to always play him on FIFA....
SirhCRocks (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Looks like he can definitely finish, why isn't he on a top team yet?
Barça were interested, Arsenal as well, Genoa (4th-5th team in Italy) offered 20mil, but eventually he stayed put. He's the star of AZ Alkmaar, by far the best team in Holland right now and they also play the champions league. They were even in the 2nd batch of the champions league draw, next to teams like Real, Inter, Lyon, Juve, .... Dembélé will most likely be gone next season, but for now he's bound to shine for AZ one more year
VivalaSAM (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Some names that I haven't heard mentioned yet: Yuri Zhirkov at Chelsea, Michael Owen at Man United, Jozy Altidore at Hull, and Barry Ferguson at Birmingham....

Not necessarily because I think they'll do well, but more because I'm interested to see what each of these players can bring to the table and whether they will get playing time (Ferguson is probably guaranteed the most).
UgoDroPiero (Juventus) 5 years ago
Jozy Altidore, Frazier Campbell, Andrew Johnson, Stuart Downing

Eduardo! & Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Tevez hopefully a little more than Adebayor (dreamfooty do work!)

Rooney! & Anderson
(if Fergie will give him some playing time more than Fletcher/Valencia or will he just save for euro-play?)

Nani (thanks, ronaldo)

David Bentley (is he still on Hotspur?!?!?!?)

Joe COLE!

Dirk KUYT!

*****melo / giovinco / diego / amauri / sissoko / cannavaro *****

I doubt Bentley will shine....
He did crap last year.... Started well, but it soon became a season he wouldn't want to remember....
I don't see that changing....
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Lol Seriousley man. Nani = Average. Bentley = Reserve Team
UgoDroPiero (Juventus) 5 years ago
Oh yeah--  Gio Dos Santos looks confident and strong    And of course THEO walcott AND VELA
Chelsea2009 (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Drogba-- Under new manager  Rooney and Tevez

Kick4Life - changing lives through football