Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Onyewu To Milan
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
AC Milan signed the first American player to an Italian club since Alexi Lalas in the 90's. The former Standard Leige back penned a deal for three years. According to sources, odds are, he will start, as the Milanese defence is riddled with veterans nearing their ends. How do you think he will do? Is this the right choice for Uguchi?
TheRonaldo7 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
I heard that there were about 300 fans outside the stadium protesting of the lack of "Major signings"

AC milan were competing for, the Italian league looks to be diminishing every year!
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I know aren't they, I saw this news before. No money no players, they may be falling behind the Bundesliga. Now Italian teams are resigned to mostly old guys
Bundesliga is far more exciting than the Italian League!

Although the prestige of clubs are not as great as the Italians, the gap in level of quality from Winning Bundesliga to Relegation is far smaller than most leagues
Ltm017 5 years ago
Really? I'm just a little shocked. I don't like him much but he has really showed himself. He was one of the key players in the US getting so far in the Cofederations Cup.... This is something I would really have to see
SoundersFC23 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
Congrats to onyewu
Yeah congrats to him, he had a stunning tournament which has now got him one of the biggest clubs in the world!
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Yeah, well didn't he turn down birmingham a couple weeks ago? Smart guy
Syraph (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
I think this a great sign for the US national team. They were talking about getting starting roles in major clubs and Onyewu has done just that. I think that in Milan's current situation, Onyewu will start, and that will be really good for his career and for the US
Inspire future generations?

Hmm.... Ideally he has to really become the best defender in the team, and become a major icon in europe to inspire USA as a whole but none the less its a good start!
Yes and well he's not exactly John Terry
Hill (Arsenal) 5 years ago
You mean, John Terry isn't exactly Oneywu
LOOL! I like the optimism and proud defiance!
Mohsink (AC Milan) 5 years ago
I still don't think that he'll be able to do well this season.... Only if he gets lucky. The Belgian league is definitely not as tactically capabal as the Serie A and it'll take a while for him to get used to it. As a Milan fan, I didn't really want to see this signing, we still need some good young blood (20-25). This could either be a masterstroke or a complete failure. Now to get Huntelaar or Fabiano!
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Hey, he did well enough against Spain in the Confederations Cup and you don't get much more technically capable as those group of chumps. Congrats to Onyewu, hopefully he'll get ample experience to bring with him to the defensive line of the US national team
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I was expecting him to go to a good club with the tournament he had, but certainly not the upper echelon of clubs like AC Milan haha good luck to him though
Terry1905 (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Congrats to Onyewu for landing in such a great club. I picture him as a brick wall on the defence as everyone can tell during the match against Spain in the confederations cup. He was able to block almost everything and AC Milan will definitely improve with that this season. I just think he needs to work on his clearing and eye for the field and he will make an impression in the Series A.

Great boost for US soccer
Fact is, wether he used to play in Belgian 1 or the EPL doesn't matter. He's a physical presence in the center, which a lot of clubs don't have. You guys say "I hate how ACM don't go and buy big players with this. If you can get a solid central defender for this cheap, why wouldn't you buy him
TFoAV (Whitecaps) 5 years ago
Onyewu earned that contract after his play against Spain in the Confed Cup. Any team in Europe would love to have a guy that big playing defence for them, and Milan just got it in Gooch. Good signing for Milan, especially with their ancient defence that they have right now
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
Onyewu did deserve that contract he did wonders for the US in the confederations cup, the thing is will he start...
Yeah, all the other US players in Europe never played, and their performance suffered. Look at who performed in Confed Cup. Dempsey gets playing time with Fulham, Donovan with Galaxy, and Howard with Everton
Micheal Bradley plays very frequently
He's at Borrusia Mongeladhadhflashflkhsdljhfhoweverit'sspelled. He gets time. Another example, Michael Beasley. He never played at Rangers, thus his play suffered
Silvascreen (AC Milan) 5 years ago
Onyewu and Time Howard are the real reasons the US did so well in the confed Cup. This is good for AC Milan, now we need to get another scorerer, and someone to hold down the midfield now that Kaka is gone. Let's see if they go after Fabiano and Huntelaar
I have faith in Pato, who will soon be the face of the franchise. And they are going after those two forwards. Bid info specified here:

Link: soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=659466&sec=eur...
Peter Crouch and Eto'o have also been rumoured
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Yea I hope they get good signings
BenBro (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I believe if more players (not just the USA team any players) such as Onyewu can get a chance to play with top quality teams we will see more improvement, playing in different countries is such a boost for your talent, I have played in Brazil, England, all over the USA, and played for the Bordeaux youth program in France and it was incredible, over here it is no where near the same
Problem with American Soccer is that Americans are teaching it. The theories and tactics used in Europe haven't been introduced to the US. How many US players actually display touch and passing ability? Name me more than 3...
BenBro (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Yup, I agree, I love the camps that actually have people come in from different countries who have played professionally and teach kids, but it still lacks enthusiasm from the kids which is another problem, they are all pushed into football, baseball, and basketball mainly
Thowley88 (AS Roma) 5 years ago
I'm really happy to see any American play in a major European league. Lets just hope he can handle playing against the likes of Ibrahimovic, Gilardino, and Inzaghi on a regular basis. He's going to have to play like he did against Spain every game. Plus San Siro is an awesome stadium, but there will be a ton of supporters there who he is going to have to win over. I think he'll be a little shaky at first, but he will settle down after a few games
One thing Americans Posses are defenders and GoalKeepers.... That's about the beginning and the end. He should do alright, he didn't seem to be phased by Brazil, Spain, or Italy and if I'm not mistaken that's as good as talent pools get, to gauge his composure

Kick4Life - changing lives through football