Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Players To Watch In 09/10!
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Well the new season is starting! My question is, who's gonna' make the biggest difference for their teams? Who's gonna' make the season more exciting than the last? Who should we keep an eye on for the whole season?
It can be in any league...
I found this article on the "Top 10 Prem Players to Shine in 09/10"
With only one day remaining until the footballing extravaganza that is the Barclays Premier League gets under way, ExtraFootie takes a look at the ten players we are tipping to light up this season.

10. Chris McCann (Burnley) - A box-to-box midfielder with a great engine, McCann played an instrumental role in helping the club reach the promised land. He is neat and tidy on the ball and will be a big player for Coyle's men this season. If the Clarets go down, expect the young Irishman to be on many team's shopping list next summer.

9. Marouane Fellaini (Everton) - He may need a haircut but there can be no doubting the Belgian's quality. Used as a makeshift centre-forward last season, Fellaini bullied and harrassed defenders. Expect the same this campaign only in his favoured midfield position. Will hope to score more, while receiving less yellow cards! (12 last season).

8. Luka Modric (Tottenham Hotspur) - After a slow start to life in England the Croatian will undoubtedly be the scurge of many this season. A fantastic dribbler with an eye for the slide rule pass, the 23-year-old also works hard for the team and could be the man to inspire Spurs into the top four.

7. Fabian Delph (Aston Villa) - He may be new to the Premier League scene, but he has all the attributes to be a sensation. Under the careful guidance of Martin O'Neill he will flourish and could prove to be the buy of the summer. In the Steven Gerrard mould in that he will not be afraid to put his foot in and can pass with both feet.

6. Hugo Rodallega (Wigan Athletic) - A surprise choice perhaps, but there is no doubting the Colombian has bags of potential. Strong, quick and good with both feet, the 24-year-old has had six months to settle at the DW Stadium and expect him to terrorise defences this season. Martinez's style should suit him perfectly.

5. Stephen Ireland (Manchester City) - City's Player of the Year last season and rightfully so, the Irishman has quickly established himself as one of the finest midfielders in the Premier League. Forget the big-money arrivals at Eastlands - if Mark Hughes' men are to do well this season Ireland will be key. Fantastic football brain.

4. Didier Drogba (Chelsea) - The tormentor in chief at Stamford Bridge. Amazingly he has only scored more than 20 goals in a season once and that's not good enough for a player with his ability. He bullies defenders and under Ancelotti could inspire the Blues to glory this campaign. Needs to keep a lid on that temper though.

3. Andrey Arshavin (Arsenal) - The Russian genuis scored six goals and created seven more in his first 15 games for the Gunners - expect more of the same this season. Technically superb, Arshavin in tandem with Cesc and van Persie is a frightening thought. The catalyst for a top-four finish perhaps? Even the title? Maybe.

2. Wayne Rooney (Manchester United) - 'Cometh the hour cometh the man' - and United will certain need 'Wazza' to step up to the plate now that Ronaldo and Tevez have left. 'Fergie' has backed him to get 25 goals plus this season and who could bet against him. Set for a central role this term and he should thrive on it!

1. Fernando Torres (Liverpool) - Quite simply, he is the best centre forward in the world (when fit). He is quick, strong and scores goals and defenders can not rattle him. Leads the line with authority and class. Predictable inclusion it may be, but breathtaking quality. The ace in the pack as the Reds end their 20 year wait?

Comments?
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Nice pick on Fabian Delph. I was glad to see that he finally left Leed's United. Aston Villa is a good place for him to start off in the EPL
I know, he's agreat young player.... He'l thrive under O'Niel...
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I would switch Torres and Rooney
Ninsane (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Where is Darren Fletcher?
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 5 years ago
Fletcher are you having a laugh
ImnotWalkinAlon (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Fletcher? He's not on the list? Oh well, good then, because he aint good enough (yet)
Somere (Portmore Utd) 5 years ago
Where is nani?  He will shine this season
Dhanasil (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Rooney Should be No. 1
On3two (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Just because Ronaldo has gone I don't think Nani will shine. He hasn't done enough so far this season but I do hope he does his part. Rooney will be/ has been great this season but I think Torres is going to take top spot
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Disagree with drogba.

To inconsistent for me and his attitude is wrong. I think he will score 10-17 goals this season, but unlike last season this season will be a higher scoring one for the stars of each team (like 2 seasons ago with ronaldo, torres, and ade all putting over 30 I think it was).

Instead of drogba I think it will be a big season for someone like, Giovani dos santos or some other young star
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I replace Drog by Ashley Young
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Exactly what I was thinking
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Drogba was great today. So many people rule him out but he still has amazing ability. Just for the record, I hate him.
Me too he just scores amazing goals
An amazing Free-kick!  But a flukey chip.... He himself admitted that it was supposed to be a cross...
Yeah, I sort of assumed that. That freekick was Ronaldo-esque
Dali (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Why Didier? I can't stand him and his gross girl-hair.

I say to watch for Manchester United's young kids: Rafael, Fabio, Welbeck, and Macheda.
Even though they're young, I'm expecting a lot from these kids.

Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
I would add in McFadden, he has been great in Everton and now he is in Birmingham and he is really a source to the goals in Birmingham. Robbie Keane is also one of the players to watch after a miserable season with Liverpool last season, but when he got back to Tottenham, his form gained back. So he would be one to watch.

For other leagues, Diego would really shine for Juve. I hope Ibra would score wonders and make Barcelona achieve even better than what they achieve last season (Finish La Liga with more goals, win Champions League fairer, and win all other leagues they can possibly win)
I'm Thinking Ashley young and Lennon they have a lot to prove and I think they will.  
Especially with the World Cup coming soon, they'll want to up their performances to show Capello...
Deffo I'm looking forward to it
How about Chris Eagles of Burnley?! He's really good and has good pace to him
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Chris Eagles is s**t, theres a reason Man Utd rarely played him and ended up selling him. He hasnt got the ability of any of the players mentioned on this page
What!? Lol I think Eagles is quite talented. Yes, I do think he'll have a problem with some of the premier (no pun intended) power backs in the league, but he is a very technical dribbler, which will help carry him through the season. Don't forget that he was a major part of Burnley's success in the Championship last season
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
I definitley agree with wayne rooney he will do amazing in 09/10! He is going to be top goal scorer and he will be nominated for player of the year again! I can't wait to see wayne rooney bring the premeir league championship and the champions league and the FA cup!
Elucari (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Dirk Kuyt, I predicting a super season from him
He's gonna' play a major part in our attack....  Always setting up goals for El Nino!
[account-removed] 5 years ago
I'm not sure with kuyt, I have a bad feeling that he's hit his pinnacle but hopefully he'l prove me wrong
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
I think Valencia is going to have a good season with Manchester United. He is a player to watch and his pre-season has been going pretty good
Cesc Fabregas needs to be on that list. He really showed his quality today and the amount of vision his possesses. Right now, I believe he's the best central midfielder in the Premiership
Now....
Who said Drogba would not shine this season?
2 magnificent goals against hull speaks for itself....
Hope he can cotinue his great form! 'cause, he's on my Dreamfooty team!
He's a great player, no doubt
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
Exactly. Everyone is like, 'oh he misses 3-5 chances a game!', but the thing is, he gets chances, and, whether they're ugly or not, he scores. We all hate him, I know some Chelsea fans do too, for his attitutde, but the man scores goals
[account-removed] 5 years ago
I can see macheda having a top season if he gets the chances under sir alex and also nani I thi nnk might thrive now ronaldos gone. Glen Johnson looks like a player who is about to peak, one of the only high points from our recent loss to tot hotspur. Arshavin is going big this season aswell, showed some real potential last season and finally Michael Turner looks like a real quality player who might get a decent run going this season whether he's at hull or not
Aussie1991 (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Nice list, however I must say that Antonio Valencia would be at the top of my list, followed by Vermaelen and Darren Bent
Theshid (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I agree for Valencia and Vermaelen maybe i'll add glen johnson
Theshid (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I agree for Valencia and Vermaelen maybe i'll add glen johnson
Hithere (Manchester United) 5 years ago
For me, I think we should keep an eye on Jack Wilshere of Arsenal. Wenger said Wilshere will get a chance to play and I'm curious to see how he'll do this season since he played superbly in the two pre-season matches.

As for mote experienced players, I think Arshavin and Stephen Ireland will do well this year
Probably won't see much of Wilshere this season, though. Unless we get a bunch of injuries as usual

Kick4Life - changing lives through football