Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Now Where Are Those Who Said Torres Was Worth 50 Mil But Carroll Was Not 35
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
It's somewhat hard to judge because Chelsea bought a player that is terribly out of form, but he is a proven goal scorer and still has enormous potential for the club. That being said if he doesn't get his confidence back and the situation just keeps getting worse, it may snowball and Torres will never get back to what he truly can be. There may also be a little something called Karma involved in all this, but I am not holding anything against Torres anymore. Although on my black Carlsberg Liverpool kit I did peel his name off the back so it just has a number 9 took me hours. I think he will prove himself though at Chelsea, just a matter of character and confidence. Although when he came to Liverpool he started scoring immediately, I believe his first was against Chelsea, c'est la vie. Hugely different atmosphere though, one of positivity and excitement at Liverpool, expectations and resentment at Chelsea.

As for Carroll he looks to be a cracking player, super excited to see him get his first goal for England than a couple weeks later bag a brilliant brace for Liverpool. 35 million is a lot but he just needs to keep working hard and trying to improve under the King and goals will keep coming. Hopefully he and Luis and Stevie G can form a great understanding and chemistry, we could be amazing going forward next season. If we win the title next season, or any trophy, yes he is worth the money
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Simple. Chelsea should have brought in a player that would help the strikers, not another one. For example if they had brought aguero, he woulda paired differently with drogba, he isn't the best striker but his link up play would have worked with chelsea
BoboRed (Leeds United) 3 years ago
Torres is now just 2/1 not to score a goal before the end of the season with the bookies
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Look at liam, he's back and kicking ass.    Lol whats the odds for him scoring against west brom? Lmfao.
He's 2/1 to score against the Baggies!
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I hope he does score against them it would relieve some of the pressure on him
Maybe if carlo had been given full control of the 50m he would have spent it differently but tbh I would rather buy an out of form torres than an in form caroll
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Would you rather Suarez, Chicarito and one other similar player, or an out of form Torres? Chelsea bought him on the hope they could 'fix' him, but eleven games later (or however many) and its the same issue. Lets not also forget that he spends half a season injured, he has lost pace and his mentality is completely wrong.

How must it feel for Drogba, who scored for fun and loves to play, to be sitting on the bench?
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Drogba only sat on the bench because Carlo was trying to do something "special".... He started like 5 straight games before that, and will surely continue to do so now that hes' getting back to his regular self. And imo all Torres needs to do is keep shooting - and one day it will finally go in for him
No doubt, I look forward to watching back at his best. Shevchenko used to be one of my favourite players and it saddened me to see him wither away. I wouldn't wish that on any player, so hopefully before long Torres is smashing away goals again
Yeah shevchenko played a huge part in getting me into football (FIFA 07), but Ant I think that there was a huge difference in sheva and nando. Sheva barley got playing time under Mou, and Carlo is more than happy to play Torres
I guess Mou was more willing to do what he thought was the best option. Carlo probably played torres because of Roman and because he was under pressure to
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Absolutely, how silly!
Anyways, now Torres needs to focus on his game for the 7 remaining EPL games, hit the net, and get his confidence back. Chelsea also need to build the team around Torres, thus preparing next seson well.

We don't want to see Torres endiing up being the Worst Signing of all time
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Is it also possible that Drogba is still not entirely fit to play 90 mins so Carlo alternates for more than one reason?  
I think Drogba is 100% fit
If torres is worth 50million, god knows how much chicharito is worth. Although the ridiculous price tag on both these players, torres and caroll are both great buys. We can't critise torres for not scoring, he has been trying and him alone was never gonna' fix chelsea's problems. As scoring goals isn't really their main problem, their problems starts at the back
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 3 years ago
Why do you compare Torres to Chicharito? Torres has proven himself already and most people would have seen the tranfer as reasonable (although clearly over priced)
Hernandes yes great finisher but even I wouldnt sign him for 15m

But both Caroll and Torres over priced imo
Actually if you have seen a chelsea match since we played at st andrews, It our back that has been the best, you only notice the defensive accidents because they are far from few. Back to my point is that Chelsea worries have been all attack up until drogba's return to form. Know our midfield is working (read:lampard). Just clearing that up
ManUK (Manchester United) 3 years ago
With Torres being worth 50m then Hernandez is worth 60-70m in a realistic world. Honestly who thinks Chicha is worth less than Torres in their current states?
You wouldnt sign chico for 15mill? You mad, he is clearly the best young striker in the premier ship, he has been scoring consistantly when given the chance to play. I'm comparing both to how much effort both put in thier play, torres can't give a cr*p on some days when chico gives it his all
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Just keep having faith in him, he'll score one day
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 3 years ago
50mil and having to wait for a goal
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Quite frankly, Torres should not start crucial games like yesterdays, simply because he`s not in the right state of mind at the moment, which affects his performance on the pitch. We know his skills and abilities, but to me when a player doesn`t score for games and is not confident, what`s the point in using him in a top match against United to the expense of Chelsea. FC, when you have Drogba!? Torres was transparent. Ancelotti has shown too much empathy now, especially for those 2 champions league quarter-final matches.

Probably the idea was that great players deliver in great crucial matches
I'm not a fan of either club, but I'd rather have a proven striker that is bang out of form, than a proven wife beater who has scored a few goals for two bad teams
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
LOOOL
Carroll was married? What at 18? I would not recommend someone to marry him even at the age of 40. No one who beats his wife qualifies to be called a man. But I'd still rather have him than Torres on the pitch. And I am not someone who disrespects Torres.
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Torres is nowhere fitting in the chelsea's line up and that is why he isn't able to score....
And why would anybody spend 50 mn pound?

If they are sure and have seen that player playing fine in the past.... Torres not scoring for chelsea does not mean he does not know how to play.... He'll find his form.... Everybody have rough phases in their carrer....

And 35 mn pound for carroll where circumstantial? It was last day of transfer market and liverpool had to do something to replace torres.... And I know carroll is not worth more than 20 mn pound.... But he is talented and m happy to have him at the cost of torres....
I read today that Torres can only operate as a lone striker, but Chelsea usually play two up front. So either Chelsea reform around Torres in the hope he starts improving, or he sits on the bench and rots away his career like Shevchenko. I'd hate to see that happen because I've seen Torres score some of the best goals I've ever seen.

Sorry for the s**t video, best I could find

That's what Chelsea paid for, but so far, not what they got
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
That was the best you could find Ant? How about this one:

Looked for a Torres @ Chelsea compilation, but couldn't find one.

Anyway, 50m for Torres would've been a fair price two years ago, right now it was obvious it was far too much. The same goes for Carroll, although the moment he was bought, his talent, his young age and great attitude can potentially justify the high price.

Fernando, nunca caminarás solo?
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
@ant :-

Yeah man how can I forget that goal.... I literally bounced of from my chair and shouted like anything !

Hope those dos days comes soon for torres!
But more than torres I miss the squad we had that season, alonso, benayoun and riera...
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I think he understands the concept, its just hard to decipher in such a poorly written comment
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
Funny thing how Torres The God is now subject to hate and ridicule from the Liverpudlians...
Khaimet (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Just like Owen you mean? Funny all you think is people have the same thinking like you. We never want Torres to leave, he made the decision. So you did it to your ownself and you live with it. Understand now Spurs?
No...
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Me neither.... Huh?!
If Gareth Bale wore an Arsenal shirt for his new team next season you might understand it a little better
Well, Carrick and Berbatov left for United.... I still don't lay my hate on them and take every opportunity to ridicule them as players. Sure it can be disappointing if a top player leaves your club but for f**k's sake it's their lives so they shouldn't be doomed to stay somewhere they don't want to be
Nkrumah (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Andy Carroll is not Worth £35m maybe £18m or £20m but not £35m and Torres £33m I wouldn't pay £50 on Lionel Messi the best striker in the world the Chelsea Manager(Carlo Ancelotti) is stupid to pay that much money on Fernando Torres
Nkrumah (Arsenal) 3 years ago
No I would pay £10m for Andy Carroll not £18m or £20m
Lets judge him next season. He has two goals in four games for Liverpool, and that is the kind of stat that managers would pay big money for
We'll have to see on Carrol. But Torres is just pathetic.

Not only can he not score he also loses the ball and misplaces passes all the time. 50m is something to laugh about
Okay, lets clear this misconception going around the block.

Do you want to know Carlo's greatest stength buddy? Adaptation of silly transfers, and weird roman policies. That is why we hired the italian, he is great with adapting to tranfers (he even taght ramires how to play). He does not call the shots! He is just the man that decides who line-ups every match. And it has to be one of roman's toys
Carlo did not buy Torres. Roman did. Maybe he panicked because of Drogba bout with malaria or whatever he had that threatened his form.
The media made a lot of Torres failure to score (the price that Roman payed helped the buzz). The fans had their expectations. Now, it is not easy to get out of this situation, with everyone counting the minutes since your last goal. Torres will start scoring only when we stop waiting on him to do it
"Torres will start scoring only when we stop waiting on him to do it"    As a Liverpool fan, that's what I thought for the last 18 months
I think 50m pounds justifies people waiting on him to score
SaHac (Hamburger SV) 3 years ago
@Ant, I think that's what Spain was thinking during the WC too...
Exactly, thank you Marc, theres this theory going around that carlo is like SAF, and Wenger wrong! He doesn't have 100% control, but I have a feelin he will be here for a while
Jean0987654321 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Whats the need to bash Torres? He just joined the club! Let him get into his confort zone and then he'll start scoring. Chelsea title hopes are gone and they're prep-ing for next season
I am certainly not someone who bashes Torres. I also see no point in dismissing Carroll. I think the lad has a future
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Neither is worth that kind of money. Hernandez cost 5 times less that carrol and and 7 time less that torres and scored more that both of them

Kick4Life - changing lives through football