Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Pep Guardiola's Depature.
Alexinho (AC Milan) 1 year ago
As the title state, here we will discuss what we think will happen to Barcelona now that their brain is leaving as well as where we think Pep will return (if he return).

Pep Guardiola did confirm 27. 04. 2012 in a press conference 13:45 or so that his time in Barcelona has now come to an end. He has known about this decision for some time now and the press conference is still going as I make this topic.

Just before we start, here is the achievement he got time to collect in his 4 years before this depature:

Achievements:
La Liga: 2008-2009 | 2009-2010 | 2010-2011
Copa Del Rey 2008-2009 (maybe 2011-2012)
Supercopa de Espana 2009 | 2010 | 2011
Uefa Champions League 2008-2009 | 2010-2011
Uefa Super Cup 2009 | 2011
Fifa Club World Cup 2009 | 2011

Career total: 239 games 175 wins 46 draw 19 loss with a total goal difference at 615-173

Individual
Iffhs World's Best Club Coach of the Year (2): 2009, 2011
Don Balon Award for Best Coach of the Year (3): 2009, 2010, 2011
Onze d'Or Coach of the Year (2): 2009, 2011
Miguel Muñoz Trophy (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
World Soccer Magazine World Manager of the Year (2): 2009, 2011
Uefa Team of the Year Best Coach (2): 2008–09, 2010–11
La Liga Coach of the Year (3): 2009, 2010, 2011
Catalan of the Year Award (1): 2009
Fifa Ballon d'Or Best Coach (1): 2011

______________________________________________________________________________________

So who could possibly follow up such a record over just 4 years which are better than what most excellent coaches would manage to achieve in a life time.

Tito is the guy who is announced to be the new man in charge, at least for now, which also fits with their tradition of bringing up their assistant coaches to take place. This will mean he has been with Pep Guardiola as his right hand for some time and know what the club stands for so it should mean it won't be big changes in their philosophy, and that should be a good thing. Despite a bad week, they have still been the best club in the world last 4 years.

Of course, doing the same as Pep has done last 4 years should be a challenge to big for anyone and I am still in the believe that Barcelona will be weakened by this and think the question is rather about how much.

Please state your thoughts here about it if you have any
Franky4fingers (Barcelona) 1 year ago
It will be quite difficult for any coach to fill the shoes after Pep's departure. Tito has known Pep for 5 years and is known to be half the brain behind Pep's teams and strategy. You can't say if Tito will be able to carry on the team with the same dominance that Barca has shown for the past 4 years but it is most likely that Barca's style is not going to change. A lot remains to be seen after the end of summer when transfers affect every team. Dani Alves seems to be heading out. I have a strong feeling Villa will be offloaded as well. There are rumors Pedro is on his way out. Puyol will probably have his last year, next. Eric Abidal is definitely going to be gone. Based on the amount of changes I'm expecting, next year is going to be a turbulent year for the club. It is very difficult for Barcelona to replace all these players and produce the same results, considering the fact that Barcelona isn't completely out of the woods when it comes to financial stability. We are going to see a weaker side with Xavi playing a lesser role, Cuenca and Tello taking up bigger responsibilities and Pique having to carry most of the burden at the back.

Pep's departure will definitely weaken the side but Barca will suffer more because of departures of key players and the lack of funds to supplement these losses which will render them in-competitive in the current atmosphere of extreme spending. Barca fans.... Brace yourself for a year of taunting from all the teams' fans whom you've been taunting for the past 4 years. If Tito manages to restore Barca's glory, then I believe he can be considered even better than Pep
Peteko 1 year ago
Choosing Tito means that the club hopes to continue with Pep's philosophy of football. I wouldn't be surprised if Tito knew about this for some times now and the both of them have worked on how to pass the baton and how to smooth the transition
Josue (Barcelona) 1 year ago
I agree. I think that the transition will be very smooth and that little will change. There will be a few personnel shifts but that happens every year. I predict nothing disastrous will occur and that the team will probably experience even more success.

I don't see Villa moving. He will want to finish this coming season healthy and add his name to the growing Barca pantheon of legends. I feel the same about Dani. Both players want to be on the best possible team and that is Barca. Both also want to be paid a lot and Barca has the highest average salary per player on the planet (I. E. You get what you pay for . Pedro had an off year and will want to prove himself again. I think that the team want this for him as well and will keep him around. He is still very, very useful.

This past season gave us the best Barca (except for most stats in La Liga) under Pep despite injury issues. The current trend is that each successive squad has built upon the awards garnered from the prior season (I. E. They keep getting better!). It is possible that Tito will have an even better year than the current campaign.

Tito is essentially Pep. Both started at Barca be at the same time. Both are from La Masia and have an almost identical insight into the team and philosophy. If anything, Tito can bring all the knowledge and ability Pep has PLUS the determination, energy and focus that Pep, self admiteddly, is now lacking.

To be honest I am as excited for the upcoming season as I was when I first heard that Pep was being promoted

Kick4Life - changing lives through football