Forums / The Terrace: Casual Footy Banter
Order: Newest / Oldest
Next World Player Of The Year.
Realmanchester (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Who should be the next world player?

I always had one player in my mind, but I never thought he would be a strong enough contestant, but after his recent match, I think he can make the top 3, and even possibly be the next world player.... Wayne Rooney!

During yesterday's match, he just amazed me even more than ever before, he showed skill, pace, shooting, passing, dribbling and skill. The way he moved the ball around the midfield and in the box just made United feel alive. Taking shot after shot, mostly by himself. Making chances. He is a very loyal guy too, even though with big that are over 70 million pounds from Barcelona and Real Madrid, he has stayed with his team and shown his love

Rooney currently holds the highest number of goals in the English Premier League, he has more goals than any other player from the Premiera Division and the Italian Serie A league. He is the second highest goalscorer at national level. And many more. I understand that in EPL they have played more games, but still looking at it, he is doing pretty amazing so far and if there was voting for the next Player of the Year my vote will go to Wayne Rooney, even though there will be contestants like [C.] Ronaldo, Gonzales Higuain, and of course the current World Player Lionel Messi.

Wayne Rooney = Next best player of the year
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Messi again woot I think he will get it or maybe rooney. Just someone out of the ordinary for once
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Rooney? Really. I really believe he is behind a load of strikers at this moment. For instance Torres, Drogba and Villa etc. He cannot go past defenders as well as the ones I already stated. He is strong, dependable in a tight situation where others may miss a shot. He is a good player and his time will come too.... But not yet.

Now I don't believe the winner of the world cup will be best player in the world....
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I too believe Rooney isn't of the Quality to be named the Worlds bets player. In My opinion to be the best you have to have the speed and ability get past players, good vision and set piece taking doesn't hurt either.

Haha Well apparently Fifa doesn't agree they just go for whoever won the biggest competition that year
Its hard to say, thanks for helping me. I will say a few things

Rooney is special to a lot of players. He is hungry for goals, never ending talent. The way he plays makes us refer his style to legends such as Best himself. A future Super star for England and Manchester United.

I'm proud to have him in the premier league
Well thanks for not going on and trashing him, you know I like him and I'm also proud to have him in the EPL. But It's true he's not the best player you could ever have
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I have to say that rooney is not as good as many other players. He is a great striker don't get me wrong but he's just not as good as some. Drogba will get it before rooney if you ask me. But who knows, anything is possible right
Should this be in off topics?
Doesn't matter does it?
It's not really "off topic" since it's about footy
Charlie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I guess it doesn't matter if no one can see it, but ill move it anyway...
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I don't think Rooney will win it as there are many other strikers scored more than him.
Fabregas and Drogba have good chance this time. Drogba is playing like a beast and Fabe, he already has 14 goals and 16 assists!
Senthil (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Drogba, hero of chelsea! I believe him
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Fabregas will be the next world player if he continues like this(scoring in almost every game)
Haules (Chelsea) 4 years ago
If he wins an important tittle with Arsenal. I think Xavi will be the next world player
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Yup. More possibility for Fab to get the award this time. Its just half a season and he has already got 9-10 goals and 16 assists!
I've been thinking....

I believe its gonna' a striker next year, or it deserves to be a striker. I have my money on drogba. Its a fact he is stronger, faster better then any other striker in the world, let alone the premier league. He has shown us how determined he is, and when he is at his best he can net in hattricks and assist to his other team mates.

He is for me the best overall forward in the world, has pace, control and rarely gets injured
It must be Drog or Fab
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 4 years ago
World Player Of The Year why not Fabregas some how I don't think he is quite getting the attention he deserves he has been instrumental in everything arsenal has done this season his record is up there with the likes of Lampard which shows that he is doing the Bizzness.

Somehow.... I think it will not be him and will probably be someone playing for Barca or Real Madrid just because the attention the two clubs have been attracting this year. Ronaldo being taken from the Prem has taken away a bit of glamour and the talk will be more about the two top Spanish clubs
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Well you are forgetting that the award this year won't really be based on club performance. It is a World Cup year, so whoever leads there team to a World Cup title and displays excellent skill throughout the tournament will win. It could be Fabregas or Xavi if Spain win, possibly even Fernando or David Villa. However I think Messi will repeat as World Player of the Year, because I believe he will lead Argentina to the World Cup Final. And we all know what good form he is at Barcelona right now. Ronaldo never performs for Portugal and he is playing like shoite right now for Madrid. Rooney is a very good player, but last World Cup he didn't perform that well, I believe Steven Gerrard was their leading scorer as a winger. Gerrard would be a good choice but hasn't really been performing up to his standards, however it is a new year.

It really all depends on this summer in South Africa, my guess for the short list would be as follows.

1.)Lionel Messi
2.)Francesc Fabregas
3.)Didier Drogba
4.)David Villa
5.)Steven Gerrard
I know the world cup is a big thing and that's why I'm thinking of rooney, because nation wise he has the most goals. If messi gets played wing he will do alot for argentina and for ronaldo it just depends if his country wants it bad enough. But my money is on rooney
Right on Rarima - except for Fabby. Don't think his time has come. Now the problem with the premier league is that we have soo many players. A lot special like fabregas - asharvin. But we often over look them alot, I agree.

But the fact is fabregas is too young, yes he is captain but there is too much quality in the premier league and HE WILL BE OVER looked again. I'm sure of it,
Fabregas is not the world's best, but underrated in the international scene, He was only a sub in Euro 2008, really a player of his quality shouldn't be wasting his time on a bench
Haha he scored that goal I remember, was it penaltys. Now he really showed an impression int he euros. I think that was his best show. I think he at that perfomance he can deffo reach a high status like messi.

Just give him time. He is gonna' own
Oh I know He's pretty awesome Center Mid for his age, His vision is just amazing and I liked watch Arsenal games in the Past where he hooked up with Henry. Those Long balls where exciting.

Haha I think it's funny where like the only two on here debating at this hour, it's like and empty shop but we're still interested
Haha yes we are alone (Sorry Meebo Left me )    Those days we saw glimses of his potential. And yeah henry was lovely to watch
HEY we got the chat room remember, could you get on that? Yes haha it's kinda lonely around here I feel like you and me are the only ones here but we're talking in a strange way (through the forums )
But I don't really think that argentina will reach world cup finals. Everyone just forgot the way argentina were suffering to qualify for the worldcup.
All of the sudden how come they can become a good team and perform well in the worldcup.
Also messi never performs well at inter-national stages so I don't think so...
I Also Haven't seen Messi Preform at the international stage. I'm sure you'll just come up with some video to prove your point Rari but Right now he just seems to lack something when playing for Argentina. Course everyone does. Sad for such a Talented squad
The problem with argentina is the fact they havent got a full team, yes you can call them talented but they lack so much too. Just look at thier defence, they got collochini? I mean why would you put a newcastle man in there.

Also thier is a huge lack of confidence when on the attack, ill say tevez is withought a doubt there best perfomer in any game, well Zanetti, Macherano and Messi do good but they just can't perfom thier own indivisual talents when the spot light is on them.

And Tevez needs to stop getting red cards But I agree Their defence needs some serious work. I mean I was watching a game and I see collochini. Seriously? Really? The best they can do is get a man who plays in the champioship, he's not bad but not the best.
In The attack They look like shy little puppies except for Tevez. And he's the leading bull dog, but somehow he doesn't start a lot with Freaking Maradona in there
Well qualifiers are a really bad indication of how teams will actually do in the World Cup. Argentina when they won it in '86 hardly qualified, same with Brazil in 2002 and there are many other historic examples of this. However it will be hard for Argentina to advance to the final with Maradona at the helm, I think he should be fired personally but who knows maybe he will prove me wrong. It will be hard for any team to reach the final though, it is so competitive this year.

ManUK I probably could find a video of Messi performing for Argentina, but recently he really hasn't been doing that well. In the Olympics of 2008 he played really well, and in other competitions he has done very good things, but not of late, ever since Maradona has been coach he hasn't done well. I thought he played really well for Argentina in the 2006 World Cup, but others would disagree with me, I just remember having never seen a player like him before, keeping the ball so close to his foot at such high speeds. So it all depends really. And I did forget to put Ronaldo on the list, he will surely be on the short list, and deserves to be really. Move Fabregas down to third and take out David Villa, Ronaldo in second place
Yea You forgot to put Ronaldo in there (how could you!). I'm not saying Messi has Never preformed on the international stage. That was my point, Maradona Has put a whole mood of incompetence over the team. They lack self belief. It seems. They look scared out there, no confidence in them selves.

Somehow Maradona has mismanaged them. All I know is that he needs out - a team like Argentina shouldn't be just barely qualifying for the World cup. Even with their obvious faluts such as defence. Oh and also looking at your list, Do you think Villa is better than Torres? I myself can't decide
Hahaha, ya I forgot Ronaldo, it's because I don't like him so much lol. Law of attraction right there he really should be on the list though, he is one of the best players in the world, only Messi is better I think, maybe Kaka or Stevie G if they can regain their form, but for now it is those two on top.

Yes Maradona has really f****d the pooch(excuse my language, I know the footytube machine will haha) with the Argentine national team. He really should dismissed if you ask me. But I think Argentina may come out of this haze and really come out firing in the World Cup. I think Torres is better, but Villa tends to perform better for Spain, and Torres may not be fit for the World Cup. So that's the reason why, I do think Fernando is better though overall, Villa just fits into the national team better.

P. S. It's great to see you and Sergio chatting between forums like we use to do so often haha
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Haha! Wow you guys amaze me! Another prejudice outlook a players shining from the leagues of Europe to be world player of the year right? Is World Cup time people!The Greatest Sporting event in the world. The world player of the year is always the player that stood out and help their team win in the world cup. 94 Romario 98 Zidane 02 Ronaldo 06 Canavaro? Yes Canavaro because Italy won. You guys surprise me everyday
King sick - are you gonna' stop critiising or gonna' post your own. I would like to make spite of your opinion since you been a total moody arse lol
LOL Hey he came back didn't he? Course he isn't acting any different than when he was here Still angry and moody
Haha great to have em faithfull users back
Haha Yes Even I they where a bit "iffy". Lol dare I mention Berbatov?
Ltm017 4 years ago
Oh leave him alone. He is a "I think I know it all" just like the two of you. He's just more "expressive" with it. Plus I play better than he does and that will make anyone grumpy
Haha its cool, kick sick he is a good guy
Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
I think Lionel Messi will keep the talent, skill and speed he has until next year, and he'll be voted the player of the year
Rooney scored four goals. All those goals can go toward his application for world player. LOL
Gbherron (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Players of the Year for the future:
Marouane Chamakh

Sergio Canales

Neymar

Taison

Higuain

No none of them are gonna' be be called best players

As For Charmach - Canarles - Neymar - Taison = they are young stars that will do for the future, but certantley won't every win the " PFA " or Balondor, why? Becouse they are not good enough and aint the type that will get sucess in the near future compared to others such as Fabregas, Aguera etc etc. They just aint good enough, thier good indivisuals but just won't get there ok

As for higuain, he is doing good, back on form this season for madrid, always fighting for first team football, he seems a good prospect for a striker in the spanish league, I could give him a chance but as for the others.... Nahh!
Agreed, Higuain is the only one who has a chance to be the worlds best striker. But As I've said before I do not think anyone that doesn't have the ability to beat a player should have the right to be the World's Best.

Your gonna' need someone with great dribbling skills. Like past players of the Year: Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka.

As for the Others they just look like the regular young Talent, There are few of them that actually become World Class
Yep I don't think it will be any of those players. Higuain has an outside chance he has been on form with the amount of attention he has gotten maybe it will be him at some point. Chamakh it depends on what club he goes to but I really can't see any of the players even in the future but only time will tell
Andy (Rangers) 4 years ago
Canales has looked fierce in the matches he has played for Racing so far this season, so calm and collected. Very few 19-year olds have such composure, Real Madrid seem to think so too!

Real Madrid are also supposed to have their claws into Neymar, having arranged a shady deal behind Santos' back with his agent, having fought off interest from a number of other major European clubs.

I haven't heard a great deal about Taison although he is very good in Football Manager
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Rooney, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
Rooney is without a doubt the best player in the world. He is the only top class striker that can play anywhere on the field and do a good job. He has also proven his goal scoring worth by scoring 20 goals so far this season with lots of games still to come. For the last few seasons he has been playing a supporting role to ronaldo. But now ronaldo is gone he can express himself. He has already equal the top epl goal scorer of last season anleka who had 19 with half way still to go. According to legends alan shearer and andy cole rooney is the best striker in england and the epl. There is no doubt he will win this award
But goals alone doesn't matter. He has to win many trophies with his team. Since this is world cup year, England has to perform well in the World cup and at the same time man utd have to win the league and champions league, only then there is a possibility for Rooney to win the player of the award otherwise NO!
Well in that case, then messi isn't much use for argentina so he won't be next world player? Ronaldo he isn't much better in national level so he won't be world player? If that was the case then its just a battle for rooney and kaka, but rooney has outplayed him so far this season. Rooney THE BEST
Its not just a battle between Kaka and Rooney. There are many others out there!Fabregas is doing great, you gotta' consider him. David villa has also scored a lot of goals, just 3 goals less than rooney. Also both are from spain, Since Spain has a good chance at Worlcup they have a better chance. If Ivory coast could do well in the world cup, then Drogba definitely has a good chance. SO its not a race between Rooney and Kaka
Kaka is NOT even in the race, i'd say
No once again I must shame the brazilian. He has been struggling to contribute anything to the madrid team, he is not the player that would suit real's system. I watched thier last game and when van der vart played, I had a feeling the chemistry in the team was better. More passing, more through balls
That's right!Another great player ruined by madrid. But he is a great player and I think soon he'll adapt to the conditions there
I saw Madrid game yesterday. I was again surprised when I saw Kaka play. He did nothing except play a few bad balls. Other than that he wasn't really involved at all. I don't know what his deal is, but he sure doesn't like it there in Madrid. He looks really down compared to Milan
Honestly, I don't think it'll be Rooney. Fabregas and Drog, are miles better than him, trust me. And please, don't hit me, its just my opinion
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
I agree with you that fabregas is great but you must know drogba is without a doubt one of the dirtiest players of the game and that will prevent him from winning
I don't think FIFA count all those things.  And after all, even Rooney dives sometimes!
Its a fact drogba is dirty, but i've seen signs of muturity lol and god what happend to ronaldo? He goes studs up if things don't go his way. I believe drogba should not get penalted for his dives, he is still such a great player

And no we aint gonna' hit yah prag
Drogba is Yea, a dirty player, a mean player. That's why I hate him so. But it's painful to me how much I hate him, and yet he's so good. He's a world class player whether I hate him or not, And No one ever get penalized for dives even if they deserve it
Somere Ronaldo is a diver that hasnt stopped him from winning anything.

Agreed drogba is dirty but as long as he is the best in the world he will still get the award

Kick4Life - changing lives through football