Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
No More Transfer Business
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
NO! Why Six Alex we need more players!

Link: soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=660550&sec=eng...
I Guess young Talent?
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
You know, I've been waiting for another big signing from Fergie.... Whether it be Aguero, or Fabiano, or Costa.... But reading this article and seeing what he's said about the market.... He's made the right move.

The market is seriously over inflated by the likes of Real Madrid and Man City willing to pay any amount of money for whatever players they want. This as a result inflates the price of seemingly inexpensive players. Keep the money; if this year isn't a success in some facet, buy players next year when Real Madrid won't be bidding massive figures for anyone and everyone.

Already our squad is still quite strong. Rooney, Berba, Owen, Welbeck, and Macheda up front; Valencia, Nani, Obertan, Giggs, Park, etc on the wings; Hargreaves maybe, Carrick.... Plus the same dominant back four as last year. No new players necessary.... This year is to test the resolve of the younger lads and see who can rise to the occasion (*cough* *cough* Rooney *cough* *cough* Nani *cough*).

I'm interested in what Fergie's plans are this season
Yea it seems we had lots of young guns ready for their jump but they've been held back. This is their year. And if Hargreaves in the center mid I think we don't need and nother center mid like I was thinking. And I am starting to think Owen will do well for us, if he goes back to the glory days of his career, Wow we could really use him.

So We got a strong striking combo and center mid as I have explained. Now The Wings We know Valencia is good and ready for United, Giggs is still running good enough for us, Obertan Looks to be great, if we can get Nani back to good He was Awesome, and Park is good as well.

So good Wings, and look at Rafael from last season he's great at left back and that same back four is great

So now I realize that when you first look at it you think no bad bad! But Really I thik we are just as strong as last season if our players like you said can rise to the Occasion. We have a great squad
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Yes, I was realizing how much the market has gone down, its more like they are just saying they want them. I have been looking on the head lines of espn soccer. Net for like 2 weeks and still no Big new signings! All there is is like ''man city now in race for.... " or "barca in for villa"! Stuff like that but I wonder when the big signings will start again! Hope fully this week! This will be exiting to see the new players go were!
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
Very true, Ballinout. The only changes you guys suffered, really, are Ronaldo And Tevez (never played). You picked up valencia, and Obertan, too. Fact is, you guys still have the most solid back four in the World. I actually like Man United's chances to win the league. Sure, their offence may only give them one goal a game, but that defence, it'll be enough
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Gary neville is not solid but yea you can say that
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Neville is our 4th option at rightback
StrikersMT28 (Seattle Sounders) 5 years ago
Hm.... Well, even with the totally "non-biased" assessment of Neville, Evra, Vidic, and Rio combined are better than any other defence
Rafael performed fantastically last season.... Also, oh Shea will be back there
Rafael, brown, and oshea are all ahead of neville. Neville will only see a couple of games
So your saying rathe than having 1 good right back you prefer to cycle a whole bunch a players okay wow ! I guess that's cool.... ^&%*&(confused)
Clearly we're having issues deciding whether Brown or Rafael are quality right backs or not.... It's your opinion that they're not. It's most other people's opinions that both players have fantastic quality.... And by watching Rafael last season and Brown in seasons past, I'm not entirely sure how you can disagree. Just my opinion
Yes the are they arent stars but they get the job done!
What the heck. End of Discussion
EmYouEffSee (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Honestly if and when hargreaves gets better, that will be like a great new signing. Rafael amazed me last season and I hope he can keep it up as did a lot of our youngsters. Honestly the only transfers we really needed were to make up for losing ronaldo and tevez. Other than that I think we don't need anybody else when we already have the great squad that we do
Giorgakis (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
I agree plus saving money is not a bad thing, then they can buy more players next year
EmYouEffSee (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Yup and when real madrid play man utd in the champions league next season we can show ronaldo why he never shoudlve left both home and away.... Maybe...
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Aslong as fergie is still allowed that 80m for another transfer window I'm happy, I think we can still do well and because of how young our team is there only going to get better.

Plus you never know half way through the year fergie might buy some players then, he might just give the market a few months to settle and then pounce . Can't wait for first perseason this week
He could wait! He working of luck now he will regret it if man utd get trounsed ! It not impossible
Yea he is going to get hammered by the press if united get off to a bad start, theyll all blame him for not getting a big name quality player, but overall I think he is doing the right thing by getting some good young talent and the united coaches can mould into the players they need
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I have a feeling some of the comments above are Man United fans grinning obliviously but slightly worried underneath. If I had travelled through time from now, back six months and provided the news that Man United would sell Ronaldo, Tevez and buy in Michael Owen, Valencia and Obertan you might have laughed in my face. I'm not saying this to ruffle feathers at all. United probably have a decent enough squad to mount a serious challenge anyway and possibly retain the title. I'm just saying that this transfer window has been a weird one for United but no United fan seems to want to acknowledge this.

Imagine if Liverpool had sold Torres or Gerrard and brought in Michael Owen?
I'm going make a thread about it !
This is a thread about it?
Haha you caught us. To be honest I am a little worried about it. The people we signed were great bargains, but I don't think it will be good enough. Fergie might just be talking out of his arse than make a late signing, which I'm hoping for. Yes we can still retain the title with the talent that we got but it will be a nail-biter. We have to see what Owen can produce and if Valencia will be great now that he's surrounded by greatness. I don't see Obertan playing that much. In a few years he will be good if he stays healthy because I think he looks really frail all bone and no muscle. Only time will tell
Yea We might be able to retain the Title But that's not enough, Just Hope Fergie makes a huge late singing that he's been working on undercover. And Truthfully if we have one more good signing I think we're good. Exactly Tom Time will tell
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Do you really expect him to stop buying? I don't.... He could make a very secretive transfer for a big player.... Or maybe it's one of his "mind games" again!
It better be a mind game because the squad look very weak only the defence!
How can you say the squad looks weak, there only 2 players gone, this is a squad that has won back to back titles and made back to back champions league finals! The squad is one of the best in the world
Only two players gone? We're not talking about Neville and Scholes here - we're talking Ronaldo and Tevez, who were essentially Uniteds primary goal getters. Any way you look at it (and I think you are looking at it through blinkers) United will suffer the loss next season unless everyone else really raises their game and finds the extra 40-60 goals a season that Ronaldo + Tevez provided
That because they were on the field, the other players still no how to make runs!

For example: if tevez was not on to get a header or shot someone else would have most likely been it that position to take that shot or header.

Yes we need someone to step up and get a few more goals, but 40-60 is saying that no one is going to fill those positions that ronaldo and tevez left and theres gonig to be a blank patch on the field with no united players. I think we will be about 10-20 goals short but not 40-60
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Every one is losing jobs due to recession and the prices of the players are almost sky high, he also sold his player for a good price. I guess he is waiting for the recession to end
I've been reading up about old strawberry-nose Ferguson and his gin-soaked claims that he won't be buying any more players. Man United fans can call it crafty mind games. I call it alzheimers.

Rejoice: "Manchester United chief executive David Gill says the English champions may still add to their squad - despite Sir Alex Ferguson claiming his spending is done."

However, don't rub your hands just yet.
United's owners, the Glazer family, incurred astronomical debt in completing their takeover of the club, and may prefer to use the cash to improve their financial position. Earlier this summer, they caused consternation amongst fans of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers American Football franchise by not spending all of the money permitted to them under the draft system, and may impose similar strictures upon United.

Both quotes taken from Link: soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=661095&sec=tra...
I have seen That By the way. That doesn't mean it's true it's just speculation anyone could say that. I think we will sign another player, well actually we just did, but another player besides Biram Diouf.

Sir Alex is crafty though so are all of the United staff, I'm expecting some strengthening to our squad still
If the Glazer family was really restricting their budget, they wouldn't have been given a 100 million pound spending limit. I'm sure the Glazers would have loved to take 70 million of the Ronnie transfer but they offered it up to Sir Alex. I don't think Fergie likes spending an absurd amount of money on players (especially with the inflated prices of players this transfer window.... Thanks a lot Real Madrid and Man City). So the Glazers may be getting a healthy chunk of the transfer budget back anyway

Kick4Life - changing lives through football